For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Translations needed / 227 Localizations

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Marzanna
OldUnreal Member

Re: Translations needed / 227 Localizations

Post by Marzanna »

I've reached Core.* now. But there are 2 lines which i don't get. These are LangId and SubLangId. How do I know Hebrew's Language Id and Sub LangId?
http://www.indigorose.com/webhelp/vp/Pr ... _Codes.htm
ivancai22
OldUnreal Member

Post by ivancai22 »

Guys, i am from Argentina so i can translate to spanish, just ask me, i wanna help
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the spanish translation can be found here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... anish_.est

those need to be compared to
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... glish_.int

and missing entries added and the translation itself verified :)

Just checked- especially the Spanish translation lacks a lot of entries which need to be added yet.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I'd like to report that Polish translation is progressing well and I am hoping to finish it soon. :)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

[[Category:Polish Localization]]
You must construct additional pylons.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I did fill in English and Polish localizations to the full. What's left is the remaining ones out there.

EDIT: OK, I got Sana to fill in some German blanks and UBerserker is doing some Italian stuff, albeit I am serving'em the lines that absolutely must be translated. If there were any done with translator apps that are still there, I'm gonna need the summary on these as well.
Last edited by Victor Delacroix on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

French should be ok too, although I'm busy these days. It would be good if we could have a beta of 227i with the gender thing to check if everything is alright.
PlayerPawn
OldUnreal Member

Post by PlayerPawn »

I seem to remember that I once read here about someone who had created, or was going to create a "standalone" website script which would display the English text of a .int file and let you write down your own translation after it. And then possible save the translation.

Anyone know of such a script/webpage?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

google translate? :)

But to be serious, the problem of automated scripts, if there are now some or not, is, that they only translate word by word and not by meaning or sentence. Indeed Google made some good improvements over the years, but even there it fails badly in many cases.
So if you pre-translate it or not, you'll have to rework the result in any case. The language specifics can be only done by native speakers usually, therefor this call here.
However, it's been a while but I've seen auto translate scripts for ingame use, which automatically translated the chat messages. That was really impressive and in this case it was more than acceptable that it wasn't flawless or sometimes really funny.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I see this is still active.

Smirftsch : he's not talking about auto-translation, but a software providing an easy method to work with .int files. I think the easiest, by far, is to simply take the .int file, duplicate it, change the extension and translate as you read down the file. Some text editors allow you to split the window and have two different files in parallel (I know Textpad does) which is useful...

I've been searching for portuguese translators and no luck so far. I've translated a couple of very easy one-line spanish files with the few elements of spanish I remember, and someone named Rarsonic has modified a couple of Spanish files too (thanks to him if he comes around). We still need a lof of work done with the latin-languages, except French : Spanish, Italian and Portuguese localisations are incomplete and use old versions of the files which should be barely compatible with the new organisation of the files (so much stuff has changed/been moved/deleted, especially concerning menus).
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

google translate? :)

But to be serious, the problem of automated scripts, if there are now some or not, is, that they only translate word by word and not by meaning or sentence. Indeed Google made some good improvements over the years, but even there it fails badly in many cases.
So if you pre-translate it or not, you'll have to rework the result in any case. The language specifics can be only done by native speakers usually, therefor this call here.
However, it's been a while but I've seen auto translate scripts for ingame use, which automatically translated the chat messages. That was really impressive and in this case it was more than acceptable that it wasn't flawless or sometimes really funny.
If you use automated translations too much, that kind of thing could probably happen:

Last edited by iLikeTheUDK on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rarsonic
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rarsonic »

I'd still have to do the rest of the levels' translator events files because they might have a couple of translation errors or inaccuracies.
<><>Gibberish
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Indeed. Yet the translator files are but the easy and quick part of the work.
A quick look shows that there are about 100 lines less in UMenu.est than in UMenu.int. Once the translator files are fixed, It may be useful to take a look in the system files (UMenu, UBrowser, UnrealShare, etc.).

In any case, thanks for your help. I'm happy to see someone work on this.
PlayerPawn
OldUnreal Member

Post by PlayerPawn »

I see this is still active.

Smirftsch : he's not talking about auto-translation, but a software providing an easy method to work with .int files. I think the easiest, by far, is to simply take the .int file, duplicate it, change the extension and translate as you read down the file. Some text editors allow you to split the window and have two different files in parallel (I know Textpad does) which is useful...
Yes, that's what I mean, when translating many files with lots of text into many languages, it would best if the process of translation was as easy and simple as possible.

How about using Launchpad?

https://translations.launchpad.net

I see that GreatEmerald has already created a page there but there is no text to translate.

https://translations.launchpad.net/unre ... anslations
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ has the ability to edit files and split into 2 windows to work in (View->Move/Clone current document -> Move to other View) which could be what you are looking for.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Sigh. Go here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... on_Project
Copy things from the INT part to your translation, then change it line by line. It's not very difficult.

That launchpad project should be closed, but since they never implemented a way to close them, well...
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

That's the method I use for translation.
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

Hi. Im just curious why this topic is so dead suddenly Oo. What about Polish translations ? they are finished ? (they stopped working on it or what). Im have a Unreal Anthology Polish version but after patching to 227i some font is missing and game not runs (Im changed language to int in order to play Unreal again)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

polish translation should be quite done and working. You can check and contribute here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... olish_.plt

However, this should be unrelated to your start up problem. Can you pastebin a log of it?
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

In short it says that error is in UnrealShare.WhiteFontPL. (file Unreal227PL not found). and full log here:

Im see a some errors reading through Polish translation on wiki (maybe two) but I not read all of the files there :p.
Last edited by Radi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Oh yes, I see.
Please try to replace your current Engine.plt with this one
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

ok . done :) ..but another error occured:

Font UWindowFonts.Tahoma12 missing. Mr. Smirftsch, you want a full log ? :)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

no need, but this is rather strange- I just checked the package again and its definitely in there- are you sure you have the 227 UWindowFonts installed? it is in your Texture folder and is supposed to have 17419kb.
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

yep. It is there and size is 17886 kb. Maybe when I downloaded once a hires texture pack then something got messed up?.
here is a link to my UWindowFonts and no package Tahoma12 is present.. hmmm
http://db.tt/TayQRsRq
Maybe good idea for me is to install a 227 patch again ?
Last edited by Radi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, yours is only 1.7 MB not 17 MB :) - it's the old one. Explains tahoma is missing. If you don't have another copy of 227 version, reinstalling the patch will fix the texture file in any case :)

Return to “Unreal General Forum”