For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

The Dark Arena adress thing

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

The Dark Arena adress thing

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I've heard it was a place of the developement before...

now I stumbled upon this video:

and it's seen at 8:17

That actually looks a lot like the modern Dark Arena entrance doesn't it? The flags and all.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: The Dark Arena adress thing

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I don't know why Ewing talks about stuff because afaik he wasn't working on the orginal Unreal but only joined later, while it might hold true what he said in general I think it's a mistake to put him into that point in the video..then again they are talking about the waterloo office at that point and not about Unreal only...the facts don't add up too well though.

EDIT: Oh well he did the sounds on Unreal, now I get it. It's just later he moved on to other jobs.
So nevermind the facts did add up there...
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Now all those torture chambers in dark arena make sense...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Now all those torture chambers in dark arena make sense...
Hold on, why?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Shitty work conditions probably. The video says 80 hour weeks and "lots of methane"
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes, well that's the thing from all the quick curry foods they were getting.

But either way, they had a very unfinished game and they had to put a lot of effort into making it for the release. There's a reason why Unreal was released as version 200 instead of 100.

In late 1997 there was tons of content pouring and changing and they had to settle on to something. If Unreal was released in version 100 it could work as a game, it's just that a lot of the maps would be plain and boring. If the recently leaked version was real version 98 and the big beta leak everyone believed was from 1998 was version 99 as the log and all says (while tim's log places this in december 1997), then version 100 or something similar could be out for Christmas 1997 which is maybe what they were hoping for. But you'll get Bluff and other retail maps that are low on detail while the crypt maps like Morose Soledad would instead be seen as the graphic miracles of the game, while not having both open areas with lot of detail and open space. They also coded in skyboxes but it didnt work prfectly in hardware acceleration, but the next thing they would be doing is put skyboxes into the actual maps. And they could still make that for the christmas release, its just things didn't pan out that way and its good many of the standard maps were reworked because they were pale in comparison to some others.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”