For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

The JumpBoots

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

The JumpBoots

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I just want to remind people the fact how many times have the jumpboots been messed with?

In vanilla Unreal prior of plans to release botpack post 220 "soft reboot" phase, the jumpboots never run out of time while you have them...

But there was another penalty in play for multiplayer. The jumpboots could only respawn few times basically. Each respawn drained the jumpboots charge. No, that's really a thing guys. That's how it was vanilla. Each respawn there was less charge in the spawned boots until they stop spawning altogether in three respawns. So no time-limit but this instead.

There were also changes in the powershield handling, like during 220 it gained that timer that it slowly drained instead and the psx maps were made in mind with it hence why I included the psxshield package that restored this behavior. But then again on vanilla unreal 200 it didn't have any timer whatsoever and in 224+ patches it was "broken".

Weird how all these gameplay balancing things come and go and very few people take note of those changes.

Oh yea and the powershield(on 200) also lost its charge with each spawn, so the point of the timer was different...
EDIT:
Also if the mapper has messed with respawntime etc then it actually will keep spawning without the penalty thing.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Re: The JumpBoots

Post by Neon_Knight »

Yeah, one of the things that irked me off to no end in Unreal was the jumpboots expiring even when not in use.

Didn't knew that about the Power Shield, always thought it was a beefier version of the Shield Belt.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: The JumpBoots

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Neon_Knight wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:15 pm Yeah, one of the things that irked me off to no end in Unreal was the jumpboots expiring even when not in use.

Didn't knew that about the Power Shield, always thought it was a beefier version of the Shield Belt.
Well it sort of was, except then by 220 it got changed into expiring slowly over time (just like the psxshield version does plus i combined the effects from various versions). But still it never lasted long in deathmatch just like jumpboots (except some maps obviously but if you spawn jumpboots plainly it will behave that way on vanilla, they will loose charge with respawn not by you wearing them)
speaking about effects
Fun fact: Shield belt also used to have a damage animation in one of the Unreal betas, with sparks appearing. This animation I reused for the altfire of the implantgun for the pushing. That was actually appearing around the player each time he got hit on one of the betas.

The forcefield also used to wobble and then explode if it went too far. (the animation still exists) Voicebox used to be re-pickable if you picked it up before the voice sample expired thus it was much more useful item.
When Epic rewrote the code above responsible for the pickups, this went out the window, same with the peacemaker being able to be picked up if it didn't explode yet/start opening. (when I reintroduced this in peacemakeru.u it was a nightmare to stop spawning spam online though so yea with the current pickup code it requires some more fine-tuning to say the least as that's the deal breaker)

I think it might be important to note this and know what the intentions were at the time so it all makes a little more sense.

Basically a good player would be able to keep the voicebox with him the entire game and use it when necessary.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”