For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

About Unreal 1995 tech demo

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Abs0lute_Zer0
OldUnreal Member

About Unreal 1995 tech demo

Post by Abs0lute_Zer0 »

I've been doing some research about Unreal tech demos, especially 1995 ones.
From what I've gathered there are:
-Unreal Tech Demo aka Monster Tech demo (September 1995) -->I got this one.
-Unreal Tech Demo from December 1995 --> Also got this one.

This only one I don't have is the november 1995 UnrealEd Demo. I found out about it here:
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal/November_ ... _Tech_Demo

Does anyone have this one? I trying to Google it but the only one that pops up is the December 1995 one.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: About Unreal 1995 tech demo

Post by Leo T_C_K »

This is the original distribution as it was on old bbs, i had a preinstalled one etc on unrealtexture but it seems gone even via wayback now and I don't have acess to my files right now.

So this is all I can give you, if you can't get it out not my responsibility.

part1
part2
part3

extra
the distribution also came with this originally

some other stuff

bdrar
dred95

EDIT:
this archive.org link works apparently, this is the pre installed version
this
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

How about tutorials for Unreal Engine 1 Prototype early build from 1995?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That build leaked, it was unsupported release, so you can\t really expect tutorials as such, but you can ask questions I guess since I did some u95 "modding" if you can call it that, like adding smirftsch into the game.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1976&p=21311

archive.org link
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I heard old development team(Alexander Brandon,Cliff Bleszinski,James Schmaltz)Unreal Engine 1 had issues with early 1995 build some hardware limitations. Like computer turn off itself when they tested game engine or something? That's what I saw, I heard of. But I could be wrong. Nowadays it would compete with Minecraft.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I didn't hear of that. But 1995 saw major changes in unreal developement and it is the year that they settled on using the name "unreal" as before there were various names floating and since then the name stuck and didn't get changed again.

Basically only like since august 1995 the game switched to windows nt 3, before that unreal actually ran on ms dos. The texed tool is using the ms dos unreal engine for example and is the earliest example we have. Its from earlier in 1995. It was like an editor version, except it couldn't edit levels but only meshes...

Basically in 1995 the game changed from the initial robots/spaceships version, a game similar to terminal velocity and "magic carpet" except technological, into a mostly fantasy game that then got added some sci fi elements in the later half of the year while most of gameplay and ideas were still just on paper and not implemented especially with tim's involvement. Things only picked up during 1996 when the game got grittier around the time of quake test etc. Most of the textures made in 1996 were later reused/survived in some form in the released game which is a good testament. We lack most of 1996 versions except for a couple from the end of the year when the game was already in beta stage (but reverted into alpha stage around may 1997 again)...
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I guess it was made on Microsoft Windows 95.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30 pm I guess it was made on Microsoft Windows 95.
If you mean the 1995 Unreal, no...it wasn't... I said it was made for Win NT 3.1/above at first. The NT version at that, not plain win 3. Its very different, Win95 was MS Dos based while this already wasn't, so it was in a way closer to the modern windows which are all NT based.

Besides Win95 didn't come out until a year or so later, it didn't come out in the year its named after. I thought this was a common knowledge by now.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I guess MS-DOS was first,then Windows 1.0,Windows 2.0,Windows 3.0,Windows 3.1,Windows 95,Windows 98. You know a lot about Unreal game engine. When I was a kid I remember only Windows 95,Windows 98,Windows Millennium,Windows XP. When I was growing up I remember Windows Vista,Windows 7,Windows 8,Windows 8.1,Windows 10(I heard about Windows 11). How about VR game mod for Unreal 0.83 beta on my Oculus Rift S that I own?
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

Hi Leo...thanks for that but I got some runtime errors. Which VB version is used for? VB4 ???
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It didn't really go chronologically like that i mean there was windows 1.0 that had to be run from ms dos first up to the 3.x versions, but the NT versions were exceptions and they were standalone without need of ms dos or even be based on it like win95 was. There were further NT versions but Vista and above are also NT.

As for 0.83, you should try it first, it has weapons (four of them, the fourth one unsupported/bugged in that version, the sounds for the gun were included with version 88 for some reason though), automag, quadshot, stinger and flamegun and several monsters with working ai, the rest of content was wip at the time and unfortunately we didn't get the full sources with models but the native code is avaiable so even native modding is possible for 0.83, but realistically i don't think anyone would make a vr mod (unless you'd hire someone). It would probably be disoreintating too due to the choppy way the frames are being limited and the slidy movements. It is a very different game than released Unreal, but when they had this phase almost finished by 1997 the test audiences didn't like the game and they did a reboot of the game again, while still keeping core of the content it shifted focus, the different unrealscript was written, the engine overhauled to the point it became an alpha game again, most of the maps were thrown out and discarded, even though many textures remained. So yea Unreal was in total like 3 to 4 games that got restarted developement whether with hard reboot or soft reboot.

0.83 also includes real example maps in the crypt theme done by john anderson (they were separately in a zip that was originally downloaded from epic's ftp). Not all the builds we have have actual maps apart from mostly a default map (but in some cases even that was lacking so a new one had to be made).

It also lacks model and sprite display for anything but 8 bit mode, which is a setback asw you won't see colored lighting (but only unreal.unr uses that in practice not the rest of maps unless you play the emissary project maps). (we got model sources at some point but it was for earlier 1996 version which didn't have extra models that weren't imported yet, thus if we had the complete 0.83 source we would see the original impaler gun before it was remade in 1997 - this was inserted line with edit)

So in above color modes you will not be able to see what is shooting you you will only see geometry and nothing else, and hear sounds...

yrex made a remake of this style of game even though the physics are still more like regular unreal. But its interesting to check out as a mod.

EGO: Its either VB4 or VB5, can't hurt installing both I guess and just in case installing uedfix4 again. If you use all the original epic installers then chances are you get the needed libraries installed with it though. But I'm not sure honestly now what VB version its been a while for me.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

How about? I mean how to make VR game mod?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Are you serious? No clue really. And I am not really a C++ programmer either.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Well at least this guy made it on final build of Unreal Engine 1.

I also don't know how to do it.
I guess I have to try it myself.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:49 pm Well at least this guy made it on final build of Unreal Engine 1.

I also don't know how to do it.
I guess I have to try it myself.
No, he didn't, it is Unreal Engine 4.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Reverse engineering I guess.

Is it was it made even in Unreal Engine 4 too?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes the preview says so even...
but i don't think you understand the concept of reverse engineering, this is not that
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Should I be next CEO of Epic Games of America after inevitable death of founder Tim Sweeney sooner or later?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:20 pm Should I be next CEO of Epic Games of America after inevitable death of founder Tim Sweeney sooner or later?
Shouldn't this be offtopic? Also, the way you say it implies you might wanna off him. lol quick, call the "feds"
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Oh okay wrong section. Anyway what's wrong about someday replacing Tim Sweeney founder and CEO of Epic Games? Did I violate the law? Does it mean I should never do or say that? Is something wrong with it? I guess no need to rush time will come.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Now I wonder who really lost the sense of humor here.

Besides honestly, Tim (as unreachable he might be outside of social media that I don't use) might be the only person who has still held onto old unreal builds/maps in his private archives. I know there's hardly a chance he'll ever get around to anything given where things have been going but you wouldn't really want to get rid of him if you care about the history of the game and engine.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

luke11685 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 pm Oh okay wrong section. Anyway what's wrong about someday replacing Tim Sweeney founder and CEO of Epic Games? Did I violate the law? Does it mean I should never do or say that? Is something wrong with it? I guess no need to rush time will come.
It's dumb.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Hellkeeper wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 am
luke11685 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 pm Oh okay wrong section. Anyway what's wrong about someday replacing Tim Sweeney founder and CEO of Epic Games? Did I violate the law? Does it mean I should never do or say that? Is something wrong with it? I guess no need to rush time will come.
It's dumb.
I guess I or any person(people like me) would be horrible CEO(without People Can Fly(maybe it would be exception),CCP,Tencent-would it be racist,xenophobic and sinophobic too?)of Epic Games(killing Fortnite(all game modes too even). Yeah I guess so. Right guys?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hahahaha

just look at the way he used those brackets, not even closing them properly. This is "comedy gold". I don't even need to write those satirical fanfics when we have luke around.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Lol xd?

Return to “Unreal General Forum”