For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

"Challenge"

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

"Challenge"

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Apparently playing keyboard-only (which I do most of the time these days) is considered somewhat a challenge.

But because its not enough, we also disable dodging. So I present you a challenge of playing through Unreal keyboard only with dodging disabled (which is a first to me in a long while as I breathe/live dodging).

Can you do it? I'm just in passage and I'm not having that much of a problem, but I'd be curious to see other people try.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: "Challenge"

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You can record a video or you can honestly report your progress here...

I decided to play using version 220, the regular unreal maps..

I want you to note down when you died, if at all and stuff.

But holy shit I'm in chizra now and I almost died, I'm left with 4 health at the pool. For some reason it spawned two skaarjscouts there at the pool with asmd after going around. I don't recall that normally happening. Must be something with 220, in dig one of the skaarjcouts from the top near the end actually decided to camp at the stingerammo at those broken floor panels down. Like what the hell in the later versions that hardly happens.

I am not telling people to play using 220, you are free to choose any version, just for historical purposes I decided to do it on this version.

Hell if you feel like it you can even use some mutator, just as long as it doesn't remove the challenge...
EDIT:
Ah shit I already died. That's really me being rusty and tired apparently. Well that was stupid of me though, basically swam into the sliths after they dropped down at the cable car lift in chizra, i swam around through the water near the superhealth (that i already picked up on my way in through the right but yea I tend to visit all those areas). So I kind of failed already, without dying I had intended to go through but obviously my skills aren't as high these days. But I will continue another time, my last save was at the room with the torches and skaarjscout as that's where i went first. Oh and I also somehow forgot to take the amplifier at dug despite destroying the bridge....
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, I got past Chizra and replayed the segment where I got killed before of course.

ASMD combo does its job when there's more sliths but I don't tend to use it too often in Unreal.

Nothing entirely out of ordinary happened this time, except it seemed like I killed a Nali but the others didn't start fearing me so I guess it was slith and I was just lucky that my shots didn't do it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Oh come on..already too late to edit my last post?

Well its time to dissect ceremony now....

that first message really wants me to see one day chizra as a boss because apparently the serpents (slith) are under his command? And people say that only in "velora temple" did the temples become sadistic or whatever? Yea sure the Nali are such a peaceful race. What the hell is wrong with you, who brainwashed players into thinking that?? For all I know the real chizra is a giant slith hybrid creature...

Either way....on to the thing...so again playing on 220 with a little unusual setup. No deaths thorought ceremony thank god, though it wasn't long before one occured again with those slith cornering me at water areas. The skaarj that normally follows you got a little dumb this time...then I fucking blasted those skaarjscouts to oblivion where they start spawning, yea that actually rocks...but then I started noticing things that never bothered me.

Like...that giant boulder thing, one would think that they added that to cover that bit of "wood" that's sticking out at the side of that rock but nah....

Why is that wood there? I mean technically I get it its that the brush is sticking to the other side but you're supposed to think of these things and indeed that boulder or other would be perfect to cover it...but this is just...so...so

FUCKING RAW!!!

Yes...ceremony gets the first gordon ramsey Raw here...thanks civvie11 for thoroughly infecting me with that I will never forget...

And why is the water there pushing my shit to the side? Why? what's the fucking purpose here...i mean the water doesn't look any more or less still than the one in dmariza...of which this is the same fucking canyon...

why did he recycle this canyon? got i wish we had seen chizra/ceremony earlier than the february 1998 version...

I wonder now how it would look like if both maps were merged now, ariza and ceremony, the bit with the canyon and the surrounding lands...

maybe it would look RAW

Also why did the cable car's top...what's wrong with it? This must have also come from a different map as it makes little sense. The map is great until it goes to the canyon really.

But the most bizarre thing that happened...is with the last nali....

Yea...the last nali...on 225 this never happens i confirmed it...but
if you play this in 220 and you stay a little behind at the side while the nali is entering the "raft"...

then...just watch

he turns to you and does the "follow me" motion, while he fucking departs with the thing!

Come back you asshole! *you shout*

while he keeps taunting you with whatever they dubbed the sound later "batai'dwa" or some shit.

so i swam right behind him with him being on the fucking square moving shit and he just stands there and keep taunting me. then when it stops i finally catch up to him and he stops doing it when i go to him, he doesn't move an inch he just stands there... "ITS RAW!"

well on to Dank Arena then...

Remember...NO DODGING ALLOWED in this run...

but really...not to mention one of the nalis got scared for no apparent reason even though i didnt shoot him or anything but maybe i was evil for eightballiong and pushing the skaarj over the place....

so my experience was rather...raw
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Since Dark Arena I am also playing with no crosshair now...just like I have it on 225.

But yea..umm so Dark Arena..its a great level especially with the cellars which again must have came from a different map originally I imagine (like a more complete version of Velora?). Since this level was redesigned and to resemble their office building from the outside lol. I missed on dp upgrade 1 so i had to blast the wall using eightball here. This is the one area most players miss on their playthrough even though its really great, I usually go up first, clear it out and then go down to the cellars. Of course I had to fucking miss the superhealth, twice, didn't get the titan to boost me up and didn't use asmd boost myself. So he killed me too. My second death so far. But expected. Second try I had 9 health left but I survived. Well then onto Habored(lol) and this basically makes up Unreal Special OEM...but yea so those flies around here, sometimes they come in pairs but theyre just little buggers. This is really fairly easy level, there's not much obvious opprotunity to fuck up and get killed honestly. the stuff under the church/graveyard was also a fairly late addition to the map as well, which includes that weird wall that goes nowhere. Like this is the underflow river already or part of it. At least the water doesn't push me evn though it would make sense here if it did..unlike ceremony in that canyon...not talking about the river right before you drop into dark...that makes sense to push you of course...

i left the flakcannon as last too before going towards terraniux.
I'm refusing to post another post until someone replies first though as this is getting boring, I only had a brief chat over this over e-mail and not here in public.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

I may possibly try this later, since I have a little bit of experience with it and it actually isn't that awkward.

BTW, what happened to the censorship?
fuck f u c k
cock c o c k
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Keyboard only, no dodging, no crosshair? Heh, that could be a good idea for an advanced "harder than hard" old-school mode.

For extra sadism, since v227j one should play in Ultra-Unreal.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

No lol, those extra difficulties plus this that would be a torture mode lol (CIA? Maybe designed for Bane..). In fact I do normally play using keyboard these days so I suppose one of the reasons I don't play on added difficulties is because of this. I just got used to it over time. Of course playing competitively it does give you disadvantage but against AI its not that bad.

So for me the challenge comes mainly in the form of no dodging because I am normally a dodging maniac. Even though people like Maci are even more so and can do extremely expert tricks that I can do like only purely by luck. And I don't mean stuff like dodging on top of those copy pasted rocks, that's easy. I mean stuff like getting on top of the terrain completely and so on, combining with forcefields use and what not.

Yrex: A lot of stuff got reset with the forum update but I don't really mind, this is much more honest.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So yea I wanted to post about my further experience in terralift and terraniux but the heat and other pressing irl issues have prevented me.

So yea, those are quite intense levels on their own even though now I find there is a little bit of abundance of ammo and I try to actually use weapons interchangibly, so I never really found myself running out of ammo. But yea, first weaponpowerup for me now because of course I didn't succeed in the nali not teleporting away in dig (no he didn't get killed, he teleported away right before i could get to him)...

And I only reload in case I die so it wasn't like I loaded earlier save when I didn't get the powerup.

But one thing I remembered though. Back when I played that pre-release version of Unreal back in 1998.

There was somewhere a weaponpowerup in chizra, must have been because we didn't get the one in dig but then when my mom's boyfriend played further i remember him suddenly having the dp doubled (it still fired the double shots). I have no idea which version had the powerup, but one version of chizra must have had. Remember it also had the prelude to chizra as a separate level, maybe it even used the chizra shareware track that became the watcher of the skies music. Man...I wish so much I could revisit that. There is something happening though on the Unreal terms but I am kept out of it, so whether there will be some beta content returning or betas its all up in the sky now and I get no word so far...

But yea, I do find terraniux a pretty straightforward level even if its not strictly linear. It is a welcome change of pace for sure and kind of has that dm feeling to it (if it wasn't for the stuck lift/whatever its also a good dm level).
EDIT:
Noork now completed...well that message about fish i suppose it implies biter fish are bitter and thus poisonous? As in taste kind of funny.
The funny thing is initially on I assumed the name was actually "bitter fish"...lol

Entered ruins...those cavemantas...I will never get why they put them here. They were obviously designed for skycaves "Gateway to Na Pali"...the early previews show them after all, well not them because cavemanta class wasn't created but regular mantas...

Oh damn I couldn't save that Nali...he was.. beheaded by the skaarjscout.

Also...that thing under doesn't give hom under 220. As in the "floor" below that pillar in the water.

I don't know if its glide or 220 specificaly but really...this is fucking annoying in other versions.

Some of the lighting effects/skies really seem more impressive under Glide with the opacity and stuff lacking from other renderers.

EDIT2: Dammit the SkaarjBerserker killed me. Okay...my third death. It was the torch one btw. I was using stinger and he pushed me to the water then he kept projectile spamming me from the bridge.

Trying to kill all the devilfish in the water alerted the skaarjtrooper to my position so not doing that fully again lol. I didn't die but I can't be bothered to kill them all this time.
EDIT3: The titan got me too, fourth death. Dammit. Its really hard when you can't dodge certain boulders.
EDIT4: Got him, onto Trench then...next time though

I did kill all the fish before exiting, too.

*notices the flakbox not being there in Ruins end corridor while it is at start of Trench... *fuckin' raw!*
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Oh yea....another titan death, killed him at the same time as he did me, and I didn't save since the beginning of trench. *fuckin' raw*

so five deaths so far..mostly by titans. yea that's really when the dodge is useful guys

Yea I'm gonna ignore all those weird bsp issues this level has otherwise it would also be just "RAW, C'MON".

All those random music switches that happen here and the titans and the gasbag fighting seemingly for no reason despite nothing could have hit the gasbag up there but of course they don't damage each other the fireballs explode way before they can hit the titan and its just so very *RAW!*

So ISV KRAN 4 it is....

oh god..I didn't land on the center bridge and took damage by falling down just not in the slime...
I always do that by dodge but of course now I can't...so i have to crawl through those vents again.

onto isv kran decks 3 and 2 because there's nothing else to see here or do...

Well I do think pupaes should have been used, it feels bad the first map to introduce is sunspire especially if you hear their sounds in the vents...

Holy shit I'm noticing some serious bsp see through errors/cuts at the most upper platform at iskran32, like from the niche right of the elevator.

Some secrets (if you run out of jumpboots) are difficult to reach without dodging. For example you have to purely use liftjump quite early to make the ammo on top of the boxes where the lift to the upper floor is right near the start...

The obvious homs/missing sides at the signs are too obvious for me to mention (at the containment field stuff).

Overall this map is fairly boring to me now. It is an imporant map story wise (but less important giving the missing backstory). Still...i prefer the other two isv maps over this now anyday.

No more deaths. I mean fucking hell the gunners here just use dispersionpistols like pussies.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Saw part 1 so far. At the water part when you became stuck and the fact that shift accelerated you so far....

I just have to say one thing.

*ITS RAW*
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

That was hilarious lmao
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Saw part2, that nali getting onto the plank bridge and getting stuck there lmao.

Also the fan part, I had problem with it myself (though i didnt die but got almost pulled) however if you run and keep running without stopping and hugging left (keep strafelefting) you will be able to make it through. The other side is trickier and i just dropped down like you did of course.

Also I wanted to say that you recorded it from a camera point like that so we see your hands obviously...but you don't show your other two arms! C'mon we know you're a nali in disguise now yrex, lol...

your arms look so thin though i guess mine looked just like that a while ago.

im watching part3 and well...

lol yea the biterfish bitterfish end up on the floor because of the slanted surface there easily...the same can happen with drowning nali being stuck in the swimming state at ceremony also slanted surfaces fault.

Consider yourself lucky you had the skaarjscouts spawn in two different rooms instead of both in one room lol.

You play with greenblood on btw?

You avoided death at chizra though where i did die by dropping down with the slith in water which was stupid.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay watching the rest (until part 7)

You were lucky with the titan, he didn't stay in his cage when I played.

That skaarjwarrior kept going back and forth because of the "homebase" actor of course. When they are hurt they retreat there...

And yes again just like in your steele dawn videos, the eightball in 220 has unique sounds that are not heard in the later 224 plus patches....

And really, could have been better off having used glide emulation or something...

If you never played it using glide you really should try it instead of software it is a night and day difference.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14

I know how Glide looks, but the wrappers are kinda slow on this laptop.

Also, the high contrast turns out to be youtube's fault. The videos looked better originally, e.g. you could see individual keys instead of just a solid black blob.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

yrex . wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:48 pm Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14

I know how Glide looks, but the wrappers are kinda slow on this laptop.

Also, the high contrast turns out to be youtube's fault. The videos looked better originally, e.g. you could see individual keys instead of just a solid black blob.
Yea well it converts/compresses the video on the fly if its not in a format it outputs and even then it usually adds changes to it like encodes it again.

I do remember those instances of the zones "leaking through" in software rendering like above water in ceremony end or the thing in harobed cave. I had to play long ago just using software because the opengl/d3d didn't work right (unless later with patches/updated drivers) and the card was just a bit too "new" to be using glide.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Part8: You might not know that but the secret the nali opens in Ruins can be opened with the grab key, in fact it might be the only instance in the whole Unreal.

Yeah I see the HOM still shows under software rendering so I guess they really tuned it under Glide and didn't test in software mode to notice it with that surface flag combination.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Didn't make it in time..also now have a bandage because I cut myself on a razor sharp glass piece. I am watching until part 10 because i don't wanna spoil my play. I haven't gotten around to playing further because several things happened IRL including that the local water source has dried up due to the drought.

But yea that fucking piece of shit..lift. It does happen rarely there, didn't happen during my play. As for the jumpboots yea they are there mostly to break the fall but if you just drop directly you will still get hit. It is possible to do without jumpboots by dropping onto one of the lights and slowly make your way down. I see you didn't try the liftjump trick to reach the sludge and shellboxes opposite of the lift(the other lift). I did make it there but the timing has to be very precise like really jump at the very start of the lift moving while moving forward. So you have to start before it starts moving. An alternative is of course to use the jumpboots on that instead. The jumpboots use is thus more versatile here and can be used for multiple things.

I wish that other floor in the map was still there that's seen on some screenshots, like it was below those pipes you see on the floor. Sadly it was already gone in the beta leak version.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

But yea now I'm at isvdeck1....oh god will it please stop pushing the downarrow? whenever humidity level changes it starts doing that with that broken laptop as those keys got broken on the internal keyboard and i have to depress it each time.

That wave of skaarj and those two skaarjofficers...really fucked with my health. I mean i had 200 and even bits of armors left from last map but nah...
and they still used dispersionpistols go figure....
5 health left?
Those bloblets are really ridiculous though, I mean they pose no challenge to me at all anymore. Still its cool they at least used them..twice per game and once in rtnp but still...

asrh well sixth death now by those spawned troopers...i should first stock on health

What the hell? Now I broke the button going back to the slime area...what?

*They should be ashamed...oh my god...what the fuck are you doing??!!
FUCKIN' RAWWWWWWWW!!! *redeemer explosion* *

Now I have to do all this over again...

With that lone skaarjofficer at the end of the corridor...wish i went there first!

Because it had more health/bandages there. Now I can't because i already got superhealth and its just 160 health...

I have a theory that the room that is partially flooded is reused from earlier version of isvkran from early 1997, I mean the glass can still be shattered there which was only the case in the betas....

it probably wasn't flooded back then though.

Might have been from the missing floor even or when isv kran was textured differently maybe.

also that one asmd core on top of the box is just unreachable. fucking great really. the others are if you push the box around and jump but that one? nah just out of reach no matter what...fuck wish there was mantle here like in u2...

Ohmigod....the buttons at the bridge broke too after used once and i went away to collect forgotten ammo.

*ITS RAW COME ON*

I think epic must have broke something in 220 that broke those maps further...i can't believe it was this broken by default I mean sure im used to running these maps with fixed coop gametypes and what not...but come on this is definitely not right.

spirevillage...take that you bitch..NOOOO

fuck it overrode my isvdeck1 save i didn't want to do that! stupid downarrow.

But yea no I didn't get killed by the titan. Used up all my stinger ammo on him and razorjack. razorjack and stinger combinations are surprisingly effective against titan...

"Our Haven, the great FUCKAGE, given to us by the Gods of the Sex Loree...erm what am I reading"

"that's terror."

Wait that nali did the follow stuff after titan was death...but what was the point of this ever? I mean afaik it does absolutely nothing...or does it?

HE JUST WAVES HIS HANDS AT THAT TORCH THE MOST POINTLESS NALI HELP EVER.

stinger has no ammo...no shit sherlock...

NO...i almost had him...those two titans coming at once to me at the second house...ahhh

my SEVENTH DEATH

noo...eight death...this is getting silly now.

fuck I really hate titans and their insta kill boulders now so much

YES HE DIED. Flak shell to the head baby YES!!

Now i have to go back and collect flat shells...flakshells

This fucking autoNAG with the floating body there though...i mean the beta version had the bodies fall down and..yea this was overlooked forgotten about...so slightly raw?

That last skaarj was a complete pushover. Just keep shooting him with asmd primary he won't even react keep being in a pain state. Now what idiot was it that said that unreal monsters hardly enter the painstate unlike quake2? yeah there its easy with the super shotgun but come on that's so untrue....

SUNSPIRE NEXT THE GIANT DICK TO THE SKIES...
EDIT:
I need to cool off by playing serpentine king of the hill on dmbayc...on 220...

edit2: part 11 watched

Ok so you did reach the sludge and shellbox then...but in part11, didn't expect that...sorry for assuming you wouldn't.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Sunspire then....

was doing pretty well and enjoying myself evwen killing all the spawning pupae and gasbags down there...

and then I took an arrow to the knee...I mean rocket and got blasted out of sunspire, i did push the gunner out too with flakshell so we both died in lava at opposite ends. Just marvelous.

So ninth death in total.

LOL i shot him down and he started sliding slowly on the rock's edge like happens with players on a lot of intersected geometry..but oh boy it looks like he's trying to cling no matter what and still in his pain anim..."urgh urgh urgh"

*its raw*

I decided to fly there interrupt my play and record that slow descent...with one interruption though.

Lol viewclass shellbox, apparently thesunspire has a leftover from that hill with the automag...the only ammo not removed and in the void there...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So I loaded the sunspire save and...oh my god..the skylift just departs in front of me...so I go back and...I can't push the lever again...and then..I jump around and I become stuck on top of the lever...

Oh my god....oh my god...what the fuck are you doing? "Tommy Wiseau appears with Luke about to make Jazz Jackrabbit movie"

"You're tearing me apart, Jazz!" "How's your sex life, Mark Rein?"

*launches nuclear missiles at them*

RAWPOCALYPSE

FUCCCCCCCKKKKINNN RRRRRAAAAAWWWWW!!!!

Onto Gayteway to Na Pali then.... Oh my god...what is happening? The Nali...oh my god he decided to piss off and just outran the Krall and then he just stands there behind that door! nice..wow we fucked them good.

But seriously now, I think 220 is not the best version to play the regular Unreal on, yes its best for the mods that were made on it or maps that were made on it like unreal psx stuff but other than that, it does tend to break quite a few things in vanilla unreal singleplayer campaign. It is different but yet weird...

I decided to just for the sake of it (and thus I won't give it official death count) to drop down from the waterfall..and...

How do I get zero health? Is this Blood2 now? *ramsay's face appears on the zero*

RAW

Wow I shot the final skaarjwarrior's head off with flakcannon. Some of the shit is so way off in 220. Its clearly a different game altogether. I mean this is already tuned to UT basically.

Overall a nice short level...i need a break now though
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I have seen part 12 and now I have gotten through Na Pali Haven. Pretty standard stuff, no death yet so still haven't reached my tenth death...
but of course to avoid killing the nali i had to hurt him and he alerted other nali to hate me when he ran around the level. Except for the one near the cart/nalicow. That one just got scared when the kralls got spawned and i hurt the cow by accident. Except then he started levitating and when i touched him he "awakened" and said habouji and then kept jerking back and forth until he decided to levitate again and this contunued on and on. He didn't fear me exactly but something was off...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So...I went through outpost 3j without much annoyance except that the forcefield kept twice not honoring the trigger properly, but otherwise pretty solid. Another straightforward level with more stuff that can not be explored (the water pipes before the exit and the unopened door).

And my tenth death by the stone titan in velora pass! That marks like an anniversary!

And I used the bridge trick to get him down the lava here...saves a lot of ammo and effort. so bluff reached...

Return to “Unreal General Forum”