For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Music only coming from left channel in Unreal 219

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
OpenRift
OldUnreal Member

Music only coming from left channel in Unreal 219

Post by OpenRift »

I wanted to give Unreal's campaign another playthrough, this time in the classic version (version 219) with the old weapon sounds for that original experience.

One weird caveat I've noticed though, for some reason loading into the second and third levels has this weird issue where the music only comes from the left channel in my headphones. On the third level, the music does play in both channels, but it's much quieter on the right and it seems delayed compared to the left.

I've also tried this in versions 216, 217, and 218, all yielding the same result. I can seem to get any earlier versions to work on my computer (running Windows 11; but it'd probably happen on 10 too).

That said, does anyone have any solutions to this issue?
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: Music only coming from left channel in Unreal 219

Post by Victor Delacroix »

OpenRift wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 pm I wanted to give Unreal's campaign another playthrough, this time in the classic version (version 219) with the old weapon sounds for that original experience.

One weird caveat I've noticed though, for some reason loading into the second and third levels has this weird issue where the music only comes from the left channel in my headphones. On the third level, the music does play in both channels, but it's much quieter on the right and it seems delayed compared to the left.

I've also tried this in versions 216, 217, and 218, all yielding the same result. I can seem to get any earlier versions to work on my computer (running Windows 11; but it'd probably happen on 10 too).

Yes, 227 with OldWeapons mutator. It specifically restores the sounds you care about. (I use this one often as well)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

On Unreal 219 you can however play old mods that haven't been converted that will not work later, etcetera.

Plus you can use a glide wrapper like nglide (for modern systems) etc. So you get accelerated experience. As for the sound issue, I'd suggest playing with the config file and see what happens.
[kx]de_zeurkous

RE: Music only coming from left channel in Unreal 219

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

OpenRift wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 pm I've also tried this in versions 216, 217, and 218, all yielding the same result. I can seem to get any earlier versions to work on my computer (running Windows 11; but it'd probably happen on 10 too).

Yes. Port Unreal to an operating system whose interfaces don't silently
break between minor releases (haai Smirftsch, remember that promise you
made years ago? :).

As for a workaround: try windoze 4. That usually works. With Unreal.
--
Friggin' Machines!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I suspect it might be an issue with surround/other settings or the rates that somehow these operating systems have issue handling. It might be possible to improve the experience.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: RE: Music only coming from left channel in Unreal 219

Post by Smirftsch »

[kx]de_zeurkous wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:10 pm Yes. Port Unreal to an operating system whose interfaces don't silently
break between minor releases (haai Smirftsch, remember that promise you
made years ago? :).
For 227j we have Lin32/64 and Lin ARM, or what else are you referring to? :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
[kx]de_zeurkous

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

You promised NetBSD (though me now runs OpenBSD).

But that's a long time ago.

Running on lunix would indeed be a start (though the lunix folks have
picked up an *aweful* lot of classic m$ behaviours over time).

Mesuspects that OP is incapable of using this side-discussion for his
benefit, though.
--
Friggin' Machines!

Return to “Unreal General Forum”