For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unfinishable SP Campaign in Retail 99UT

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Ferox

Unfinishable SP Campaign in Retail 99UT

Post by Ferox »

Recently i was trying to play the original unpatched version of UT, for some reason it will not start until version 432 on modern systems.
I got to play it in that version but then I hit another problem in the Campaign.

In the Map DOM-Sesmar (in the Singleplayer Campaign) you play against the Red Claw, which are all supposed to be SkaarjBots.
The first thing that made me a bit suspicious was the missing player models on the selectionscreen. Yet since they don't have any biography either, i thought just my memory of seeing them many years ago
was wrong. Then the map loads and everything seems fine, except when trying to hit the Fire Key the match isn't starting. Also the Blue Team Counter was missing.

After some research I installed the first Official Map-Pack from February 2000 and that did the trick.
There are 3 Files added that make playing possible, namely: epiccustommodels.u, tskmskins.int and tskmskins.utx

Now what this makes me wonder. Was the Campaign generally not finishable until the Mappack was released, or without any custom downloads out of the box only with the Goty Version with has all the Mappacks pre-included?
Research on the Internet Archive doesn't bring any problems of that kind to light, yet on the CD there is clearly nothing to be found that would count as a Skintexture for Skaarjbots except the classic Unreal ones ???
Ferox

Re: Unfinishable SP Campaign in Retail 99UT

Post by Ferox »

After some research I stumbled upon this. "The retail version features Black Legion as the rival team"
There exists also a Youtube Video where they play version 400 and indeed. No Skaarj Team.
Which means they were added in some later patch. This change is not found in any of the Patchnotes so its not clear which one changed it.

Still strange that they would add in a new Enemy Typ without including the related SkinTextures
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Ferox wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:16 am Recently i was trying to play the original unpatched version of UT, for some reason it will not start until version 432 on modern systems.
I got to play it in that version but then I hit another problem in the Campaign.

In the Map DOM-Sesmar (in the Singleplayer Campaign) you play against the Red Claw, which are all supposed to be SkaarjBots.
The first thing that made me a bit suspicious was the missing player models on the selectionscreen. Yet since they don't have any biography either, i thought just my memory of seeing them many years ago
was wrong. Then the map loads and everything seems fine, except when trying to hit the Fire Key the match isn't starting. Also the Blue Team Counter was missing.

After some research I installed the first Official Map-Pack from February 2000 and that did the trick.
There are 3 Files added that make playing possible, namely: epiccustommodels.u, tskmskins.int and tskmskins.utx

Now what this makes me wonder. Was the Campaign generally not finishable until the Mappack was released, or without any custom downloads out of the box only with the Goty Version with has all the Mappacks pre-included?
Research on the Internet Archive doesn't bring any problems of that kind to light, yet on the CD there is clearly nothing to be found that would count as a Skintexture for Skaarjbots except the classic Unreal ones ???
Yeah, for some reason the campaign is broken on v436 as it seems to have been thought out for the GOTY version (which includes Bonus Pack 1, Bonus Pack 2 and Bonus Pack 3) rather than the retail one. If you don't have the BP1 models/skins, it'll appear that way.

In version 469* you have the required files included, so you should be able to play as intended by the patches.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The GOTY/Regular behavior is actually switchable by a variable. I forgot what it was called but it should be in the config. So yea for some reason your version got switched into the "GOTY" mode.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

A little bit more research with a few more clarifications:

First here is something from the Patchnotes of Version 436 "fixed problems with single player ladder than cropped up in 432"
After trying out 436 the 3D Models are still missing and the Description Texts is for the Blood Claw, but now the Maps with Skaarj in them load with classic Mercenary Skins.

I found the Variable but its neither in the 432 nor the 436 standard UnrealTournament.ini file. So I had to add it

[UTMenu.UTLadder]
bGOTY=False

But it's not changing anything. It was probably added for later Versions and to the best of my knowledge it just switches off some GOTY Maps added to the Ladder.

So what I get from it is that the Bug was specific to Version 432, and got a quick hotfix in 436 probably in preparation for the GOTY Release, which adds Skaarj Teams (but already added in 432) and
the Maps DM-ArcaneTemple, DM-Malevolence, DM-ShrapnelII, CTF-Hydro16 and CTF-Orbital but leaves out the older DM-Barricade.
Sadly 432 is the oldest one I can get to run. So the Mappack is still the best option so far.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”