For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

oldskool?

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

oldskool?

Post by dustinechoes849 »

what is oldskool?
can't for the life of me remember what that is
just some oldskool garbage
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: oldskool?

Post by Hellkeeper »

UT99 mod that replaces tournament weapons and items by unreal ones.
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Except they are new classes that use decals etc etc. It's also pretty hacky. Alternatively you can set up UT to use regular consoles/etc if you copy some config over and set it to use normal gametypes and classnames.
Yes you can even use ubrowser console still and it will have the addition of having IRC client!
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

It is a mod for players who prefer playing Unreal (1) and Unreal themed content on Unreal Tournament (99). It has been quite popular among the users of UnrealSP.org and quite a few Unreal-themed single player map packs have been made there for Unreal Tournament and OldSkool. I still regret that these were not made for Unreal instead, but that's just my opinion.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Many moons ago I made a proof of concept lightweight gametype for UT called UTxCoop. It's basically a port of xCoop for Unreal 1. It accomplishes the same goal of oldskool which is to make UT99 play like U1 - replace weapons/items, etc. but it does this without creating any new "hack" classes (see: new class replacements for every weapon)

I found that the reasoning behind creating most of these "clone" classes was because UT99 weapons have client simulated firing animations where U1 weapons don't. This discrepancy conflicts with code in UT99's playerpawn. UTxCoop, instead of creating hack subclasses of every base Unreal 1 weapon (an approach that also breaks compatibility with all mods that extend off of the base weapons - see: every unreal 1 weapon mod ever), creates a new playerpawn base that elegantly handles firing in both Unreal 1 and botpack weapon cases. It worked flawlessly and the entire mod was like some hundred KB or so. While oldskool is a mess, it solved a problem no other mod did (to my knowledge) at the time.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Actually, ECoop from AFCore did this before you did. But he's not here on ou and its only in the ut coop community, besides his other modifications are a bit heavy.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

While oldskool is a mess, it solved a problem no other mod did (to my knowledge) at the time.
Mod conflict was the thing that forced me from my UT coop server. I wish I had known about your work, I'd likely have kept my server up. UT players like good coop. You only have to look at the continued life that monsterhunt has to see the interest.

Out of curiosity did you ever release it? I might be interested in seeing if I could resurrect my old UT coop server if it's not a huge hassle.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I'm sad about the loss of 3 and his server though, whatever happened to andy..

You know that in the last years of the run I supported his server more than usual and did many requests to update the old ccoop stuff. We had so many extra packs running there and then during my absence the server disappeared without much word.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I've emailed him, tried every way I know to make contact. I'd like to know that he's OK, not pester him for anything. He was such a great guy, super helpful and patient. When he dropped off it was like he fell of the earth. Stopped replying to everything, posting, being seen anywhere. It looked like something bad happened to him :(
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Out of curiosity did you ever release it? I might be interested in seeing if I could resurrect my old UT coop server if it's not a huge hassle.
I never formally released it but I'm sure I have it. I'll PM you later with it :)
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

The original Oldskool was made by Usaar33 ages ago, and it basically converted much from ut99 into their equivalents in Unreal1.

It also had a player model for the Sktrooper in it, which I've been skinning for years:
The lot of them · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/100468.html

There's a more advanced version called Oldskool Amp'd, which I hate. I mean, it's probably okay but they removed the Sktrooper from the original and replaced it with one that constantly freezes bots in place... which might be nice for people that don't much care for a challenge but I like my Skaarj to be able to kill me.

I'd prefer they didn't kill me, but they should at least have the ability to do so and not get stuck frozen somewhere on a map until someone kills their helpless repinsectile selves.
Last edited by EvilGrins on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!

Return to “Unreal General Forum”