For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unplayable -- too big for screen?

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Malth
OldUnreal Member

Unplayable -- too big for screen?

Post by Malth »

So I've had an issue lately that's essentially made this game unplayable. Regardless of what resolution I pick, it's like the game is projected onto a monitor much larger than mine so only about 3/4 of the game is actually visible. Also, when I hit escape for the menu, the mouse cursor is more or less stuck in the top left hand corner. If I try to move it even slightly, it goes haywire, jumping to the middle of the screen or otherwise disappearing. The same thing happens with or without the 227 patch.

Screenshot:

Specs:
Windows 10 v.1703
AMD Ryzen 1600
8GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz
GTX 960
MSI Tomahawk B350
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unplayable -- too big for screen?

Post by Hyper »

What happens if you press tab and type "setres 800x600"?

If that does not help, edit your Unreal.ini file:

Code: Select all

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=800
WindowedViewportY=600
WindowedColorBits=32
FullscreenViewportX=800
FullscreenViewportY=600
FullscreenColorBits=32
Change it later to a resolution supported by your monitor.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

If nothing helps, try to delete Unreal.ini (all settings you've made are gone then).
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

If you use screen scaling, you should check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the properties of Unreal.exe. [Properties -> Compatibility -> Disable display scaling on high DPI settings]
Malth
OldUnreal Member

Post by Malth »

If you use screen scaling, you should check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the properties of Unreal.exe. [Properties -> Compatibility -> Disable display scaling on high DPI settings]
That did the trick! Totally forgot I had scaling turned on even.

Now is there anyway to make the in-game gui bigger...?
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Options -> Preferences -> Video -> Font Size.
Malth
OldUnreal Member

Post by Malth »

Options -> Preferences -> Video -> Font Size.
I meant the HUD. Looking around, I don't think there is.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Unfortunately, the native HUD is not scalable. For making HUD items bigger, you have to either set a lower resolution or replace the reference HUD implementation with a custom HUD that draws bigger icons and text (the latter approach is usually not applicable to online game).

If you want to play the single-player campaign without mods that might draw something in HUD, you could try to use mutator PrototypeSPHUD.
Last edited by Masterkent on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the font is- somewhat. In UWindow.int check for:

[FontStyle]
SmallFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma10
SmallFontBold=UWindowFonts.TahomaB10
MedFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma20
MedFontBold=UWindowFonts.TahomaB20

while SmallFont is probably the one you are looking for (in UMenu I assume).
Could be scaled perhaps to
SmallFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma12
SmallFontBold=UWindowFonts.TahomaB12

or so. Unfortunately, the menubar etc. ain't scaled accordingly, so anything bigger is definitely cut off. Maybe something to work on.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

I don't see problems with scaling GUI windows, except that UWindow.int provides an incomplete set of fonts:

[FontStyle]
SmallFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma10
SmallFontBold=UWindowFonts.TahomaB10
MedFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma20
MedFontBold=UWindowFonts.TahomaB20
This set should also include

LargeFont=UWindowFonts.Tahoma30
LargeFontBold=UWindowFonts.TahomaB30
Without such entries, the current implementation

function SetupFonts()
{
      local bool bCustomLoader;

bCustomLoader = (Left(Localize("FontStyle","SmallFont","UWindow"),1)!="
Last edited by Masterkent on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

A proper HUD scaling cannot be done just by using larger fonts. Without resizing HUD icons and redesigning layouts, changing font size can make text not fitting in small icons and possibly clipped at borders, adjacent strings may overlap.
Yes, that's exactly the catch.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

I always wondered though. Isnt it possible to simply render all 2D elements on a lower screen resolution and then scale this to the current one? This shouldnt cause any problems for already existing mods unless it expect everybody to run a 1080p screen or something.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

Isnt it possible to simply render all 2D elements on a lower screen resolution and then scale this to the current one?
That should be possible in theory, albeit upscaled small fonts wouldn't look as good as natively large fonts. Theoretically, this method could offer the best possible compatibility with mods, but its proper implementation requires modification of the C++ code responsible for calling PreRender/PostRender event functions along with the native functions which are used to draw text and icons. Basically, native calls to PreRender/PostRender need to be surrounded by barriers that would enable virtualization of screen coordinates for UScript code executed in between.

The first barrier should set Canvas.ClipX, Canvas.ClipY, Console.FrameX, and Console.FrameY to Canvas.ClipX / HUDScale, Canvas.ClipY / HUDScale, Console.FrameX / HUDScale, and Console.FrameY / HUDScale correspondingly and enable stretching with factor HUDScale for everything that would be rendered by such functions as Canvas.DrawText and Canvas.DrawTile; the second barrier should reliably restore all original values of Canvas.ClipX, Canvas.ClipY, Console.FrameX, and Console.FrameY and disable stretching.

Such barriers should also be available as UScript-callable functions, so that a UScript code could temporarily disable the virtualization when it might draw hi-res things. In particular, we already have a decent scaling for Translator, so we probably wouldn't want to use an upscaled low-res Translator instead.
Last edited by Masterkent on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

The HUD is already small on 1080p and with the increasing popularity of 1440p and 4K monitors it would be a good idea to add this kind of HUD scaling in 227 imo. It's not like games as old as Unreal that do have proper HUD scaling do look any better than what could be achieved with this type of scaling anyway. And I think many are prepared to deal with some pixelated HUD elements if this means they can actually see the darn thing without pushing their head against the monitor.

This also hasn't been the first time the HUD scale issue has been brought up here. So it really has become quite a problem as far as I'm concerned. And with 227 having as partial goal to make Unreal run better on modern systems do I think it's long overdue for some kind of HUD scaling to be added.

But those are just my two cents.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I was talking with Casey about such an implementation already, there is even a custom version of this already existing where he pointed me to:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53121

However, I didn't find the time yet to really check on this, and if I am really honest, I am more than tired of reworking the old rendevs again and again.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

The HUD is already small on 1080p and with the increasing popularity of 1440p and 4K monitors it would be a good idea to add this kind of HUD scaling in 227 imo.
If we want to properly support 4K resolution on relatively small screens (15.6", 17.3", 18.4") used in laptops, we need to implement 4x scaling for game menus too. The current implementation of UI windows can do only 2x scaling which surely won't be sufficient when using a configuration like 3840x2160/17.3". I don't have a gaming laptop with 4K display, but I do know that such laptops are already present in the market. 2x scale on 3840x2160/17.3" should theoretically look pretty similar to 1x scale on 1920x1080/17.3" which I had a possibility to try on my own laptop - GUI and HUD are barely readable when using such configuration.

Note that currently we don't have bigger fonts suitable for scales above 2, hence in order to implement 4x scaling we'd need either to add more fonts (such as Tahoma40 and Tahoma60) or stretch strings rendered with the existing fonts.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

adding bigger fonts is more than easy :)

Return to “Unreal General Forum”