For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

What Happened With Unreal When I Installed Latest Windows 10 Patch 2004

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Fred
OldUnreal Member

What Happened With Unreal When I Installed Latest Windows 10 Patch 2004

Post by Fred »

All,

Some folks may still be using Windows version 1909. The latest update takes you to version 2004.

For me, all went well apart from two issues. First, the update changed some settings, but I managed to get them all back to where I wanted them. No big deal.

Second, the update removed my original Unreal game. I suppose the update believes the game is incompatible with the latest Windows 10, because it's old.

So what? I had it working nicely, thank you. The mods available here make it work with Windows 10. I had all the necessary modes installed to make it compatible.

I suppose, after the update, that the Unreal game was still installed in the Windows Old location, but I didn't notice that the game was missing until after I cleaned up the update. Had I noticed the missing game earlier, I could have just moved it back from the Windows Old location.

I hate it when the update makes assumptions like that. Leave my installed programs alone, thank you. Luckily, I had another computer (not updated) with the old Unreal game installed. I just copied it to an external USB hard drive, and then I copied it from there to the updated computer. Now it's installed again and working. This move saved me a lot of work. Ha! Take that, Mr. update! Punch in the nose. Bam!

Even so, the experience was annoying. Everything else seems to be fine.

Freddie
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Re: What Happened With Unreal When I Installed Latest Windows 10 Patch 2004

Post by yrex . »

I heard about a supposedly bullshit-free version called Windows 10 LTSC.
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Buster
Global Moderator

Re: What Happened With Unreal When I Installed Latest Windows 10 Patch 2004

Post by Buster »

Yup, the 2004 update messed up a few games. You just have to re-install the game. It was the DirectX 12 stuff in 2004 that did the breaking. At least Unreal is smaller, and a quick fix. Another game that stopped working and needed a re-install was The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt with all the DLC. That puppy is over 40 GB, and took a while to get going.

What I've done is copied the entire UnrealGold folder on my C drive, already patched to 227i and loaded up with the HD textures and skins, etc, onto a 128 GB USB stick. Nice and quick.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~

Return to “Unreal General Forum”