For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

OMP 0.3?

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: OMP 0.3?

Post by Smirftsch »

should replace galaxy.int as well to make it better fit here.

But sure, point some people here. To have some more people testing can't be wrong so that the "official" version is working as expected. Especially SwFMod is rather new.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Looks like plenty of people have been trying them out, but are replying in the posts I made, rather than posting here as I have suggested.

No real surprise there, eh.

I'm going to collect the threads here that have had replies, so I can try and keep a thread on the threads.

Mixed results so far (but I get asked similar questions).
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4569
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/beta-testers-wanted-for-new-renderers-t1921.html
http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=752
http://www.unrealkillers.com/f14/beta-testers-wanted-new-renderers-3552/

I submitted a post at unrealadmin but it seems to have not been deemed worth publishing, or the browser did not submit properly.
Once I've checked my emails and back-track some more, I'll hopefully add more links.

My first experience with the new D3D9 renderer was laggy, till I tweaked a little.
I'll reset to the defaults and make a note of the changes.

The music in OpenAL is rather loud on my nForce2. I tend to use SW mode.
Anything louder than levels 1-3 (32-96) is way too loud compared to the effects.

Q: Are the music, FX and announcer mixed separately ?
I know that generally the more channels I use to mix with, it often gets quieter.
Hmmm, I guess if I cut the channels down and see what difference it makes to the relative volumes.

Not too sure if having the default in the new SwFMOD set to use 32bit floating point is a great idea?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Looks like plenty of people have been trying them out, but are replying in the posts I made, rather than posting here as I have suggested.

No real surprise there, eh.
Sometimes I really wonder if its all worth it with a response that small. Of course, I could and maybe should have done earlier, but on the other hand in all these years no one ever asked me about the sources for the audio stuff to do something themselves for UT. Now it even seems that we have to work to work on it, no single response here at all. So far for interest and community work. Without you nothing probably would have happened at all. Thanks to you though, you are doing a good job here :)
I'm going to collect the threads here that have had replies, so I can try and keep a thread on the threads.

Mixed results so far (but I get asked similar questions).
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4569
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/beta-testers-wanted-for-new-renderers-t1921.html
http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=752
http://www.unrealkillers.com/f14/beta-testers-wanted-new-renderers-3552/
Thanks, keeps things easier.
My first experience with the new D3D9 renderer was laggy, till I tweaked a little.
I'll reset to the defaults and make a note of the changes.
To answer directly including some questions from the threads, the renderer is basically what you said already there, its more or less the same as UTGLR with some small fixes/changes, the main part is indeed the sound stuff. Anyway, a good base for settings is always welcome to be included in the defaults.
The music in OpenAL is rather loud on my nForce2. I tend to use SW mode.
Anything louder than levels 1-3 (32-96) is way too loud compared to the effects.

Q: Are the music, FX and announcer mixed separately ?
I know that generally the more channels I use to mix with, it often gets quieter.
Hmmm, I guess if I cut the channels down and see what difference it makes to the relative volumes.
In OpenAL the sound output is done purely with OpenAL, the entire music output is based on old FMod, so we have entirely different situations and mixing here.
I never had the impression that music is to loud compared to sound, but I can compare the volume settings again. Wondering if it has to do with my SB Audigy and the often included onboard soundchips such as realtek. Will check on another PC yet.
Not too sure if having the default in the new SwFMOD set to use 32bit floating point is a great idea?
I really need to add a ReadMe, the original SwFMod was made for Deus-Ex and although it was rewritten, fixed and complemented quite a lot by dots, it still uses a lot of the original set up. I didn't see a real disadvantage in having it float though.

Well, more things later, breakfast now :)
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

There is one more question. Why detail textures and a fog are incompatible? And whether it is possible to correct it?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I'd need to check the details again but its some technical limitation inside the renderer, in any case it is not fixable without updating the Render.dll and even there we didn't find a suitable (or at least feasible) way yet. One of the reasons we added new DistanceFog to 227, which doesn't have this problem.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

I'd need to check the details again but its some technical limitation inside the renderer, in any case it is not  fixable without updating the Render.dll and even there we didn't find a suitable (or at least feasible) way yet.
Strange, but D3D10Drv not have this problem. You can view its source [url]http://www.kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/files/src/[/url]
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

That's something nobody noticed so far. Maybe he found some kind of hack. Interesting information.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Cheers for showin' the love and trying to look after us.
I'll keep on rousing the troops whenever I can (There is a big non-English speaking scene I can't help with though).
I am actually a member of some Russian Unreal groups, so I could see if there are any English speaking members who want to come and play :D

My initial laggyness I cannot recreate, so I'm guessing it was because of my previous D3D9 settings.
The current defaults seem fine for my ATI.
Though I switch off AA for use in UEd, as it lags like hell in wire-frame view.
This was raised with Shadow in the past, and the suggestion was to default off, or make sure the potential slow-down of the view window is documented. Also to tell users that if they have manually set the AA settings in their Windows drivers, this will still be on.

I favour using DX9 for play and GL for UEd, so I don't have to change anything.
nVidia users should do the opposite  ;)

I have been using the new renderer instead of the AL, and it has behaved very well on the old nForce2.
It does have EAX 2 HW support so I should test that for a while.
Q: Is there likely to be an entry in the wiki about the new SwFMOD ?
There are many more variables, and it would be handy to have a resource to point people at.

It sounds great with the Chaos mod, as you can hear bullets travelling past your head (hopefully! If you only hear the 1 bullet, you were out of luck).

Q: Does any of the new audio functionality have to be rendered into the map ?
I ask this, as I noticed the reference to ray-tracing when using UEd2.1.

I'll try and kick people over here again to be more useful.
I'm struggling with staying on line at the mo' so trying to run around answering questions I know little about is a pain.

Shadow is obviously interested in the changes made to the video renderer, as he would like to keep in line with the lineage, and I know he keeps a close eye on your work with the engine.

We had a discussion about version info with his SDK renderers, and agreed that it should be embedded like common DLLs.
This will help people identify their installed version, if it is not reported in the log file (which is also recommended).
If you can do the same that would be groovy.
The 2 of you need to chat really.

Q: I am wondering about the EAX zones system in 227i, and if that can be added to UEd via an SDK addon, or whether UEd and UT would need rebuilding ?
We now have the audio capability but no access.
I am guessing UT (game) ignores any of the new EAX tags, if I add them in UEd2.1 ?

After pointing Shadow at one of the Unreal projects (onscreen computers/interactive screens) he said he'd try and add the overlay to UEd, so I know he can get round the lack of access to the source (well that is the point of the SDK I guess).

We don't have the gloriousness of some of the outstanding projects that are growing around your baby (227i), but its getting there.
The SDK UT weapons aren't quite as polished as the Unreal HD weapons project, but that just needs someone to take the baton from Shadow, and "make something Unreal".
His tech-demo map is very impressive. Love the way he has done flames for torches.

Thanks for being such a trooper with your health as it is.
8-) Your work is very welcome.
Last edited by Dr.Flay™ on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Possible to make the mesh is not cuted in Player Setup?
[img]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4190/67333526.jpg[/img]
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Possible to make the mesh is not cuted in Player Setup?
Try changing the window size.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

[quote][quote]Possible to make the mesh is not cuted in Player Setup?
[/quote]
Try changing the window size.[/quote]
No result.
This problem is not on the d3d7 and d3d10:
[img]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1485/58615469.jpg[/img]

Last edited by sn260591 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krzesi
OldUnreal Member

Post by krzesi »

There is a problem with alaudio, fmod. If i set 120fps at inis while using new audio drivers fps will stay at 60. When i switch to old audio driver (galaxy) the problem desapair and fps are set how much i want. Anyone get the same problems? Also this problems are only at single player and on lan servers. On internet games frameramelimit gap is ok.
krzesi
OldUnreal Member

Post by krzesi »

With the newest 0,99b version problem is solved.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Is it possible to add FXAA (or SMAA) in the renderings? Standard multisampling lowers fps, if the frame gets a lot of translucent sprites.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

In the latest OMP0.99b d3d9 for UT, it is not possible to disable ZRangeHack. This is important for NaliWeaponsIII, which automatically changes this value for some weapons to display correctly.

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”