For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Buggie
OldUnreal Member

Re: OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base

Post by Buggie »

There should be a common basis.

I repeatedly encounter a situation when a group of Italian / Spanish (or someone like that) players enters the server. They communicate with each other. But they do not understand the rest of the players. And other players do not understand them either.
You can’t say where the insta is, you can’t explain something or ask not to run ahead of the missiles.
After the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet, more groups of Russians will be added who will do the same.

This is one part of the problem.

The second part of the problem is that the place on the texture is not endless. All languages [ch8203][ch8203]cannot be placed into a single texture.
World already tried it all with single-byte encodings. Finished with Unicode.

Why is Cyrillic better than Indonesian, Japanese or Chinese (or any other symbol set)?
Why should UT add it, but the rest of the characters are not?
Last edited by Buggie on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

There should be a common basis.

I repeatedly encounter a situation when a group of Italian / Spanish (or someone like that) players enters the server. They communicate with each other. But they do not understand the rest of the players. And other players do not understand them either.
You can’t say where the insta is, you can’t explain something or ask not to run ahead of the missiles.
Well, part of the idea is to get more spanish/italian people playing in spanish/italian servers.
After the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet, more groups of Russians will be added who will do the same.

The second part of the problem is that the place on the texture is not endless. All languages [ch8203][ch8203]cannot be placed into a single texture.
World already tried it all with single-byte encodings. Finished with Unicode.

Why is Cyrillic better than Indonesian, Japanese or Chinese (or any other symbol set)?
Why should UT add it, but the rest of the characters are not?
Epic already took care of that when they designed the localization support.

Besides, ever since U1 v227g font support for cyrillic characters has been added, so your complaints are rendered a moot point, anyway.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
UnrealFox
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealFox »

There is another problem, game menu uses a system font. And the translator uses is a sprite with letters. If it is not replaced then .rut files will be displayed in game like this:
Øèðîêàÿ ýëåêòðèôèêàöèÿ þæíûõ ãóáåðíèé äàñò ìîùíûé òîë÷îê ïîäú¸ìó ñåëüñêîãî õîçÿéñòâà.

Maybe just stop using the sprite and make the display a system font?
Buggie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Buggie »

System font not always good solution. Better include normal unicode font into distributive and render it.
Because not all system fonts support full unicode range.
anth
Administrator

Post by anth »

I'm interested in testing the new Patch.
I play most of time on my trusted Thinkpad x230 (Intel HD 4000).

I also have a Powerbook G4 with 1.33 GHz PowerPC 7447 (G4) processor and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 under Linux/Mac OS X 10.5.8.
I'm afraid we can't do much for your Powerbook G4. We dropped PowerPC support and we are not going to bring it back.

Unrelated: I just invited another batch of people to the beta tester group. This will hopefully be the final batch as we are preparing to make the patches public on GitHub.

Regarding Cyrillic characters: it is technically feasible to add support for non-Latin character sets, especially now that the Linux and macOS clients and server support Unicode. However, I'm not sure if adding support for new character sets is such a good idea. All of the non-Latin characters you type in the chat or in your nickname will still show up as empty glyph boxes for 436-451b clients (even if they show up correctly in 469). The font textures would also get _much_ bigger if we imported other Unicode character sets.
Last edited by anth on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnrealFox
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealFox »

I'm interested in testing the new Patch.
I play most of time on my trusted Thinkpad x230 (Intel HD 4000).

I also have a Powerbook G4 with 1.33 GHz PowerPC 7447 (G4) processor and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 under Linux/Mac OS X 10.5.8.
I'm afraid we can't do much for your Powerbook G4. We dropped PowerPC support and we are not going to bring it back.

Unrelated: I just invited another batch of people to the beta tester group. This will hopefully be the final batch as we are preparing to make the patches public on GitHub.

Regarding Cyrillic characters: it is technically feasible to add support for non-Latin character sets, especially now that the Linux and macOS clients and server support Unicode. However, I'm not sure if adding support for new character sets is such a good idea. All of the non-Latin characters you type in the chat or in your nickname will still show up as empty glyph boxes for 436-451b clients (even if they show up correctly in 469). The font textures would also get _much_ bigger if we imported other Unicode character sets.
:)
Chat and texts in "UT" work perfectly in Russian, I’m talking specifically about the characters from "U1" in the translator.

For example, a COOP server. My friend and me want to play together on the server, and read / recognize the lore of this map, but we can not because special characters.

Once upon a time I was looking for information about a mutator for a translator so as not to replace the unreali.u file, but no one was doing this, and the server will not include such a file. :'(

It remains to rely on you - the developers.
I’m even ready to make a small donation for support.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

will have to bring iARM support soon now ;)

a POWER9 port would be cool though
VoT

Post by VoT »

I have a macbook pro retina 2013 with catalina and I'd like to become a betatester. Thank You in advance!
Thijs

Post by Thijs »

hello guys good evening.
I would like to participate in the beta if that possible.
Greetings Brasco
nounours121

Post by nounours121 »

Hi

I would like to participate in the beta.

VoT

Post by VoT »

Is there an official process to enter the beta?

thanks again,
Red_Fist2
OldUnreal Member

Post by Red_Fist2 »

What I consider bugs a lot of things I can't think of right away.

When you have a mover high off the ground it won't create bot paths.

A map I made a long time ago noobie, DM-3pole. 3 pillars with a teleporter on top of each  that goes back to the center pole of the map on the floor.
The bots work ok etc etc, but yet they would just inadvertently jump off the edge facing the center pole, a high pole.
I made the same map in UT2004, and they did the same exact thing !!! So bots have trouble with high places but they should not be jumping off high spots like that. There was no paths where they jumped off I made sure there was no path lines or even close, but yet they would just jump off.
So I don't know if it needs some new pathnode, or AI code

There are some actors already, but the counter NEEDS a way to be reset to zero.

I don't know what this en-tales render or engine, but if you have 4 or 8 cube movers moving in the same room you get the flickering mover problem. 
Last edited by Red_Fist2 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HEAV

Post by HEAV »

Hi, I'm /-/eav

Do bots shoot ScriptedPawn yet?
definitely a code oversight or unintended design; but i wouldn't like to keep using hacked classes like mskrall or a new gametype like monsterhunt just for that!

So I really beg you..! :pray: a Vanilla install must stand by itself and this is my top personal wish and request
Xom

Post by Xom »

I would like to help beta test 469 on win 10 please 8-)
HEAV

Post by HEAV »

Also, Is UMenu.u 200 mutator limit increased? I said 200, and that was clearly an issue for me; I had to wipe out loads of mutators just to get my favorite one to pop back! Cause it went missing!! :D :'(
HEAV

Post by HEAV »

I just forgot... Maybe this was already done but, the 150 display limit for the armor? it should top at 9999 just like the health
or just about any other value display that should look right even out of vanilla design conditions of the game ;)
Mog

Post by Mog »

Hi, I'd like to help with the beta test 469 (linux) if you're still taking applicants. Thanks !
maharaja

Post by maharaja »

Hi, 469 fan here, applying for beta testing on PC/win 8.1. Thanks.
Last edited by maharaja on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rc

Post by rc »

If you are still taking testers I am available

Windows 7/10 64
Kaiki Deishuu

Post by Kaiki Deishuu »

Hello, I'm new in this forum. I wanted to know if there is any way I could test the new version that you are working on. I'm just a big fan of this great game from my childhood
(My English is very bad)
Victima

Post by Victima »

hey guys. I would like to join betatester group for v469. Is it able in this moment?
Diamond-Thief

Post by Diamond-Thief »

I too would like to participate in the Beta
xan1242
OldUnreal Member

Post by xan1242 »

Hi,

Is it still possible for me to enter among the testers?

I'd love to do some weird Unreal Engine tests with 469.
Nice FU

Post by Nice FU »

Hi. How can i participate in beta test? Btw, I often play Unrial Tournament online ;) (but sometimes I have a lot of crashes)
PredAlien

Post by PredAlien »

I would also love to test out the v.469 patch. Where do I sign up?

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”