For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

About Unreal 1995 tech demo

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Abs0lute_Zer0
OldUnreal Member

About Unreal 1995 tech demo

Post by Abs0lute_Zer0 »

I've been doing some research about Unreal tech demos, especially 1995 ones.
From what I've gathered there are:
-Unreal Tech Demo aka Monster Tech demo (September 1995) -->I got this one.
-Unreal Tech Demo from December 1995 --> Also got this one.

This only one I don't have is the november 1995 UnrealEd Demo. I found out about it here:
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal/November_ ... _Tech_Demo

Does anyone have this one? I trying to Google it but the only one that pops up is the December 1995 one.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: About Unreal 1995 tech demo

Post by Leo T_C_K »

This is the original distribution as it was on old bbs, i had a preinstalled one etc on unrealtexture but it seems gone even via wayback now and I don't have acess to my files right now.

So this is all I can give you, if you can't get it out not my responsibility.

part1
part2
part3

extra
the distribution also came with this originally

some other stuff

bdrar
dred95

EDIT:
this archive.org link works apparently, this is the pre installed version
this
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

How about tutorials for Unreal Engine 1 Prototype early build from 1995?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That build leaked, it was unsupported release, so you can\t really expect tutorials as such, but you can ask questions I guess since I did some u95 "modding" if you can call it that, like adding smirftsch into the game.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1976&p=21311

archive.org link
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I heard old development team(Alexander Brandon,Cliff Bleszinski,James Schmaltz)Unreal Engine 1 had issues with early 1995 build some hardware limitations. Like computer turn off itself when they tested game engine or something? That's what I saw, I heard of. But I could be wrong. Nowadays it would compete with Minecraft.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I didn't hear of that. But 1995 saw major changes in unreal developement and it is the year that they settled on using the name "unreal" as before there were various names floating and since then the name stuck and didn't get changed again.

Basically only like since august 1995 the game switched to windows nt 3, before that unreal actually ran on ms dos. The texed tool is using the ms dos unreal engine for example and is the earliest example we have. Its from earlier in 1995. It was like an editor version, except it couldn't edit levels but only meshes...

Basically in 1995 the game changed from the initial robots/spaceships version, a game similar to terminal velocity and "magic carpet" except technological, into a mostly fantasy game that then got added some sci fi elements in the later half of the year while most of gameplay and ideas were still just on paper and not implemented especially with tim's involvement. Things only picked up during 1996 when the game got grittier around the time of quake test etc. Most of the textures made in 1996 were later reused/survived in some form in the released game which is a good testament. We lack most of 1996 versions except for a couple from the end of the year when the game was already in beta stage (but reverted into alpha stage around may 1997 again)...