For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Translations needed / 227 Localizations

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Re: Translations needed / 227 Localizations

Post by Neon_Knight »

Also, I think that instead of a thread, localization could have its own subforum. That way localization teams can have a better coordination.
Can do that, but most translations have been done a long time ago and there are not many working on it on a regular basis.
Well, if there's one thing I've learned by editing the Unreal Wiki is that you won't get too far without a clear plan and some organization. Consensus must be reached in the shortest time possible by the available people about even the simplest of things such as the name of weapons and even how we should call the "Mutator" (in sucky and inconsistent Spanish official translations they're called "Mutadores" in UT and UT3 and "Mutágenos" in UT200X series, the old translation seemed to call them "Agentes mutadores"). People who contributed to this thread must be invoked (if possible, via PM) so that consensus can be reached somehow.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

In a Wiki, you are working with dozens of people. If there's one thing you'll soon find out, it's that this job is a lonely one. At some point, you will be forced to take decisions with no external inputs and just follow your dreams, bro choose a translation according to your best judgment.

There's unfortunately not many people involved in localizing Unreal. We're lucky to have one person for a given language, let alone several native speakers to debate grammatical points or choice of words. :(
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I have some questions regarding wiki:

1. What is the recommended way to convert existing localization files to the corresponding wiki pages and vice versa?

1.1. Suppose I want to upload N localization files for a particular language to the wiki. What is the best way to do this? [The presence of redundant empty lines in many pages serves an evidence that some wiki users choose improper methods.]

1.2. Suppose I want to obtain all localization files for a particular language from the corresponding wiki pages. What is the best way to do this? (Is there anything better than manual copy-pasting of each wiki page to the respective file one by one?)

2. Is there any way to sort wiki pages from a certain category by date & time of the last page modification and make the date of the last modification displayed for each sorted item? If I want to figure out which wiki pages that represent int localization files have been modified since some date (e.g. 2014-01-01), how can I do this quickly?
Beside that I think it makes sense to head towards 227j, since this will be the new stable version sooner or later.
People who work on translations for menus of 227j should have access to 227j in order to be able to check how translated text looks in the game. Changing the content of int files needs special coordination, because

1) merging independently modified versions of the same file may be painful,

2) someone's work may be wasted due partial or complete overriding of changed items in one version by the respective items in other version.
One of the reasons I had to integrate a wiki into the page was indeed the translation, because all I could to at best back then was to fill in missing data with some google translation.
My idea was to put everything in there so that native speakers can do these things, no need to explain why a wiki should be perfect for such a purpose.
Once a new release is in sight I wanted to get the data and compare/merge it with my files- so the latest version should be always in the wiki - my stuff is definitely outdated, except the .int files which I try to keep up to date of course.
I think I did not add many 227j specific changes into the wiki so far, at least not in the last months but most changes regarding that have been probably done anyway recently by you fixing up UMenu. I also have to admit that I lost track at some point because 227j became so much more than initially imagined.

To give translators the access to 227j however does make sense in any case.

1. Back then when initially filling the wiki with data I was using OpenOffice, which offered a way to save in wiki format. Haven't checked that quite a while though, no idea if this still exists and how well it works. This is also the reason for the formatting as mentioned in 1.1.

1.2 I always wanted to check for some wiki exporter, or rather, the last time I checked there was nothing which made it any better than that. That's also a long time ago too, so I will check again what there is now.
[edit]a short search showed up this: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... ial:Export which seems to be some standard functionality by now. Need to test yet how suitable it is.[/edit]
[edit]Added another extension to be tested yet, DataTransfer which can be found here: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... al:ViewXML[/edit]
[edit]Both methods above seem to end in .xml - can't say yet if this is of any advantage...[/edit]
2. I never found the time myself to get really deep into wiki editing. Perhaps some wiki guru can answer this, sorry.

Also, I think that instead of a thread, localization could have its own subforum. That way localization teams can have a better coordination.
Can do that, but most translations have been done a long time ago and there are not many working on it on a regular basis.
Well, if there's one thing I've learned by editing the Unreal Wiki is that you won't get too far without a clear plan and some organization. Consensus must be reached in the shortest time possible by the available people about even the simplest of things such as the name of weapons and even how we should call the "Mutator" (in sucky and inconsistent Spanish official translations they're called "Mutadores" in UT and UT3 and "Mutágenos" in UT200X series, the old translation seemed to call them "Agentes mutadores"). People who contributed to this thread must be invoked (if possible, via PM) so that consensus can be reached somehow.
As usual, to get things done like this, there needs to be someone taking care about it. Any volunteers? :D
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon May 07, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I'm willing to coordinate the spanish translation. It wouldn't be the first time that I get to coordinate a project related with a game lol.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

One of the reasons I had to integrate a wiki into the page was indeed the translation, because all I could to at best back then was to fill in missing data with some google translation.
My idea was to put everything in there so that native speakers can do these things, no need to explain why a wiki should be perfect for such a purpose.
I think, wiki is far from being perfect for that since it serves a different purpose: it allows creating and displaying a documentation as a set of handy web pages including a properly formatted text and hyperlinks. Wiki is not supposed to be a repository of arbitrary text files and, as far as I can see, it does not support even basic file operations. I presume, using something like GitHub or SourceForge with SVN instead would be much more convenient.
1. Back then when initially filling the wiki with data I was using OpenOffice, which offered a way to save in wiki format. Haven't checked that quite a while though, no idea if this still exists and how well it works. This is also the reason for the formatting as mentioned in 1.1.
I thought that the OU wiki might have a special option to upload a raw text file and generate a properly tagged page for it (including the "Category" hyperlink).
1.2 I always wanted to check for some wiki exporter, or rather, the last time I checked there was nothing which made it any better than that. That's also a long time ago too, so I will check again what there is now.
[edit]a short search showed up this: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... ial:Export which seems to be some standard functionality by now. Need to test yet how suitable it is.[/edit]
[edit]Added another extension to be tested yet, DataTransfer which can be found here: https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... al:ViewXML[/edit]
[edit]Both methods above seem to end in .xml - can't say yet if this is of any advantage...[/edit]
Well, that output definitely doesn't look good. It needs a tool that would parse the data, remove all wiki tags and write the final output into a bunch of files... In case of SourceForge, it would be possible to download all files in a single zip archive by means of a few clicks (f.e., see https://sourceforge.net/p/x264vfw/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/).

Using appropriate tools could save a lot of time for all of us.
Last edited by Masterkent on Mon May 07, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I don't have problems with Wiki usage, but I agree with Masterkent that a github/svn commit should serve better this part of the project. Besides, Github allows web editing of text files without the user having to install or download anything into the PC (the tedious part may be the fork/modify/pull-request part, but even that can be solved by managing permissions).

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Indeed I didn't think about using a github or svn for such a purpose so far- and back then at least github wasn't known very much iirc :P

Aside the technical aspect in which you are definitely right, do you really think it would be of advantage for the average user? I doubt that many "internet users only" kind of people are having much idea about github if you know what I mean.
A wiki however is pretty much common knowledge even for people who are not having much experiences with all this stuff, so anyone can contribute here.
The lack of a suitable export right now is surely annoying but its nothing you do (or rather me in this case, lol) on a daily basis, only before a new patch release and so I accepted the fact so far to copy any paste it if really necessary (while I have not given entirely up yet digging for some more handy exporter).
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue May 08, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Aside the technical aspect in which you are definitely right, do you really think it would be of advantage for the average user? I doubt that many "internet users only" kind of people are having much idea about github if you know what I mean.
I guess, an average user won't even try to check how some localization works (when installed) if he needs to manually copy-paste and reformat dozens of files one by one. Unlike translating a text, such operations constitute a boring monotonous work which needlessly consumes a lot of time.

Note that the possibility to download the latest available version of the whole translation at once could also be useful for ordinary players who don't contribute to the project.
A wiki however is pretty much common knowledge even for people who are not having much experiences with all this stuff, so anyone can contribute here.
As far as I can see, GitHub lets authorized people read and edit files by means of a web browser, so it doesn't require installing a specific software and/or a deep knowledge of version control systems either.
The lack of a suitable export right now is surely annoying but its nothing you do (or rather me in this case, lol) on a daily basis
Since I find working with the wiki inconvenient, I simply don't touch it and ATM I'm working with my local copy of *.rut files instead. Any recent contributions to the Russian translation which might be done on the wiki by other people have big chances to be lost after I submit my edition, because neither of us is aware of the current situation with the other branch. I think, this is not exactly what those contributing people might expect.
Last edited by Masterkent on Fri May 11, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

mmh...well no real contradictions from my side against github. We surely can give it a try with it, if really wanted the wiki can still be used to display only current state...or perhaps there is some import for this... just need to check if it makes sense to set up some own service here for it or use some free repository service out there.
Excelidar

Post by Excelidar »

Heya guys! just registered and saw this message :)

The wiki states that swedish is the only nordic language currently being worked on... so i thought i'd offer my services and translate it to norwegian as well?

Would this be of interest?

PM me :)
I am the alpha and the omega
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Excelidar wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:58 am Heya guys! just registered and saw this message :)

The wiki states that swedish is the only nordic language currently being worked on... so i thought i'd offer my services and translate it to norwegian as well?

Would this be of interest?

PM me :)
Sent a PM.
Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

Hello. You need to update the Russian translation for patch 227i...
The patch is made poorly and creates bugs in the game. It's unpleasant to play.

Perhaps some system files can not be translated into Russian and the translator did not know about it...
If you know which English files or strings cannot be translated into another language. then please write...

Please post all this bad Russian localization in this topic... perhaps. someone from the Russian players will fix this russifier
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Sergey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 am Hello. You need to update the Russian translation for patch 227i...

Perhaps some system files can not be translated into Russian and the translator did not know about it...
If you know which English files or strings cannot be translated into another language. then please write...

Please post all this bad Russian localization in this topic... perhaps. someone from the Russian players will fix this russifier
If you're interested in helping, I'll accept all kinds of help regarding that part.

https://github.com/NeonKnightOA/unreal-localization

Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

I want to change the font to one that is closer to the original.
The Engine.rut file says:

[Fonts]
LargeFont=UWindowFonts.UTFont14B
BigFont=UWindowFonts.UTFont14B

But this font is very small and it is white. the numbers of the ammo counter and health in the original game are green... what other Fonts can I choose? I would like the font to be green and slightly larger
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I can't help in the Fonts part, I'm afraid. That's best left to other people who know about that better than me.

Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

Tell me, who is responsible for adding translation corrections to a foreign language? Who should I write to? I have a small fix for russian
Last edited by Sergey on Thu May 27, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Sergey wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:30 pm Tell me, who is responsible for adding translation corrections to a foreign language? Who should I write to? I have a small fix
I am.

However I'm still in the process of porting the contents of the .rut files in both U1v227 and the Wiki to the Github repository, so someone who can help in that regard is more than welcome.

If you want to help, send me a PM and I'll tell you how.

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Sergey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 am Hello. You need to update the Russian translation for patch 227i...

I've added your suggested changes to the Wiki and the Github repo.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”