For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

omer

Re: OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base

Post by omer »

I would like to be tester
thank you
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Does anybody know if this is true?
http://forum.ultimateut.tk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1043&p=2598#p2595

If it is, I won't be getting this update. I love mapping with UTDMT & UTDMW.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
MasterJ

Post by MasterJ »

Has the Beta released for this week? Thanks.
[RUFX]RoninMastaFX
OldUnreal Member

Post by [RUFX]RoninMastaFX »

Hey all! I have a Gentoo Linux amd64 machine and would like to test the Linux version (and the Windows version with Wine 5.0.1). Thank you very much for keeping the game alive! ;D
Last edited by [RUFX]RoninMastaFX on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DmK|Waterkater

Post by DmK|Waterkater »

I would like to join the beta as well. Software tester as a profession, running UT on windows 10.
PPacman

Post by PPacman »

Hi!

Came here from Reddit. I would love to beta-test the new 469 patch! Just bought a brand new Dell G5 with RTX2060 and 144hz screen and the UT99 is running perfectly in D3D9x.

Hope to get a chance to participate in beta-testing.
Last edited by PPacman on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darknovismc
OldUnreal Member

Post by darknovismc »

Hi, I am the developer of the recent DirectX 11 renderer:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-direc ... une-and-dx
Could you sign me for beta tester ?
sc2020

Post by sc2020 »

@anth Thank you very much!

This all brings back endless memories of LAN's back in the early 2000's.

I nearly lost my mind thinking about UT99 again and watching this

Please add me for Linux Beta Testing

Main system
OS -    Linux Debian 10 Buster 4.19 kernel
CPU - i5 4670k 4c4t @ 4.2ghz
RAM - 32G
GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
GPU Driver - Nvidia Official

I'm keen to test
* Unreal Tournament 99 stock
* + high-res textures: HD-Texture-Pack-3.0.1
* +  highres skins: UnrealHD_v2_1
* + Nali Weapons 3 Final
* + OldUnreal mod

I'm also possibly interested in testing UT99 on other OS's
XP64 bit - Retro gaming laptop (in regular use)
Win10 - My overwatch rig that collects dust  ;D

Also keen to test running servers in Linux

Skins in system files
Just something you're probably already aware of...
Apparently there are some old low-res skins in system files that causes issues with the high-res skin mod.
If that could easily be fixed it would probably facillitate everyone's efforts providing a massive overall refresh to the game.
* New patch
* New renderer
* New textures
* New skins
It might really inspire new life for UT99.

Would this patch have any relevance to Rune? If so I'd test it as well.

Anth:
I know this is a #%#$ crazy question and _REALLY_ low priority... but how hard would it be to compile an ARM version?
I'd test on a RbPi 4 4GB if there's a binary for it ;D

EDIT
Oh, I see I'm not the only crazy person:
Hi!
Do you guys thinking about an ARM ucc server ?
Would be great to deploy servers on Raspberry PI or another ARM solution!
I really want to bump this excellent post
Not sure what bugs exactly you guys have in mind to workaround, thought I'd compile a list of some I consider essential to have in a new shiny source port for Linux
Probably you already know about these, so just in case...
1) Ancient libstdc++ compiled into the binary conflicts with modern Mesa https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108933 which effectively prevents launching as is
2) Crazy game speed in some cases - the engine core seems to try to spew out new frames as if from the Minigun. The effect varies, sometimes its slow like in treacle. Could be connected to power management, especially for some AMD CPUs. Probably a combination of factors.
3) ALSA or even Pulseaudio support instead of OSS
4) SDL2 would be nice - it behaves better for the user than the old one.
5) Last but not the least a state of the art OpenGL renderer))
Being able to run Unreal with modernized stuff on Linux (sound, renderer, etc, with unlimited FPS (like 200~300 FPS or whatever it gets)) would be AMAZING!
Last edited by sc2020 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

I really want to bump this excellent post
Not sure what bugs exactly you guys have in mind to workaround, thought I'd compile a list of some I consider essential to have in a new shiny source port for Linux
Probably you already know about these, so just in case...
1) Ancient libstdc++ compiled into the binary conflicts with modern Mesa https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108933 which effectively prevents launching as is
2) Crazy game speed in some cases - the engine core seems to try to spew out new frames as if from the Minigun. The effect varies, sometimes its slow like in treacle. Could be connected to power management, especially for some AMD CPUs. Probably a combination of factors.
3) ALSA or even Pulseaudio support instead of OSS
4) SDL2 would be nice - it behaves better for the user than the old one.
5) Last but not the least a state of the art OpenGL renderer))
all of this and more has been addressed
UnrealFox
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealFox »

Greetings! I am writing to you from Russia. I would also like to take part in the beta test.
Would also like to ask to add multilang in game:
The translator from the Unreal uses the font inside the UnrealI.u file, and if the file is replaced, then it is impossible to connect to the server. Everytime constantly switch UnrealI.u files to play singleplayer or multiplayer.

Sorry for poor english.
mage
OldUnreal Member

Post by mage »

I have a Linux server running and would like to test the beta 469 please, thank you!
Elite

Post by Elite »

I would like to help beta test 469 on win 10 please
Last edited by Elite on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thijs

Post by Thijs »

hi guys i want 2 test the beta 469 patch i hope i can test it :D
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Greetings! I am writing to you from Russia. I would also like to take part in the beta test.
The translator from the Unreal uses the font inside the UnrealI.u file, and if the file is replaced, then it is impossible to connect to the server. Everytime constantly switch UnrealI.u files to play singleplayer or multiplayer.

Sorry for poor english.
You can conform the Unreali.u file to the original Unreali.u with ucc conform so you can go online but you will get kicked from ACE servers. Is the font you use an extension of the original one? It might be possible to add it.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

Is there any plan to make a 64bit build of the patch? I'm asking not because I need that much memory, but because Ubuntu started to stop shipping rarely used 32bit libs.
The dependency on libs that were not supported anymore was what made the original Loki UT version unusable in the first place.
alone alive again
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Is there any plan to make a 64bit build of the patch?
I was told not at the moment but I still hope. It would be great to have amd64 support out of the box ::) Especially since the Mac version is 64-only
Ubuntu started to stop shipping rarely used 32bit libs.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this - but no, it's not a problem at least for UT. Everything needed is still in the repos.
The dependency on libs that were not supported anymore was what made the original Loki UT version unusable in the first place.
Erm, not exactly. You probably mean the GTK1 for the *GUI* mode of the installer.
Last edited by tlk on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buggie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Buggie »

Hello.
I want get access to v469 beta patch for provide some feedback, ideas and info on actual done code, not make blind assumption "if you not implement/fix these then you need to do this, beacuse...", like it happens now at ut99 forum.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

I was told not at the moment but I still hope. It would be great to have amd64 support out of the box ::) Especially since the Mac version is 64-only
OK, thanks. Let's cross fingers :)
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this - but no, it's not a problem at least for UT. Everything needed is still in the repos.
Actually, in the repos there are two libs missing as of 20.04:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/libxmp4
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/libalure1
For both the i386 build is gone. It's does not break UT469 per se because the 469 patch ships those libs with it. Still, I try to use the system libs whenever possible to avoid problems like the one I described in the HRTF bug report.
Canonical did started to drop 32bit builds but with exceptions for those on high demand named by Steam and the community. The two linked libs are examples for the ones that are gone for good.
Erm, not exactly. You probably mean the GTK1 for the *GUI* mode of the installer.
I thought I remembered some odd dependencies outside the ancient GTK1, but I guess you're right. I gave up on the linux version some years ago when wine started to work flawlessly for me.
alone alive again
Kappei

Post by Kappei »

Hi everyone! Just discovered about this project and it's awesome! If you still need Catalina Mac testers I'm more than willing to participate!
UnrealFox
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealFox »

Sorry for poor english.
You can conform the Unreali.u file to the original Unreali.u with ucc conform so you can go online but you will get kicked from ACE servers. Is the font you use an extension of the original one? It might be possible to add it.

I am not a modder, and now I don’t remember what to do, as I did before. I really want to ask you to enter support for Cyrillic characters inside this file

Last edited by UnrealFox on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buggie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Buggie »

I really want to ask you to enter support for Cyrillic characters
What about another languages/charsets? Or it must be full unicode range? English only enough for all. It is make all players connected with one language.
Last edited by Buggie on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Being able to play the game in other languages attract new people to the game. You can't expect a community to strive without new blood. You can't expect servers to be filled if there aren't people playing the game.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Controller

Post by Controller »

I'm interested in testing the new Patch.
I play most of time on my trusted Thinkpad x230 (Intel HD 4000).

I also have a Powerbook G4 with 1.33 GHz PowerPC 7447 (G4) processor and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 under Linux/Mac OS X 10.5.8.
Buggie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Buggie »

Being able to play the game in other languages attract new people to the game. You can't expect a community to strive without new blood. You can't expect servers to be filled if there aren't people playing the game.
Let's be honest: a game 20 years ago has very little chance of attracting new players if they have a newer alternative.

Adding Cyrillic fonts will not change much. It will simply add more players who will not understand English and who will be difficult to interact with for this reason.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Let's be honest: a game 20 years ago has very little chance of attracting new players if they have a newer alternative.

Adding Cyrillic fonts will not change much. It will simply add more players who will not understand English and who will be difficult to interact with for this reason.
And because of that we should restrict the game to only people who understand english. I don't agree with that. At all.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”