For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Looking for map/mappack (RTN6)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Looking for map/mappack (RTN6)

Post by Psychomorph »

Been playing it on Newbiesplayground and nobody knew what it is. Mapvote says its RTN6.

Anyone can give a hint? See attachment for a screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Re: Looking for map/mappack (RTN6)

Post by Psychomorph »

Nevermind. It is the mappack "Return To The Caves"

Which patch version of Unreal still works with UT? I assume 226 is where Unreal maps can no longer be player through UT?
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I think 227 may break UT compatibility for maps, but not 226.

In fact, it's UT99 and 226(and above) that break compatibility with 225... because of LevelSummary.

And yes, RTN is Return To The Caves. By Rubie. Some of his other works: Strange Places and OU-mappack.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

227 only breaks compatibility with UT if 227 ONLY features are used (Staticmeshes, Emitters, Projectors, DynamicZoneInfo etc) hence why stuff like Savage Land is possible.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes exactly. And levelsummary can be fixed/removed, if zora's mc doesn't work for you then just hexedit the map yourself by replacing levelsummary with specialevent.

There will be a little warning afterwards but it can be fixed (if map isn't using 227 specific stuff that doesn't fail to load) by resaving the map in 224 or 225.

Both ASP and some maps of the UPSX rework (namely the ones touched by yrex mostly) have specific 227 only behavior or specific 225 behavior. Like ASP Oceanfloor will dynamically load a dynamic zone from 227 and in 225 it uses plain triggered zones instead.

I did originally came up with that idea though, in order to make sure that there's compatiility preserved at all costs but not necesarily at the cost of features. Indeed, even staticmeshes could be loaded using this method in theory. Variable declarations not existing in regular versions will not cost compatibility, just warnings like the levelsummary one if you replace it with specialevent, it will complain about specialevent missing the variables from levelsummary.

Such warnings will not come with surface properties even though, there are many surface options that Unreal left unused or leftovers from developement earlier on, but those are assigned hardcoded slots so there's no textual errors as they occupy simply a slot. That is why in 227 then you will see surfaces acting differently than on 225. This can be problematic though like in RTNP where there are several "eviroment map" surfaces being flagged and of course they will appear all shiny on 227 but not on the other versions. First example of this is nevec.

Additionally UT maps are further incompatible (not just levelsummary) with non 227 versions. The 227 patches (forgot from which letter) contain an exception to allow loading of those files, but for older versions they need further conversion (like either resaving them under 227 plain and THEN removing levelsummary, or using dots' conversion utility).
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm Yes exactly. And levelsummary can be fixed/removed, if zora's mc doesn't work for you then just hexedit the map yourself by replacing levelsummary with specialevent.
Yrex' BSP Tool also has LevelSummary removal function.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm Yes exactly. And levelsummary can be fixed/removed, if zora's mc doesn't work for you then just hexedit the map yourself by replacing levelsummary with specialevent.
Yrex' BSP Tool also has LevelSummary removal function.
the updated version must then(I didn't try it)..but I hope it works reliably because last time we tried during the episode 1 level 8 release it had crashes with the linker because of it until I did the removal the classic way again.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”