For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

16:9 or widescreen main menu/desktop for UT99?

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

sc_neo

16:9 or widescreen main menu/desktop for UT99?

Post by sc_neo »

Hey guys,
after playing this game for 20 years now and having spent the last couple of days giving it a fresh makeover with 4.69a, the DX11 renderer and the various HD 3 textures for the maps and weapons/items, i kinda wish there was an option to have the original main menu as 16:9 as well. There is actually a thread on reddit about this, with no solution as of yet.

In this thread user brazzjazz writes: "It seems to be really challenging using this 16:9 image as UT99 uses a very complicated setup. The background is not a single JPEG file or anything, but actually inside one or more unreal-specific files, even split into several tiles. That is why I couldn't easily get the source image in the first place."

Am i missing some obvious mod or solution for this or has this not been modded up to this day?

BTW: the games runs and looks gorgeous so a big thanks to everyone who kept at it over all the years keeping this jewel in tip-top shape!
Last edited by sc_neo on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: 16:9 or widescreen main menu/desktop for UT99?

Post by Hellkeeper »

The problem is that the background is a mosaic of severl 256*256 texture in the game and textures can only have size limits that are powers of two, that is 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc.
The issue you will have is that you can't easily make a 16:9 ratio (or even 16:10) with powers of two.
The solution I see would be to have a huge texture with the full picture and black blank space around it and center the screen on it so the blank parts are invisible.
You must construct additional pylons.
sc_neo

Post by sc_neo »

Thanks for the info. Do you know which UT files contain those background menu tiles?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It's in UMenu.u, stored in your /system/ directory.
You can open it in the texture browser. Select "All files" in the type of file researched. By default the texture browser only sees .utx files but unreal extensions are only cosmetics: any .u?? filetype can contain scripts, textures, meshes, etc. all the same.
You must construct additional pylons.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”