For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Gamesharder »

I also wonder if Villa was ever part of an SP map.
Seems like it would make a really good SP level instead of DM.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Villa2 in particular would, that's true, with the extended part and that cross (where shieldbelt was iirc).

But I never saw it myself as being part of SP unfortunately, however its possible myscha reused few brushes from some of his cut maps again. Like he did with ceremony/chizra, bluff in the release version etc.

I do remember playing Villa briefly in the beta I played in 1998, but due to bots killing me all the time I couldn't explore much or enjoy it.

One thing that wasn't there was Elsinore though and especially that's why I think Mountain Fortress was originally that (but changed a little, however the layout still corresponds and especially those traps i remember, if you move certain things around it does match up more or less).

It has all the elements, like water etc to emerge from mountain/rock into..though a lot of it was probably more underground.
JusticeUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by JusticeUnreal »

Wow. I've seen most of these beta and pre-release Unreal leaks, but I've never seen all of them coming altogether like here. Actually, are there any people except me who was trying to rebuild Unreal 1 beta maps (the ones from 97-98 leak) to get the whole picture of how exactly the game could look like?

I've been working on the maps for 7 months now, and still trying to find a solution for the old "Hub" maps (e.g. first Hub map from 97-98 beta, NyLeve, had about 3 paths to 3 different levels, and 2 of them were ending up moving you to the Hub again, triggering one of two events to "open" the third path). The problem is in map system itself. The map just couldn't save its previous progress, and if you complete one of 3 maps (most of Hub levels had 3 paths), you just get into an infinite loop, you can proceed to the final part only using 'ghost' command or switching the map manually.

But I'm not worrying since I almost finished collecting all possible textures and music from beta builds, and of course, my list of beta maps and how they should be sorted chronologically. It isn't that much, but still it is something helpful. And all thanks to the Unreal community, and those who collected as much information about Unreal Beta as possible! Great job, guys!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

JusticeUnreal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:23 pm Wow. I've seen most of these beta and pre-release Unreal leaks, but I've never seen all of them coming altogether like here. Actually, are there any people except me who was trying to rebuild Unreal 1 beta maps (the ones from 97-98 leak) to get the whole picture of how exactly the game could look like?

I've been working on the maps for 7 months now, and still trying to find a solution for the old "Hub" maps (e.g. first Hub map from 97-98 beta, NyLeve, had about 3 paths to 3 different levels, and 2 of them were ending up moving you to the Hub again, triggering one of two events to "open" the third path). The problem is in map system itself. The map just couldn't save its previous progress, and if you complete one of 3 maps (most of Hub levels had 3 paths), you just get into an infinite loop, you can proceed to the final part only using 'ghost' command or switching the map manually.

But I'm not worrying since I almost finished collecting all possible textures and music from beta builds, and of course, my list of beta maps and how they should be sorted chronologically. It isn't that much, but still it is something helpful. And all thanks to the Unreal community, and those who collected as much information about Unreal Beta as possible! Great job, guys!
At the time of the beta (december 1997 codebase/engine, despite january/february in content) they didn't have the hub system operational yet but they did implement it in the following month fully and it still is a leftover in the released game.

see here:
viewtopic.php?f=49&p=100188#p100188

additionaly there are tricks on how to fake hub progression and preserve it for coop, namely dots' beta had special myleveled actors that would move the playerstart or place additional trigger at the specific exit etc. But that didn't preserve dead bodies and stuff only the "real hub system" did. Additionaly there was a different hub system implemented in missing builds from early 1997 and so. Though it was all a bit experimental from what I heard from the developers.
They had a mainmap system implemented at least partially at some point that corresponds to the Unreal Bible version. And some lobbies later and what not.
JusticeUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by JusticeUnreal »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:28 pm At the time of the beta (december 1997 codebase/engine, despite january/february in content) they didn't have the hub system operational yet but they did implement it in the following month fully and it still is a leftover in the released game.

see here:

additionaly there are tricks on how to fake hub progression and preserve it for coop, namely dots' beta had special myleveled actors that would move the playerstart or place additional trigger at the specific exit etc. But that didn't preserve dead bodies and stuff only the "real hub system" did. Additionaly there was a different hub system implemented in missing builds from early 1997 and so. Though it was all a bit experimental from what I heard from the developers.
They had a mainmap system implemented at least partially at some point that corresponds to the Unreal Bible version. And some lobbies later and what not.
Hm, I see now. I think Epic decided to completely reject hub system after a few unsuccessful attempts, and it may be a bad idea to duplicate the hub map to make an effect of saved progress. Deus Ex had a perfect level progress system, and it would be really great to achieve the same thing in Unreal. But it won't be that easy. I still have a lot of options to try. And thanks for the info!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

JusticeUnreal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:14 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:28 pm At the time of the beta (december 1997 codebase/engine, despite january/february in content) they didn't have the hub system operational yet but they did implement it in the following month fully and it still is a leftover in the released game.

see here:

Hm, I see now. I think Epic decided to completely reject hub system after a few unsuccessful attempts, and it may be a bad idea to duplicate the hub map to make an effect of saved progress. Deus Ex had a perfect level progress system, and it would be really great to achieve the same thing in Unreal. But it won't be that easy. I still have a lot of options to try. And thanks for the info!
You can still do it based on this:

https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3566

all you have to do is edit the teleporters urls and instead of peer use push (saves) and pop (loads)

It has a limited use in the release version but still it can be done. There was UT mod called Legacy that used a working hub system also.
JusticeUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by JusticeUnreal »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 pm
You can still do it based on this:

https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3566

all you have to do is edit the teleporters urls and instead of peer use push (saves) and pop (loads)

It has a limited use in the release version but still it can be done. There was UT mod called Legacy that used a working hub system also.
Sure, I will give it a try.