For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

CTF-UTDM-WaterGiant

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

CTF-UTDM-WaterGiant

Post by EvilGrins »

My fondness for the UTDM-monsters in my edits may be a bit more extreme than I've let on, as I've only shared some of them but I've literally got about 350 map edits, of various gametypes, setup so far. Hence my problem with the recent UT-patch which disabled there effectiveness, at least for team games...

...but that issue may be over.

Recent observation from Buggie shows that might not be a problem anymore · viewtopic.php?p=101477#p101477 · so I'm tentatively optimistic.

Hence, back in business!
This is clearly an enhancement on the CTF-LavaGiant theme, except for no lava and a much larger playing area. There are multiple ways to get to either side, really only 1 way to get to the flag but more than a couple ways to get down once you have it. Map was designed for SLV, which still works as the flag area is adequately spaced for anyone to fly in and snatch up the flag... and as with most SLV maps there was no pathing; got Nelsona to fix that up.

One of the two paths to get to the other side requires a translocator, so have that enabled.

Despite being standard CTF, I added a UTDMT assigned to a non-existent Gold Team. There's a gazebo on top of the mountain range, so I placed him up there. He's not very actively involved in the game, though I suppose he might be able to throw boulders at passing SLV/RocketX, and mostly he spends his time complaining about how lonely he is being stuck up there.
At ground level both bases are protected by UTDMS, Nelsona worked up monster-pathing so they patrol along the front of each castle. They may wander off periodically, but they always come back.

One thing I wanted to do, as I added a Gold Team a Green Team seemed like a fun idea, was to put a UTDMW on these odd little floating islands at the extreme right of the two castles. Given how players are, eventually someone would shoot at them and that would bring them into play... attacking whichever team was closest to them, but ran into a small problem there.
The main body of water surrounding the playing area is an energetic form of water, obviously water (hence the map name) was the idea but it doesn't seem very watery. There's smaller bodies of the same stuff between the paths to get to the other side that don't have this issue, but the larger surrounding "water" when any UTDMW fell in, it would never respawn; smaller areas they would but much longer than usual time needed to pass.

Ran this by some other mappers, nobody could figure out how to fix it without replacing the whole thing... figured UTDMW weren't necessary, so scrapped that idea.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1dpt7s7k ... rGiant.zip

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”