For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

TUT-Deathmatch

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

TUT-Deathmatch

Post by Neon_Knight »

It's been quite a lot of time ever since I've dusted off my UED (poor skills), but I did. While I finish the Czech localization, I'll leave this here, which I just started yesterday.

I've proposed in the past, several times, an idea about an advanced tutorial that replaces or complements the current one UT has. So here's the first alpha of my attempt. It's a course meant to end in an 1on1 arena. The TUT- prefix is the prefix Epic used in the latest UTs to signal which maps aren't meant to be anything else but tutorials. The map isn't bot-pathed yet. (cannot stress this enough). Also it's a bit rough around the edges. If there's any technique I may have missed, tell me.

D/L link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8873ssd4sgnw3 ... 2.zip?dl=0

To-Do:
  • Add Playerstarts (some of them only for players, others only for bots).
  • Add bot pathing in the main arena.
  • Add messages for each section of the course (see end of the post).
Screenshots (a2):

One of the things I want to add is messages in a similar fashion as they appear in the regular UT tutorial (may do a voiceover if I find some silence time) before each section. Also button-triggered doors separating the areas.
Welcome to Unreal Tournament's Advanced Training Course. This course is meant to get you acquainted to Unreal Tournament's more advanced mechanics. The basics were already covered by the Deathmatch tutorial in the Ladder. Now we'll see many other techniques that you may find useful across the game.

The first technique we're going to see is called "dodging". Dodging allows you to cover ground and avoid enemy fire as quick as possible, something that jumping and even regular strafing struggles against. In order to dodge, first you need to check if "Dodging" option in the menu is enabled. Then you must quickly press twice the Strafe Left or Strafe Right key. If you find you can't dodge as much as you would prefer, you can change the reaction time in the Options menu. You need to use dodging in order to cross this section. If you fall, there are stairs nearby that take you to the beginning point.

Excellent! Dodging also allows you to reach otherwise unreachable places and find many shortcuts across the maps. This slope is too steep to be walked on, so in order to reach the higher step and proceed forward, you need to dodge in the direction of the wall. Place yourself near the slope, but not touching it, face a direction, and dodge on the direction of the wall. If you face the left wall, dodge in the right direction, and viceversa.

You need to continue dodging your way up. Once you're at the top, dodge one of the last slopes in order to proceed.

Well done! Now we're going to see another key movement: elevator jump. Like dodging, it allows you to reach otherwise unreachable places, and find shortcuts. You'll notice this elevator stops before reaching the upper level. You must jump before it reaches its highest point in order to get the required boost. While this course is set so you take no damage, be aware that falling from high heights will deal damage to you.
Great! You're doing it pretty well. Now, take the Jump Boots. These boots allow you to jump quite high and reduce the damage taken by falling from high distances. In order to reach the next level, you must have the boots equipped. You need to reach the upper level by doing three consecutive jumps. Be careful, though, you only have three jumps before they expire, and once they do, their protection against falling damage wears off as well. However in this area, if you fall, don't worry, as you won't take damage.

With height-based jumps out of the way, let's now take a look at weapon jumps. The first jump we're going to see is the "Impact Jump". As the name suggests, you must fully charge your Impact Hammer, then aim all the way down, jump and immediately release the trigger. The following balcony cannot be walked or dodged, and there are no jump boots nearby to safely pass it. Your only resource in this situation is the Impact Jump.

Impact Jumps can also be combined with Jump Boots in order to reach ludicrous heights at the cost of some damage. Try it. Time your Impact Hammer release so it doesn't get wasted and you can reach the high point. Don't worry for the damage here, though, as this area is configured so you take no damage.

Excellent. I bet it took you some tries, isn't it? This is the last jump we're going to see today. Now walk onto the teleporter and enter the arena in order to battle the opponent that will be awaiting for you. Once in there you'll be given an Enforcer and then dropped onto the arena. The area is filled with obstacles such as the ones we saw today so you can practice these jumps while fighting. It's a quite vertical arena, so make use of everything we've learnt today and you should be able to win this fight. Good luck!
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”