For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal on Raspberry Pi

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
xan1242
OldUnreal Member

Unreal on Raspberry Pi

Post by xan1242 »

Hi guys, just wanted to share this little thing I did.

This is Windows 10 ARM64 build running Unreal 226 using its x86 emulation! (Pi 3B+)

Currently it's running only in software mode as there are no usable 64 bit graphics drivers for Windows yet so we only have framebuffer support.

Averages at around 20ish FPS (give or take 5 with frame skipping).

If I try to use WARP and D3D then it's chugging very slowly (tho I did not try D3D9, maybe that'll run a bit better).

If we only had a native Linux ARM build to play with, then maybe we could actually run it properly!
But right now it could probably be used as a server in this state.

If you're interested in playing with this, check out the pi64.win website, it takes ages to install but it has a lot of potential if drivers get made!
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal on Raspberry Pi

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Wow that looks pretty insane - I bet if you dropped the resolution to something like 320x240 you might get a considerable increase in performance! I take it there is no fullscreen support either? Anyways, that may be very interesting to play around with.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Could you try this in 480x320 in full screen?
xan1242
OldUnreal Member

Post by xan1242 »

Nope, no fullscreen for the Pi sadly... The video driver is limited to whatever UEFI sets, so it's fixed res only.

However, the nGlide driver sort of can do scaling while the desktop res being the same, but that is slow on any resolution you set it to so yea...

I just stuck to 640x480 and it works fine enough for now.

If we ever get the VC4 video drivers going on the Pi then we should be able to run the game. The CPU approximately a quadcore Pentium 3 with the x86 recompiler running.

There also is the possibility of running this in Linux in a similar fashion - a qemu chroot environment could work with the native Linux build in theory. I have to test it out in Raspbian first.

For comparison, ioquake3 (tested with OpenArena) runs above 30FPS at 720p (but with some godawful input lag).

I'll play with this when I get a bit more time after work :)
I'm planning to reinstall Windows onto a USB drive this time around since Windows loves disk I/O and SD cards aren't very good at that...
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I've got a Linux ARM build already...mmmh...
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

I've got a Linux ARM build already...mmmh...
where :o :o :o
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Not messed around with Windows ARM yet, but I assume it uses the screen values set in the config.txt file like with Linux, since that is read by the SoC before even booting the OS? If so, it would be possible to change the framebuffer width and height there, as well as the output resolution. This makes me want to try this with my Pi at some point.

Shame about the restrictions on game builds - I take it the reason behind being unable to release the Linux ARM port is the same as the Mac version?
matek5k

Post by matek5k »

Any idea how to run unreal server at Rasberry pi ?

ut@raspberrypi:~/ut-server/System $ ./ucc-bin
-bash: ./ucc-bin: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

qemu or hope that epic doesnt care if ARM linux build is also released. raspi2 B+ & beaglebone black performance was abysmal as a server, it could barely handle stock coop. raspi 4 might be okay though.
Robur

Post by Robur »

Currently you can play the standard Linux version of Unreal Tournament 2004 in Raspberry Pi 4 using Box86 with Twister OS (your best Raspberry Pi OS varianImaget for gaming).

It should yield around 30FPS at 800x600 with medium quality settings.
Last edited by Robur on Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Yes, we've got a Raspberry Pi version of Unreal 227, running on raspios and it will be released with 227j.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”