For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

A degenerate community on it's highest

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

A degenerate community on it's highest

Post by makemeunreal »

Well.

I'd like to ask server owners, and whoever who is capable of recovering every nickname/alias of a given playername.

In the last few days I spent quite some time online playing with my sister and his friend who is also our neighbor only to embarass myself again.
I let them play alone and told them to use Google translate, try to communicate with other players and just be nice.
They love this game, and my sister plays it pretty well.

But, the community made an embarassing case again.
She came to me with the messages she translated and asked why that guy says those things.

I've never seen that nickname before so I couldn't tell him why.

Here's a few screen captures from the Redrum servers:

i'm very curious to see who was behind that nickname. I've never met this kind of online behavior before.
It was me who then spoke to him but as you can see, I tried to remain calm.
What motivates these people?
What is the reason behind such a behavior?

We played on Redrum today as well and had no problem.
But this or these people found us on Deadzone too with another nickname:

Who are they and what are their intentions?
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: A degenerate community on it's highest

Post by gopostal »

Your first mistake is engaging them. Stop chatting with people expecting it to go well. Just ignore it and it will stop. People will yell into the wind for a short time when they get no response. Keep replying and it only feeds their entertainment.

Your second mistake is asking for punishment/help and it makes the problem infinitely worse. Now any troll will see you as an easy mark and it's going to happen again.

I run a mod on my server and periodically I scan the chat logs. If someone starts doing stuff like this I just remove their ability forever. Same with taunts, overuse them and you won't do them any more.

You can't 'win' this no matter what you do. Get the guy banned and he's for sure going to follow you to other servers and probably online in forums too. Some good life advice:
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

-George Bernard Shaw
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Trolls. On the interwebs. As old as the road to Rome.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

You are right. I must admit that.
I was pretty furious. I mean...

Have I ever trolled somebody on Unreal?
Yes I have. I shot an AFK "maci" into the lava at SunSpire.

But this thing is just purely pointless. What could've been the motivation?

In the end I know you are right.

He spoke spanish. That's intersting.
Last edited by makemeunreal on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Once, back in 2004 I think, a troll's mouth got himself in a few nasty altercations online. A couple of the admins had to tune him up a bit. He was so mad with me in particular that he paid for a website that posted the names of people who should be hassled in the Unreal community, because we were meanies. LOL

You know you've made it when they go out of their way to hate you.

:P
Last edited by Buster on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Yup. Buster is right.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you achieved something in life." -forgot from who this quote is.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Such people never disappear I guess, even in a game that grown up like ours. Perhaps mail the admin for a ban, other than that not worth to waste a single second more about it, guess everything else is said ;)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I have gotten emails about people being abusive in my server (in different ways than this though), and I of course banned them as soon as I found out
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I've talked about this a few times but I don't think I've told this here: A few years back I got really into Arma2 and the DayZ mod. There's a sub-mod called "Epoch" that I really enjoyed and so I thought I'd learn to dev for that. I ended up opening a couple of very popular servers and ended up writing and coding multiple AI missions that all fit together thematically across the server. In fact a lot of my work is still posted on the Epoch forums.

Of course factions developed and groups began to battle with other groups. One of the larger ones asked me to make some sort of script so prisoners could be taken as it is possible to knock someone out in Dayz mod. I wrote a simple handcuff mod, added the resources needed to the teamspeak info sheet, and posted it live in the weekly build. I really didn't think of it much more after that.

Eighteen hours later my PvP server was a ghost town. One of my longest players pulled me into an admin room as soon as I got on the teamspeak and nearly broke down. Turns out the big clan on server (and these were guys I knew for several months, normal gamer nerds) went around kidnapping everyone they could find, taking them back to their base, and simulating this elaborate forced sexual experience on them while they were restrained (I don't want to use the R word, it doesn't need to be in the search index).

This is a grown man who has played a lot of games nearly crying over the experience of being forced to endure this. He said "Kelly, I know it's just a game but I could hear these guys saying terrible things as they teabagged me and I couldn't do anything but disconnect. I'm never playing again." Arma2 has it's own in-game sound channels and even if you disconnect your body stays there so he in effect was totally at their mercy.

It made me sick to my stomach. I shut down the server. People can be DARK dude, even when you think you know them.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, this guy continued stalking my sister. Even tried to troll us on the RLCooP server. I've messaged Shivaxi in the exact minute and BAM! Banned.

It's also confirmed that this guy is Tiago.
He keeps stalking, trolling, blocking, cursing people in a daily basis on:
-Long Journey
-Zora's Keycoop
-DeadZone

He doesn't appear on DOG servers as those are like sane places.

gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Get Shiv to send me his IP, I'll add him to my ban list too. That guy was always a problem.
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

yeah i hate that, i used to be a bit sour when i was younger. but, i think in 2018, in this game. why? i don't understand why people act that way. btw, zombie coop server is down as of today. i'm not sure why though.
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

The Science of Internet Trolls:
[UDHQ]Jackrabbit
OldUnreal Member

Post by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit »

c'mon guys, just having a little bit of fun :D
MrMojoRisin
OldUnreal Member

Post by MrMojoRisin »

Lol. Who cares. All he does is shout random 4 year old insults. Dude probably has the IQ of one too.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”