For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Just completed the original Unreal...

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Just completed the original Unreal...

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Well, I've finally finished the original. Took me two years, I kept losing interest partway through and re-starting from the beginning. I now have the early game drilled into my head as a result. :D

It certainly left an impression: I loved the massive, tightly designed levels like Nali Castle and Bluff Eversmoking - truly a sight to behold at the time of release, and with gameplay to match. The enemy AI is challenging, especially in larger groups of Skaarj or Mercenaries.

A few things irritated me throughout the game: areas with enemies that respawn when your back is turned, as well as switches that don't have an immediate effect on the game world, leaving me wandering around aimlessly (this was particularly annoying in the Skaarj Ship levels). The final boss fight was a bit on the easy side, and quite short.

What were your highlights and annoyances with the original game? I think that despite the minor issues, Unreal is one of the best games I have played!
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Just completed the original Unreal...

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, I can't mention a single flaw. :\

Time to play the mission pack, and user made levels!
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Much like you, the huge maze-like maps were incredible, the Nali castle, bluff eversmoking, the Sunspire... Those were incredible maps, the AI was awesome...
And the infinite respawn (although there must be like 3 or 4 instances of this in the entire game) was infuriating and the Skaarj levels at the end were among the weakest ones in the game.
You must construct additional pylons.
THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Time to play the mission pack
Just remember, if you're going to play the mission pack with the v227i patch installed, there are two game-breaking bugs present:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 375498249/
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 328510529/
The first one is of little consequence though, as the log entry is easely skipped.
However, that second bug is a really nasty one, which I seem to encounter every time that I play the game!
I posted a workaround at the very bottom of the first page of that thread.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Overall the game an unforgettable experience to me. Especially the amazing graphics for its time and the very different indoor and outdoor environments made the experience something to never forget.

Before Unreal, I played Doom and Quake on a Pentium 1 without 3D accelerator. A year after the games release, I finally was able to get a decent Pentium III 450 machine, with Rage128 3D accelerator and a SB Live! with EAX and surround speakers. Before that, I already had spent 30 minutes staring to the Castle FlyBy demo in a local computer store. Drooling to toe power of the Pentium II with Voodoo II Unfortunately, I had to wait another year until I could afford a new rig.

Highlights were the moment you walk out of the Vortex Rikers and see the first outdoor map with animated water, a multi-layer animated sky box and even a waterfall. Also the Tarydium crystals were very beautiful with the shimmering light around them. The ending sequence is also nothing from amazing. Unreal was the right game in the right time with an amazing engine and got complemented with a very good soundtrack.

Of course, I also have had some annoyances. I (still) highly dislike the god mode of the Mercenary monsters and I've been lost for many hours in maps like Nali Castle, Bluff Eversmoking and the Extreme levels. Still, it can be satisfying when you finally find your way out.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

I wasn't too keen on the end levels either, they were difficult to navigate, but going around a previously explored area in the dark was quite an interesting concept.

The infinite / blind spawning didn't happen often, but it was annoying when it did. A few instances that come to mind include the Dasa Pass Cellars, the beginning of ISV Deck 1, and those flies in Harobed Village.

I'll probably check out the mission pack next - I've heard it contained levels cut from the original, which should be interesting. I'll keep the bugs in mind though.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”