For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

VR Port of Unreal

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Farantir

VR Port of Unreal

Post by Farantir »

Hi, i am new to this forum and apologise if this is a dublicate. I haven't found anything related.

I couldn't find any Virtual reality port for unreal so i decided i would try to create my own.
However, i can't find the Sourcecode for the Engine anywhere. There are a ton of tutorials regarding unrealscript, but none about modifying the source itself.
Does anyone know, where i can find the source code for unreal? i have found an js port in emscripten, so it appears to be available somehow
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Re: VR Port of Unreal

Post by ividyon »

Epic has not released the source code for any of the Unreal series games, so if you saw it being used anywhere, that's most likely a leak.
Farantir

Post by Farantir »

ok, fair enough.
But how are the Linux ports and community paches for unreal and unreal tournement developed then?
I highly doubt that they are written in assembly.
ividyon
OldUnreal Member

Post by ividyon »

From what I understand, a small amount of developers formally recognized as the OldUnreal 227 team have received closed source access and aren't permitted to share it, or even invite more members without a change in contract. This currently includes Smirftsch, .:..: (developing patch 227), and the team developing the v469 patch for UT.

I attribute the decline of the Unreal community (in comparison to Doom, Quake etc.) largely to this. If we had open source a decade ago, I imagine the game would be a lot more lively. But Epic has an iron grip on the source for some reason, which stifles development. There's only so much that 1-2 guys with busy real lives can do to keep developing the game, and while it's commendable, it could be so much more.
Farantir

Post by Farantir »

Thanks for the Explanation.
Thats actually really unfortunate. I have always wonderd, why there are so many quake related projects, but unreal kinda vanished.

I consider the vr port a lost cause then. I could try to use the emscripten to create a webvr version, but at that point, its not much better than assembly and i am not commited to that.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

knowing absolutely nothing about how to make a game "VR compatible":

it can probably be done all in unrealscript with DrawPortal on a HUD or something late in the PostRender chain so you can draw both eyes. That combined with a custom playerpawn for aiming at arbitrary locations via something other than ViewRotation, it's probably possible without the source.

the source to renderers here can be built with public headers, but i'm not sure that you can do multiple viewports without unrealscript calls to begin with
https://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
Farantir

Post by Farantir »

Thanks, i will have a look into it.
I havent ported a game to vr before, but as far as i know, all vr realted stuff is handled by a library called openVR witch will need to be somehow included to be used.

I think i will have a look on how it was done for quake first (https://vittorioromeo.info/quakevr) since it should be quite comparable.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

In Epic Games Launcher Storefront there's something named like VR Funhouse. Possibly something like VR Chat. How about testing it on Unreal 1995 tech demo, Unreal Gold,Jazz Jackrabbit 3 tech demo in ue1 instead of Oculus Quest 2 and Unreal Engine 4? My vr headset Oculus Rift S got 360 degrees black screen. I contacted official public Facebook/Oculus Rift tech support. In some bug report log it turned out to be something wrong with optical cable. So is there any way how to fix it?
In past Nintendo and Sega were testing both their own very early VR headsets.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The only reason, apart from the leaks, why source code isn't avaiable is simply because tim and co. hasn't found time to release a "clean version", UE4 is free so its not like there's iron grip on this anymore and Tim stated he wanted to do it, but then the fortnite boom came and they forgot about Unreal and everything.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So what's wrong with it? Something with Optical Cable?

So is there any way how to fix it?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Moo. I might as well say that. What? Optical cable now? How does that have to do with unreal source code or whatever? just....

Oh nevermind you talked about it in your post before. Well, way to jump ahead and confuse people really.....I will start wearing confused travolta dress...
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:01 am Moo. I might as well say that. What? Optical cable now? How does that have to do with unreal source code or whatever? just....

Oh nevermind you talked about it in your post before. Well, way to jump ahead and confuse people really.....I will start wearing confused travolta dress...
Well I think I'm gonna try it maybe. By the way all I had to was to format my PC. Erase everything. And VR headset Oculus Rift S is working again.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I'm not sure if there's here somewhere generic threads section dedicated to VR headsets without any fanmade unofficial open source projects. I stepped on the cable and now it's not working anymore. Probably for good at time. I did it accidentally I wouldn't do it on purpose. It was very expensive hardware device.
Okay it's working again.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”