For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Most Basic Laptop that can run Unreal

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
RocketJumping

Most Basic Laptop that can run Unreal

Post by RocketJumping »

Hey OldUreal, my brother is going out of town for work and I wanted to get him a small computer that he would be able to play Unreal on. I was looking at some older used laptops online and was going to get him an older Thinkpad that was really cheap, then I had a sudden thought. Is there going to be compatibility issues playing Unreal on certain chipsets/OS because of the age of the game? Basically I was wondering if I get a newer laptop that I can find for cheap if that would work better than trying to find something older that still works and would be a lot cheaper. I don't really know too much about playing Unreal now ( I just play Unreal Tournament 3 on my Xbox 360 and that is about it) so if I have made any mistakes then please let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!

Just got home after picking up an i5 laptop from someone that was selling it on https://www.for-sale.ie/core-i5-laptop and getting everything optimized now for some sweet Unreal sessions in the future. Thanks for the advice everyone, I am still learning more about how to utilize this great engine and the games that run on it so I am very glad that everyone here was so welcoming :)
Last edited by RocketJumping on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Most Basic Laptop that can run Unreal

Post by gopostal »

I ran my server off a base model laptop from 2007 and it never gave me the first moment of issue. I could run multiple servers on it.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
nogardilaref
OldUnreal Member

Post by nogardilaref »

I would say that any laptop would work well nowadays, but I already had the opposite experience with a laptop from around 2010 (it had the worse integrated card imaginable).

The only way to be sure is if you post either a link to the laptop or its model.
I have used tons of thinkpads, but only for work, but they tend to be good bets.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Unreal delivers this cutting-edge realism on computers using a Pentium 166 or higher. And for those of you lucky enough to have a Pentium II, MMX technology or a video accelerator, the Unreal realms will become your reality.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Contrary to what some may believe can even modern CPUs be pushed to their limits in certain Unreal maps. The vanilla maps are pretty light weight but custom maps that rely heavily on particles and large, open and detailed areas can even push an high-end CPU to its limits.

Unless you pick the lowest end laptop with the worst Intel CPU (which also has the worst intergrated GPU that can't even run Minecraft, like at all) should it run fine. Pretty much anything with an i3 (any generation should do) should have a decent enough GPU to not cause issues while playing Unreal at 1080p. Unreal is more reliant on the CPU than the GPU anyway in my experience. Specificly single threaded performance. Which is when the often relatively high turbo frequencies of the i3s kick in. Making it possible to run even more demanding maps like DMBeyondTheSun (included in the 227 patch) without problems. (Unless you use Fly to see as much of the map as possible. Then even the best of CPUs drop down to a cinematic framerate).

Of course can you also go for an AMD APU but then your are trading in a lot of Single Threaded CPU power for a slightly better GPU so I woudnt recommend that until AMD gets around to releasing APUs based on Ryzen.
Last edited by Skywolf on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Of course the game should run on a 1998 machine with 32 megs of ram, but with 227 being built with a modern OS+compiler I think these 1998 requirements are not applicable anymore nowadays :P

CPU and megahertz are undoubtly the most important factor for the game, but then I guess any low-end 200 dollar netbook should have more then enough CPU power to run this game.
Then, regarding the GPU I think any machine with a dx9 capable card should run the game just fine, And that includes even the worst integrated intel graphics from 2004 onwards. I also run unreal on an 2009 laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics at a steady 60fps. Ofcourse with decoration shadows turned off, otherwise i'm lucky to get half of that.
Last edited by Turboman. on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RocketJumping

Post by RocketJumping »

Thanks for all the replies everyone, my main concern with newer laptops would be the OS being able to run the older software I guess but a virtual machine can also be installed on it to combat that. If I get some links of machines that I am still wondering about I will let you all know!
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

The 227 patch will take care of the OS. It's made with modern hard- and software in mind. You should be able to throw Windows 10 at it with no problem. There's even a Linux port if that's your thing.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).

Return to “Unreal General Forum”