For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!

Post by Stead-Z »

Hello all!

We have just announced the start of "The Descent", which is a fun little collaborative Unreal single player mapping event taking place from now until 1st January 2021 over at UnrealSP.org.

The idea is that everybody makes a small map "segment" (play area of 4096^3) and then at the end all of the submissions are organised into a somewhat coherent storyline complemented by beginning and ending maps built by the "curator" (me :P).

While the final compiled pack will be for Unreal 227, we highly encourage people of all platforms to join in - so long as you don't use anything exclusive to UT (Botpack.u) it will all be fine!

Check out the thread including the full rules, storyline and more over here:
The Descent: An UnrealSP Collaborative Adventure!

At the end of the day we just want to get creative and have some fun :)

Cheers,
~SZ
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Re: New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!

Post by Skywolf »

So... like Half-Life TWHL Tower but Unreal? Sounds a like fun idea. Will see if I can find the time to dust off UnrealED and give it a shot.

How will inventory be handled? Will the player lose all equipment upon entering each new level like in TWHL Tower? Because if not each mapper has to design their level like the player could have any weapons and item in the game (including potentially sequence and game breaking items like jump boots and force fields).
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

It was in fact TWHL Tower (2) that triggered the discussion that led to this happening funnily enough! And yes, like there inventory will be cleared after each segment (a very handy trigger by ebd is included in the custom package for this very purpose) and how this should happen is up to the creative interpretation of the designer ;)

Would be awesome to see something from you if you get the time to do it!
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I remember french mappers doing something similar for UT2004: a tower with one mapper per level. After something like 12 stories, performance got so bad it became unplayable, but it was very fun to see how each level had a different theme, architecture, size, etc. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

We're halfway into the event now and there's some promising progress already from participants that you can find across in the thread at UnrealSP!

I'll also add that it's still not too late to have a go, so if this kind of thing takes your fancy why not give it a try :D

~SZ
Last edited by Stead-Z on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

Coming close to release now for this project (been a whole year now... jeez) and you can check out what it's about and some cheeky shots over on the ModDB page here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-descent- ... -adventure

Return to “Unreal General Forum”