For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New forums online

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Smirftsch
Administrator

New forums online

Post by Smirftsch »

The new forums are online now, all data should be migrated and cleaned up. I had to replace a lot of html entities manually, it is possible I missed something, but overall it should be readable and searchable.
Since the migration did not take over all permissions and usergroups I needed to re-work a lot of stuff, but if you feel something is wrong yet with your permissions or account, PM me.

Login into the forums with your known login name and password. If you experience trouble, try resetting your password. If you are still unable to login, please send me an E-Mail to Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Please report issues, problems or suggestions here.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: New forums online

Post by Hyper »

Nice, congratulations on the database conversions.

Please tweak the color scheme a bit more for readability. For example, the black area where I type this text looks the same as the rest of the page with no clear boundary, and signatures do not look properly separated from the user posts.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Thanks, after all it was less complicated than I thought, just some work :)

I changed the colors a bit, normally the messagebox here to enter text should have a green border on hover and when in input mode. No idea yet why it doesn't ^^
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well it's been a shock opening the site today but it's nice. :)
Just a few comments :
When clicking the link to the forums from the main page, it tries to open it in a sort of frame in the main page and at leats FF doesn't want it (see attached).
Also, there's like 2000 different icons I can chose for a post, I'm sure you can cut it down to like 5 or better, 0.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Did you try to clear your browser cache? I tried the forum link in a couple of different browsers and also in Linux and Windows, so it should be fine.

However, yes, it is opening in an iframe (yet)- which I am not entirely satisfied with either, but for the moment it seemed to be the best way. I needed to move the page now in order to get the downloads sorted and continue work on the mainpage, most likely this will not be the final solution.

Still, you should be able to open it standalone with the direct link https://forums.oldunreal.com/ - but I am sure you tried that already ;)

As for the icons...I just installed some icon pack to give the people something to toy with...perhaps its really to much.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I removed the most part of the icons and left those which (I think) may be useful, what do you think, is it ok like that?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56 am Well it's been a shock opening the site today but it's nice. :)
Just a few comments :
When clicking the link to the forums from the main page, it tries to open it in a sort of frame in the main page and at leats FF doesn't want it (see attached).
Also, there's like 2000 different icons I can chose for a post, I'm sure you can cut it down to like 5 or better, 0.

It happens when oldunreal.com tries to load the forums in a frame/iframe with url www.oldunreal.com.
A solution would be to force the website to either always use the www. subdomain or not.

External links also need to be addressed if you want to use an iframe. For example, the youtube video in my signature will be blocked to load in an iframe and should use a new window (target="_blank") or the full browser window (target="_top") instead.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yeah, I know about the general issues with the iframe, therefor the alternative with the subdomain. As said, its only a temporary solution. Both addresses are valid though, https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/ and https://forums.oldunreal.com.
But I still wonder why FF refuses to load the page for you, this definitely should be working- its no unusual usage and at least it does work here without any issues, that's why I wondered if this is maybe just some cache problem.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

on a second thought...probably everything is better than an iframe.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Site is looking mint! Glad to see we can use the forum on mobile now too without having to switch to the default light theme.

Speaking of mobile: There is next to no border around forum posts on there. Almost the same color as the background. I saw that people already brought this up about the desktop site, where it seems to be mostly fixed, but mobile is still in full black mode.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Are we sure this isn't newbies playground? every non-admin user is a "newbie"
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Skywolf wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:00 pm Site is looking mint! Glad to see we can use the forum on mobile now too without having to switch to the default light theme.

Speaking of mobile: There is next to no border around forum posts on there. Almost the same color as the background. I saw that people already brought this up about the desktop site, where it seems to be mostly fixed, but mobile is still in full black mode.
Thanks, will have a look
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:59 am Are we sure this isn't newbies playground? every non-admin user is a "newbie"
lol, can rename it, but anything wrong with that?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

that "newbie" rank is supposed to change with post counts as I recall. been a while since I used a phpBB forum
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

that "newbie" rank is supposed to change with post counts as I recall. been a while since I used a phpBB forum
ah, no surprise it doesn't work for you with this poor amount of 4370 posts.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Test for copy and paste image...
image.png
Also added favicon and find similar topics feature
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Smirftsch wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am The new forums are online now, all data should be migrated and cleaned up. I had to replace a lot of html entities manually, it is possible I missed something, but overall it should be readable and searchable.
Since the migration did not take over all permissions and usergroups I needed to re-work a lot of stuff, but if you feel something is wrong yet with your permissions or account, PM me.

Login into the forums with your known login name and password. If you experience trouble, try resetting your password. If you are still unable to login, please send me an E-Mail to Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Please report issues, problems or suggestions here.
First of all, congratulations on the hard work! Forum update has been a long overdue thing, and better for mobile navigation.

Since you asked for permission issues, I've sent you a PM. :)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Smirftsch wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 pm on a second thought...probably everything is better than an iframe.
Yes it's better now. Good work. :)

I also think it'd be nice of the background of each post was a bit lighter. Right now it's very dark grey with dark grey frame on a black background, it's a bit hard to differentiate short posts without signature. With the black background, a contrasting lighter grey would be easier to make out the limits of each post.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Don't know if this is intentional but guests (as in people that aren't logged in) can't view the attached image.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Skywolf wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:49 pm Don't know if this is intentional but guests (as in people that aren't logged in) can't view the attached image.
Yeah, was depending on attachment permissions. Enabled it, doubt this will cause any trouble or abuse.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:18 pm
Smirftsch wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 pm on a second thought...probably everything is better than an iframe.
Yes it's better now. Good work. :)

I also think it'd be nice of the background of each post was a bit lighter. Right now it's very dark grey with dark grey frame on a black background, it's a bit hard to differentiate short posts without signature. With the black background, a contrasting lighter grey would be easier to make out the limits of each post.
yeah, need to mess with it some yet, not entirely satisfied either...
x21
OldUnreal Member

Post by x21 »

Looks great. thumbsup
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Also, the little icone showing links are out of the current website (the small square with an arrow pointing up and right) could go and it'd be nice if the forum did not assume you subscribe to a thread when you post in it.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:18 am it'd be nice if the forum did not assume you subscribe to a thread when you post in it.
Looks like you can turn that off
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Here's another thing: "Remember me" (a.k.a. stay logged in after you close the tab/browser) doesn't work as it's supposed to. Every time I enter the forum, I have to re-login.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Neon_Knight wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:37 am Here's another thing: "Remember me" (a.k.a. stay logged in after you close the tab/browser) doesn't work as it's supposed to. Every time I enter the forum, I have to re-login.
yeah, happens too for me, I believe this to be some kind of server issue, but I have no real information about this yet. If so, it will be most likely past once the page is moved to the new server.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”