For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Stun Baton (Final release)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Stun Baton (Final release)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

This weapon was in developement hell for very long now. But finally in this year (interrupted thanks to IRL events), the progress was picked up again,
especially by interest of Matrix224 who stepped in to finish off the code. Much thanks. Now the skin has been improved too and I compiled ut compatible version (for coop/oldskool, not for botpack DM mind you, it will try to spawn botpack shockrifle ammo and replace the ammo with that breaking the gun).

Downloads:
WepStunBUnr

UT version
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Stun Baton (Final release)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I suppose there was still room for improvement, like I planned some multiskins switching when it was on and off, but that would take even longer to release so now that I had the chance I just told to myself "let's get it done". Just saying. But this is the Unreal version of the Unreal 2 Alpha stun baton. The original skins apart from placeholder grey were never recovered, the uv maps were changed for this mod except for the arm uv maps, which was obviously originally from some other character skin arms in versions of Unreal 2 that are lost.
medor
OldUnreal Member

Post by medor »

UT version
[/quote]

ScriptLog: Fabricate WepStunB.StunB
ScriptLog: Found CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).DefaultAmmo0 at 2238.260010,5695.737793,-454.966980
ScriptLog: tried to add none inventory to CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).popeetheclown2
ScriptWarning: popeetheclown CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).popeetheclown2 (Function Engine.Pawn.AddInventory:0076) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: popeetheclown CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).popeetheclown2 (Function Engine.Pawn.AddInventory:0084) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: popeetheclown CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).popeetheclown2 (Function Engine.Pawn.AddInventory:008C) Attempt to assigned variable through None
ScriptWarning: StunB CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).StunB1 (Function Engine.Weapon.GiveAmmo:0076) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: StunB CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).StunB1 (Function Engine.Weapon.GiveAmmo:0086) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: StunB CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).StunB1 (Function Engine.Weapon.GiveAmmo:008E) Attempt to assigned variable through None
ScriptWarning: StunB CTF-[SLV]((Toxicity)).StunB1 (Function Engine.Weapon.GiveAmmo:0099) Accessed None
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Again, I said that upfront in case you'd pop up. And you did pop up.

"(for coop/oldskool, not for botpack DM mind you, it will try to spawn botpack shockrifle ammo and replace the ammo with that breaking the gun). "

This also means botpack ctf. The botpack base mutator replaces all the ammo too forcefuly and this is what happens. Those guns using the Unreal ammo break. So you better use it with the oldskool mod or UnrealShare.Singleplayer or something. The UT version was made to be used on with coop without problems without issues like the other guns have.

Basically for it to work under normal UT gametypes such as that, it needs to have tournamentammo assigned too or ammo of its own as such. Because it doesn't it tries to forcibly replace the ammo even when that breaks the gun in practice as it doesn't get that information carried over. This is why you see the shockammo appear out of thin air when you do that. Because it replaces defaultammo (why, who the hell thought of that) on the fly instead of in the gun itself, with shockrifle's ammo type.

TLDR: Its bad UT coding.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

TLDR it's wrong UT version coding? You might as well label it as Oldskool compatible not UT compatible in that case. For a true UT99 version of this, just subclass under UT99 classes such as TournamentWeapon and TournamentAmmo respectively.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:47 am TLDR it's wrong UT version coding? You might as well label it as Oldskool compatible not UT compatible in that case. For a true UT99 version of this, just subclass under UT99 classes such as TournamentWeapon and TournamentAmmo respectively.
The UT version is already subclassed under TournamentWeapon. Maybe if you had already checked the thing you would have noticed, or the classes as such! And yes it is BAD UT CODING. They didn't need the HARD replacing of every second for god's sake. Because this doesn't have ammo of its own, its using the DP defaultammo, this happens. So yes the UT version is TOURNAMENTWEAPON for online compatibility with tournamentplayer, because the normal unreal weapons don't fire on dedicated servers. Because this is going to get used in singleplayer campaigns including unreal psx, it needs to have the same ammo as the unreal counterpart. In past I released DM versions of stunner and impaler but this is precisely why. I didn't think someone would again try it out on challenge gametypes again....
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

If UT had decent coding as a base game, it would have tried to be a little more clever by replacing the weapon ammotype 'strings' instead of replacing ammo the moment it "spawns".

Its like we see right here the type of the toxic fan that insists his game is perfect and is the golden standard for everything.

I'm literally racing against the clock to brind out as much content as possible and then I get this.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

You get what exactly? I disagree with you ergo I'm toxic? Stop being childish.

Also, why not even try crafting a custom TournamentAmmo class for it to fully work...

Seriously, people used to be quite a bit more welcoming to feedback, and it seems that right now 90% of what's left will call one toxic or ahole or otherwise.

Makes me wonder if it's just a sinking ship that I should just up and leave, get interested in something else...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I only do the tournamentammo stuff when there was a new ammo type, like the gatling gun or whatever (not that it helps much because it also uses rocket cans for the secondary). But thats not the issue, it would even work with normal non tournament ammo as long as those weren't part of classes or subclass of what its actively replacing. The point of this gun was that it shares the ammo with dispersionpistol, you decide to use the charge? Fine, but it will also deplete your DP source so you need to be careful. This is why I didn't replace it. Similar with stunner/impaler they use the stinger ammo.

Because they did originally as well, I could have easily created a new ammo type. But because of that I also provided the UTDm versions of impaler and stunner where they use pulseammo instead.

It is all deliberate and for a purpose. I provided the source for this so if someone wants to make a version for botpack challenge gametypes be my guest. After all its very simple in this case as you pointed out. But rename the package please just as I did with the UTDM versions of stunner and impaler.

The flamet had new ammo and yet there was an improved version for utdm made by third party that I also included in the past.

Also not being tournamentammo doesn't mean it will stop working. The tournamentammo unlike the tournamentweapon class is there mostly actually for the ut stats and such. Therefore it doesn't have as much significance as non-tournamentweapon not working correctly on dedicated servers.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Patch for UT version

Patch for the UT version. I also included a "DM" version as separate package which also has two mutators. Sometimes when sutnning the bots you have to be careful not to stand close to them as they have tendency to "telefrag" you there while they spaz out.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Oh btw regarding this weapon, I spoke to one of the guys from Legend about it and he told me that at one point they had this gun more or less finished with some cool lightning fx. Probably also sparks coming out from the charged version with the salamnder particle system. This weapon was completely scrapped in favor of the "popgun" it seems, but sadly the alpha versions we have didn't have it that finished and the e3 2001 alpha was a transitional period with many weapons there as leftovers before they were being converted to the golem versions/redesigned. While the popgun aka u2 dispersion pistol was kind of a throwback to the original unreal, I feel that since people were not satisfied with that weapon either way, they should have kept the more or less finalized baton instead...

*puts the stun baton between his teeth* *turns it on with all the sparks*

"What doesn't kill you...makes you...stranger.."

Return to “Unreal General Forum”