For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Help with Software Renderer

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Jam373

Help with Software Renderer

Post by Jam373 »

Hi all, just started playing unreal gold for the first time with oldunreal patch 227i! Having a blast. Anyway, I'm a weirdo that loves no texture filtering (I can't stand blurry flat textures and love the retro look) and I've gotten a few levels deep with NoFiltering turned on with Direct3D9. But NoFiltering definitely gives some visual bugs though I'm sure you're all aware of that. I've heard software renderer is what I really should be using to get that retro look without the bugs but launching with it gives a critical error: "General protection fault! History: UWindowViewport::ddSetMode <-" ect ect. (I can post the whole error if it helps). Any ideas?

I'm running it on windows 10 with a nvidia GTX 860M, but I have an intel hd graphics 4600 integrated card too.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Help with Software Renderer

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

screen resolution is probably too high. try lowering it in unreal.ini

see this section:

Code: Select all

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=1920
WindowedViewportY=1080
WindowedColorBits=32
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080
FullscreenColorBits=32

...or try this with d3d8/9 viewtopic.php?p=95574#p95574
Jam373

Post by Jam373 »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:49 am screen resolution is probably too high. try lowering it in unreal.ini

...or try this with d3d8/9 viewtopic.php?p=95574#p95574
I lowered resolution in ini... and it worked! So thank you very much! However Software renderer has even bigger bugs for me: Trees that you can see through walls, the water shimmers incredibly quickly and... the physics are tied to framerate! Looking at the ground causes double speed.
So unless anyone has fixes for these I guess I'm sticking to NoFiltering.

I actually already saw your answer to that post, its what made me want to try software! But as you say that feels like an annoying workaround, I really don't want to start a new campaign at this point so I guess I'll try the keyboard bind.

Edit: tried the No Smoothing option but alas it isn't what I'm looking for. It still smooths at a certain distance whereas NoFiltering gives that grainy noise for distant textures; aesthetic!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

that "smoothing" is probably that you actually need to crank up Anisotropic filtering to 16x. it's not actually "smoothing" it just looks like it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

you're not going to be able to fix the >120 FPS bug with software rendering. seeing through walls is "normal" on software renderer, and it's deprecated.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”