For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UT player pawn & mover issue fix with v469?

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

UT player pawn & mover issue fix with v469?

Post by Psychomorph »

UT has that issue, that the player is being seen and attacked through movers by AI (doors, lifts, etc.) when you play online Co-op (Unreal and UT SP/Co-op maps). It does not happen in Unreal, so it is a UT issue.

I wonder if it can be patched? I assume that you have the source code for UT, too, so should be at least feasible?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: UT player pawn & mover issue fix with v469?

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Mods to replace the pawns with pawns that don't use FastTrace can fix this. It's not necessarily needed to change it at the patch level. Mods could also revert the fix by overriding the trace calls.

It's worth noting FastTrace didn't exist in Unreal 1 -- it's just a trace that happens to ignore movers -- which is why you see this issue.

I don't know if 469 has attempted to change this already in any way, I would argue that UT is working as designed, in that UT was not really ever intended to have monsters as it was released, were it not for UT99 including unrealshare/unreali, UT99 wouldn't have shipped with any actual scriptedpawns.
Psychomorph
OldUnreal Member

Post by Psychomorph »

You say mods to replace pawns. That means every single pawn needs to be customized? There are maps that use custom monsters, that means you'd need to customize all of it, too. Seems like lot's of work.
Any tutorials out there that explain how to do this? I'm no programmer.

I wonder, what is the purpose of FastTrace?

If an UT patch could have the feature to turn on/off the FastTrace feature so that it would be overwritten universally, it would have the benefit that server admins could simply set it and it would apply to all maps.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Maybe a mutator for Oldskool... or a modification of Oldskool itself to disable fasttrace?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Something can be disabled like that only if a boolean is already provided in the code and while I never studied fasttrace I don't think it was there and never saw it, such a variable. But it would be possible then for 469 to introduce such a boolean to toggle it off/on and as such could be a config thing or indeed possible via a mutator by then....

either that or it would have to be a native mod that adresses this somehow. But that would be very hacky and tacky.

As far as I understand it this function is called extra by default and this function didn't exist in the earlier engine builds, just as Casey said. But I don't think there is a variable that checks for it, its just hardcoded to call that function. But 469 can introduce something to make it optional indeed.

But a lot of stuff could break so its more like up to the player's risk or server admin's risk to do this. Some stuff made later could depend on it.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”