For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Mootangclan

Re: OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base

Post by Mootangclan »

Yes! Keep an eye on this forum. We will be needing Mac and Linux testers soon.
I can help you test the Linux release. Is there anything available yet?
I would also like to put my hand up to help out with this!
xan1242
OldUnreal Member

Post by xan1242 »

Awesome news!

I'd be willing to test in any OS, including Mac or Linux.
AntiSol

Post by AntiSol »

OMG OMG OMG.

I just heard about this. It's something I've been hoping for for years. It's been steadily getting more and more difficult to keep the old builds of UT running on Linux over the years, mostly due to the OSS dependency. Hopefully we'll also see a 64 bit build? That will become more important With distros like ubuntu dropping 32 bit compatibility.

I would love to help out with testing on Linux and I may also be able to help out in other ways. Please send me a PM and we can talk about ways I may be able to help :)

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Time to get the R710 out of the mothballs, and start lighting a fire under the Kore Gaming community to refresh their installations.

We've been looking for an excuse to get back into 99, you just gave us one!
RushPL

Post by RushPL »

What some of you may have already suspected or heard through the grapevine can now finally be announced. The OldUnreal team has reached an agreement with Epic games to take over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base. I will be joining this effort along with a few other members of the OldUnreal developer team.
Hey Anthrax, long time no see :-)

Wow - this news is beyond amazing. Seriously congratulations on being persistent and thanks to Epic for letting this project get off the ground. To be honest I have given up almost all hope of ever getting back to UT. UT4 experience burned me out.

Do you have an IRC/Slack/Discord channel where you guys discuss code?

I would be happy to help with C / C++ / cross-platform development. I am familiar and have developed against SDL2 in the past. I have been writing C++ code professionally for quite a while now. Another ideas for help - setting up CI or helping with any server/hosting related stuff.

PS. I am also thinking of reviving https://ut.rushbase.net and/or redoing the UTLauncher I built for UT4 to work for UT99 (with latest patches, once it's released)
micmon
OldUnreal Member

Post by micmon »

Count me in for testing on Linux!
Atomic Nuclear Zarkiel

Post by Atomic Nuclear Zarkiel »

Since you have access to the Unreal engine codebase, Is it possible to add proper VR support with motion controls, or is it outside of realms of probability (or brohibited by Epic)?

I've long since wanted to play UT/Unreal in proper VR.
esnesi
OldUnreal Member

Post by esnesi »

I know you guys are not changing the way the game looks or feels, but i would like to just drop this here:

Nexgen.
The most used feature of this client is the chat-hud.
It separates the kills/deaths from the regular chat, and is widely used on most BT and MH servers.
There are servers that also use features of nexgen - like the roles and spawn options and more.
Also a lot of servers don't use all the features of nexgen, and only use it because of the chat-hud.
Only those servers are stuck with the client (which has it's own exploits again i assume)

TLDR;
I was wondering if something can be done with the features of this chat-hud in the 469 patch.
Especially separating the kills/deaths from the chat.

Last edited by esnesi on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drake23
OldUnreal Member

Post by drake23 »

Hi,

this is great news! I'm also happy to help with Linux testing.

Right now I use v451 and the renderer from
https://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Unfortunately, I'm hit by this bug

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108933

So I'm happy to help if required :)

Thanks for keeping the greatest game alive!
[=PR=]renegade

Post by [=PR=]renegade »

This news is very exciting, Looking forward to the patch and hoping this can help generate some extra buzz for the community and an easier way for new players to get started!!
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

Hi,

There are 2 issues confirmed to occur with versions 436 and 451. It is probably fixed in version 469 already - i have no this information, so i report it here.

Both issues occur with NaliWeaponsIII mod, but are not up to NaliWeaponsIII mod itself.
We have discussed these issues with NaliWeaponsIII mod creator. It was expected to be posted here as soon as it is confirmed to be not related to some specific local factors of those hardware/software environments where clients/servers were running in (OS or hardware issues, missed files or improper settings, etc.).

1. A server side issue, apparently is up to UT99 binaries for Linux OS. It has been exposed through wrong behavior of modifier's charger of NaliWeaponsIII mod (see the animation picture below).
Exact reason of this issue and the way to fix it is unknown to me and to anyone i discussed it with.
Also, this issue persists if server is running with XC_Engine (tested with several versions, up to version 24b) under Linux OS, and with any server version - 436 and 451.

At the moment there are several confirmations this issue occurs on the servers running under different Linux OS versions (most of them are Ubuntu), and no opposite confirmations (that this issue does not occur if server is running under Linux OS).

Except this small visual anomaly, there seems to be no any else obvious related problems (still, this issue is there, and probably might be a reason of some else problems in some specific cases).

https://i.gifer.com/3Nyp6.gif (Example of improper charger's behavior. Picture taken from the server running under Linux OS.)

https://i.gifer.com/3Nyp5.gif (Example of proper charger's behavior - the way it is designed. Picture taken from the server running under Windows OS.)

2. Issue with textures. There are maps that use 'Engine.DefaultTexture' as the Movers' surface texture:

https://i.postimg.cc/7hxPg6hM/Engine-De ... exture.png

Generally, there are 2 cases when this happens: in case #1 needed texture is missed; in case #2 apparently the map is designed this way ('Engine.DefaultTexture' seems to be used intentionally).
In both of these cases attempt to draw NaliWeaponsIII blood decal upon the surface with such texture results in a client application crash either immediately or in a several seconds later.
If texture is missed, using a proper texture package fixes this problem.
If map is designed to have surfaces with 'Engine.DefaultTexture', there seems to be no else solution except replacing these textures by editing the map in the editor.

There is one thing about it that probably might be informative: if texture replacement is done for one surface of the Mover only, and another surface(s) remain with 'Engine.DefaultTexture', then client application crash occurs as soon as that Mover appears in the player's sight (without drawing NWIII blood decals upon it).

Current solutions/workarounds:
- At the moment there seems to be the only workaround players can use in this case - turning Decals off for any map that contains surfaces with 'Engine.DefaultTexture' texture.
- Admins that are aware of this problem keep replacing 'Engine.DefaultTexture' texture in every map where it is found (this fixes application crash for clients that have Decals turned on, but initial issue is still there and probably might be a reason of else problems in else specific cases as well).

Hope both of these issues can be fixed either by version 469 or by further updates.
Last edited by Eternity on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Since you have access to the Unreal engine codebase, Is it possible to add proper VR support with motion controls, or is it outside of realms of probability (or brohibited by Epic)?

I've long since wanted to play UT/Unreal in proper VR.
Possible yes, in fact I just started work on some alternate OpenGL based Render/RenderDev combo as a sideproject. I have some approaches to decouple lighting updates and frame updates, so it should be possible easily really reliable output 2 frames every 11ms. While 180 fps doesn't sound much, but one of the major problems in UE1 rendering is a large varience in times spent per frame, which too often will make single frames take longer, which wouldnt be tollerable in vr, etc.

However, apart that this is rather some long term approach, I plain do not own a VR headset, but this is a hard requirement for me to be really working on anything VR.

Another issue rendering wise I see that all the 2D ui rendering kinda happens in the 3d world.. this would need to be cleanly seperated, which may or may require incompatible binary changes, which would preclude it from the next patch. Though in general I would appreciate decoupling it for a simple reason: I crappity smacking want to be able to control brightness of the game world and not of all UI and the game world. :D
Last edited by han on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
medor
OldUnreal Member

Post by medor »

What about cheater with this ?

New ACE ?

http://www.unrealkillers.com/showthread.php?10656-cheater-back
UTfiles http://medor.no-ip.org/
Pitbull
Administrator

Post by Pitbull »

Nice. Look forward to this.
Upon this rock I will build my church O:-)

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.
fakeaccount

Post by fakeaccount »

Has anybody ever attempted to get the 2004's source code? Or there is just no motivation to support UT2k4?
darknovismc
OldUnreal Member

Post by darknovismc »

Good question !
We should at least get public headers with libs for UT2004 for native modding.
This would open the way to write better graphics and sound drivers.
Like directx11 or vulkan renderer with all modern features.
[OMA]Bite_Me

Post by [OMA]Bite_Me »

I'm not a coder, but I play lots of sniper mod UT99.  I would be happy to test on Windows 10 if any help is needed. 

Let me know if I can help!

Is the patch now available for download? I read through this post and don't see any download links. I assume this is the correct thread for that?
Last edited by [OMA]Bite_Me on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC]-[WARTZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by SC]-[WARTZ »

Nice to see my beloved game getting some updates. I didn't see a place for introductions but I know many of you know me already. Been playing UT since 99. I established a community in 2004 which is still alive and well. Matter of fact according to gametracker.com {HoF} has the #1 server for UT99 which took around 5 years to get there.

Anyways enough about {HoF}. I would like to see something fixed which from what Higor mentioned is a question for Anth. Has to do with "[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] AllowDownloads=".

Now I have ran Linux based UT servers before and noticed that if you set that to AllowDownloads=False it will force the client too receive files from a redirect server if one exists. But for Windows based UT servers this setting must be set AllowDownloads=True or the client will never receive files period even if there is a redirect present. It would be nice to see Windows based gamne servers work like Linux because half the time a client will timeout from a redirect and download straight from the game server which causes latency for players to rise if the game server is only allotted a certain amount of hosted MB.
Integration
OldUnreal Member

Post by Integration »

I am coming a little late to the party but that's great news!

Can you add more singleplayer support like OldSkool did? Or install OldSkool automatically with the patch? I think UT99 needs a menu system where you can start SinglePlayer mappacks on any difficulty with the corresponding gametype and where you can see the Coop servers (and Monster Hunt servers) in the server list.
Last edited by Integration on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC]-[WARTZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by SC]-[WARTZ »

I take back my prior issue with allowdownloads. This had come down to an IpServer.u issue that was already resolved.
tinkler
OldUnreal Member

Post by tinkler »

Hi! Any news for the mac os client? Many here are super eager for it since the catalina update that disabled 32bit apps (wine and crossover went off).

I can participate in the beta as well.
anth
Administrator

Post by anth »

The first testing packages for Mac are available on the beta tester forum. I've added you to the beta tester group so you should be able to see that forum now. I will update the Mac packages next week.
sphx
OldUnreal Member

Post by sphx »

@anth could you add me also?
tinkler
OldUnreal Member

Post by tinkler »

The first testing packages for Mac are available on the beta tester forum. I've added you to the beta tester group so you should be able to see that forum now. I will update the Mac packages next week.
Ok thank you. Will follow the progress.
Arek

Post by Arek »

Hi. Please count me into beta testing - Mac - Linux user.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”