For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New Unreal Tournament Beta Version From Early 1999 (Build 221)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: New Unreal Tournament Beta Version From Early 1999 (Build 221)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw, did anyone try the DemoRec driver? It seems to have a separate dll in the 221 version and all.

Also, if you look at the file dates some maps are really old from 1998, like crucible and naliairforce and reactor, those will run on the 220 version for sure (just try it).

Also Addon1.uax is from July 1998, what does it have again?
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Addon1.uax has only 3 sounds and they're for a lift. A starting, an ending and a looping one.
A whole package for one lift lol
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well...there was a guy recently who announced having a pre-release disc of Unreal, physically and also sources for some artwork and what not that's on the disc. But he hasn't so far gotten back.

Either way....those 1998 files makes me wonder how botpack looked like before 220 version, because some of those maps and packages are before that. And the addon1.uax file is most likely still from the original sp level pack before they slowly turned it into botpack. But I wonder then, because twilight predates 220, it means that warheadlauncher existed before 220 too...how did it look like? we never saw any screenshots from back then...it might have been still very different.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw I noticed the title of the KGalleon map actually says "AS-KGalleon"

so it was Assault at one point? Also...why did the frigate map have a skybox with lower layer too? Like its part of sky islands or something (reminds me that we had the atheist nali have that ship on the moon in ASP)...

Also.... wtf is the pulsegun projectile impact sound? I'm sure I heard it somewhere before, but where?

There was something else I wanted to point out...what was it?

Oh yes while I was looking through the sounds of the 222 version (btw I converted dom-metaldream to 220 botpack also, I will upload it once the stuff waiting to be transfered gets transfered), I noticed that there was ketzen group in noxxsnd. So they also did a port of Ketzen to early botpack after it was cut from Unreal, for domination.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Where have you seen it as AS-KGalleon?

And yeah, the pulse gun has a different sound when the projectiles hit a surface.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 pm Where have you seen it as AS-KGalleon?

And yeah, the pulse gun has a different sound when the projectiles hit a surface.
Even in yrex's video it shows that, in the title of the map right after he starts it from the menu. So in levelinfo.

The sound is familiar though I am sure I heard it in another game or a film maybe...
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Yoo, I haven't noticed that.
It makes sense tho, it'd make an interesting assault map.
What would have been the objective?
Maybe 'Team A' would go up to the main ship with like a little boat or something and they have to hijack the Galleon?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:19 pm Yoo, I haven't noticed that.
It makes sense tho, it'd make an interesting assault map.
What would have been the objective?
Maybe 'Team A' would go up to the main ship with like a little boat or something and they have to hijack the Galleon?
Maybe there are still some leftover things/hints. I do not know until I'm able to inspect the map itself. Otherwise maybe yrex can.

But either way...maybe it was just that one team starts on the lower deck or something and try to get something in the cabin (the 222 version has a pushable book there in the "library", it calls the secret elevator to the flag pole, maybe that used to be an objective).

And maybe the objective would be to change the flag and then finally take control of the steering wheel after...
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Well, there's really only one thing that I find interesting.

Why does FortStandard use that red flag mesh in the first place? (Unless there's some other explanation I don't know.) That mesh also happens to be used in this map (as a decoration). So maybe, just MAYBE this is a map where they did some early experiments with AS? Then repurposed it into a DM map but forgot to change the title? This map also has a kinda early modification date (1998-12-12).

Also, in 221 the LevelEnterText is "COMMAND THE SHIP!!!", while in 222 and final it's "SHIVER ME TIMBERS!!!"...
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That makes perfect sense. It might have been the first assault map created then. So now there are like four distinct/different versions of this?

Like..221 version, 222, release and the ps2 one? They all differ in many ways.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Interesting.
What's different in the PS2 version?
I've never played it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:41 pm Interesting.
What's different in the PS2 version?
I've never played it.
Well I never played the original/release PS2 version, but the in developement levels we received back in the day (around 2011 or so), which some of them were different, had galleon level that had one of the floors/removed/cut off and there might not have been the teleporters either and the water might have been slightly different too. Also I think there was less see-through stuff, this was done for optimization mostly, I think the level ran poorly on the PS2.