For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Translations needed / 227 Localizations

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
fakeaccount

Re: Translations needed / 227 Localizations

Post by fakeaccount »

All missing PT files done but I didn't reread anything. The translation didn't follow any rules or style, sometimes I may have used formal, sometimes non formal, it's mixed. Some idioms might be inaccurate and references to shows, movies, music, might have been lost because I didn't notice that there was one.

Since a recent grammar standardization term that pt speaking countries have signed, some differences are now gone, such as "silent letter c" in many words. But there are many differences in regards to verbs, nouns and idioms.
Last edited by fakeaccount on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

OK, here's the report of everything that has been done so far:

- A few minor fixes were applied to the English .int master files, based on what I have in the latest 227j test build.

- Subtitles.int / .frt / .ptt / .plt are now removed from the Wiki as their contents was properly integrated in accordance with the system eGo implemented.

- Hungarian translation has been taken over by Gubar and is almost finished.

- Czech translation: subtitle files were updated to eGo's system, however there's still bits and pieces left to fix and the female voice lines must be recorded.

- Portuguese translation is undergoing repairs here and there and will be filled in thanks to a new helpful individual known as Lelygax. The subtitle syntax of the Inter## files is also being updated to eGo's system.

News on other languages forthcoming.

Also take note that unlike previously, this time the language packs will be rigorously and extensively tested prior to 227j's release and there will be no such issues as ties to non-existing packages (happened to Polish, my fault), untranslated strings or God knows what else. From that angle, one could say that 227j will be (language-wise) feature complete.
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Solid_Snake FirePhoenix »

what about Japanese? what about Chinese? or Korean?, I have played with quite a few Chinese, Japanese, or Korean players who do not know about this community or the 227 patch because of the lack of translations for their language... :-?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

We'd need a native korean, chinese or japanese speaker to translate everything.
You must construct additional pylons.
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Solid_Snake FirePhoenix »

Ok I think I can find a few Japanese players.... but as for the oldunreal site... do you plan to make multi-lingual compatible?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I can't be arsed to fusion your multiposts, so now I'm just going to delete everything but the first one when you do that. As for the questions, the project is to have as many localizations as possible, but we can't very well start a new translation without a native speaker. If someone volunteers, then it's good, if someone finds a volunteer, it's good, anything's good. I remember Delacroix found some native speakers for a few languages and there was quite some activity for a while.

As for the website itself, it's entirely Smirftsch's decision. I'm not sure he cares to have OldUnreal itself translated though.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

thank you for BEING an arse for deleting my multiposts :), and thank you for being a real moderator for answering my question.

NOTE: smirfstch would never delete my multiposts because hes boss.
I wouldn't? And its SMIRFTSCH

and for translation- well I am not sure if this even would make sense. Wiki articles can be multi language and some already have translations, like the walkthrough for example. Any addition there is more than welcome.

A forum translation however makes no sense in my eyes, since the basic idea of a forum is, that everyone can benefit from it and English is a good base for that (it's not my native language either).
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Nikola-(DOG)-

Post by Nikola-(DOG)- »

Hi guys,I am translating czech version. It's almost done :)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

wow :)
Lympho_
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lympho_ »

Sorry for being a little salty, but what i read here http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... nrealI.plt has no shit in common with original version

e.g.

Code: Select all

[GESBioRifle]

DeathMessage="%o - %k w[ch322]a[ch347]nie spu[ch347]ci[ch322] ci do gard[ch322]a ca[ch322]y [ch322]adunek [ch347]cieków."

PickupMessage="Podnosisz karabin odpadowy."

ItemName="Karabin odpadowy"

1. %o - %k just flushed a full load of sewage down your throat

2. You pick up a waste rifle (this one is the most accurate tho)

[QuadShot]

DeathMessage="%o - %k rozrywa ci[ch281] na cz[ch281][ch347]ci pierwsze czterolufowym obrzynem."

PickupMessage="Podnosisz czterolufowego obrzyna."

ItemName="Obrzyn" 
1. %o - %k rips you to pieces quad-barrelled sawed-off shotgun

2. you pick up a quad-barrelled sawed-off shotgun

[PeaceMaker]

DeathMessage="%o - usypiacz %k w[ch322]a[ch347]nie zrobi[ch322] z ciebie sito."

PickupMessage="Podnosisz usypiacza."

ItemName="Usypiacz" 
>>%o - anesthetizer of %k just made a sieve of you

Blob would be also better translated as "kleks" than "ba[ch324]ka"

[Gasbag]

NameArticle=" "

MenuName="Ogniomiot"

MenuNameDative="ogniomiota" 
Ogniomiot ~~ Flamethrow

pupae is "poczwarka", not "m[ch322]ode"

[Eightball]

DeathMessage="%o - %k wielokrotnie wymierza ci klapsa Ósemk[ch261]." 
this sounds good in english, but in polish this sounds off any semantics

tl-dr

I mean the translation is not bad. it is good, just hardly accurate.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Since we have to rely on native speakers here, please feel free to fix it up :)
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Hi! After spending a lot of time out of the community (lots of things) I came back to help. Just created an account on the wiki, awaiting the approval. :)
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Heya Neon Knight, nice to have you onboard!

Hope you're here to stay.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I hope so. Been a bit busy in real life, and bummed due to UT4, but got all of the Unreal games installed because of reasons, lol.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Hey there :)

We all are happy to find some help for the wiki, there is really a lot of stuff which could be added yet.

However, I can't find any recent registrations in the wiki, could you tell me where it is stuck?
I got a report a few months ago telling me that registration wouldn't work, but was able to create a testaccount myself easily.

[edit]I found your request and confirmed it manually. Please tell me if you got the confirmation E-Mail with the temporary password.[/edit]

[edit]I found and fixed some problem with the E-Mail confirmation and also updated the wiki to the latest version 1.30.0[/edit]
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Hey there :)

We all are happy to find some help for the wiki, there is really a lot of stuff which could be added yet.

However, I can't find any recent registrations in the wiki, could you tell me where it is stuck?
I got a report a few months ago telling me that registration wouldn't work, but was able to create a testaccount myself easily.

[edit]I found your request and confirmed it manually. Please tell me if you got the confirmation E-Mail with the temporary password.[/edit]

[edit]I found and fixed some problem with the E-Mail confirmation and also updated the wiki to the latest version 1.30.0[/edit]
Unfortunately the confirmation e-mail is nowhere to be seen. :(

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

could you try with the https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... swordReset procedure now?
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

could you try with the https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... swordReset procedure now?
YAY! That worked! Thank you!

Now the Unreal series will finally have a proper translation that doesn't suck, lol.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Just a small question.

Are the line jumps between lines in there for something special? Is it OK to use the tag as I did here? Can these be deleted without any problems?
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

The formatting is not critical there, just needs to be possible to copy it out into the corresponding .est file in the worst case for anyone who wants to update their own files.
But I hope to get a set of .est files to put it into the patch when you are ready, to avoid copy and paste work for me ;)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri May 04, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

The formatting is not critical there, just needs to be possible to copy it out into the corresponding .est file in the worst case for anyone who wants to update their own files.
But I hope to get a set of .est files to put it into the patch when you are ready, to avoid copy and paste work for me ;)
Good to know! Preformatted text has that advantage, you can just select, copy, paste and save, and don't have to worry about extra lines.

Once I get rid of some real life duties, I'll finish the translation, yesterday I've updated up to most of the letter I. Also fixed some minor things in the .int translation.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Fri May 04, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Also, I think that instead of a thread, localization could have its own subforum. That way localization teams can have a better coordination.

Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

I doubt that translating anything in the wiki makes sense until we determine which int files contain actual data.

While some localization files can be used in both 227i (the most recent publicly available patch) and 227j (under development), others are supposed contain entries which are specific to the corresponding game subversion. As far as I remember, the wiki pages are supposed to reflect the most recent state of 227j, but they were not updated for a long time.

There are also plans to change the following files soon:

UMenu.int
UnrealShare.int
UWindow.int

Inter1.int - Inter14.int
InterCrashsite.int
InterIntro.int
Intro1.int
Last edited by Masterkent on Sat May 05, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Also, I think that instead of a thread, localization could have its own subforum. That way localization teams can have a better coordination.
Can do that, but most translations have been done a long time ago and there are not many working on it on a regular basis.
I doubt that translating anything in the wiki makes sense until we determine which int files contain actual data.

While some localization files can be used in both 227i (the most recent publicly available patch) and 227j (under development), others are supposed contain entries which are specific to the corresponding game subversion. As far as I remember, the wiki pages are supposed to reflect the most recent state of 227j, but they were not updated for a long time.

There are also plans to change the following files soon:

UMenu.int
UnrealShare.int
UWindow.int

Inter1.int - Inter14.int
InterCrashsite.int
InterIntro.int
Yeah, perhaps should have split into versions like here:
https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... ns_Project

and still could split it now, by taking the 227i files and moving current content into some 227j section.

But on the other hand, most of the changes have been additions which came into 227, there is really not much content which has been removed or changed. Additional content in there won't do any harm, even if taking those files for 227i now it will be almost completely working. Beside that I think it makes sense to head towards 227j, since this will be the new stable version sooner or later.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

I have some questions regarding wiki:

1. What is the recommended way to convert existing localization files to the corresponding wiki pages and vice versa?

1.1. Suppose I want to upload N localization files for a particular language to the wiki. What is the best way to do this? [The presence of redundant empty lines in many pages serves an evidence that some wiki users choose improper methods.]

1.2. Suppose I want to obtain all localization files for a particular language from the corresponding wiki pages. What is the best way to do this? (Is there anything better than manual copy-pasting of each wiki page to the respective file one by one?)

2. Is there any way to sort wiki pages from a certain category by date & time of the last page modification and make the date of the last modification displayed for each sorted item? If I want to figure out which wiki pages that represent int localization files have been modified since some date (e.g. 2014-01-01), how can I do this quickly?
Beside that I think it makes sense to head towards 227j, since this will be the new stable version sooner or later.
People who work on translations for menus of 227j should have access to 227j in order to be able to check how translated text looks in the game. Changing the content of int files needs special coordination, because

1) merging independently modified versions of the same file may be painful,

2) someone's work may be wasted due partial or complete overriding of changed items in one version by the respective items in other version.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”