For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unable to Open Door to Next Level in Nali Chronicles

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Unable to Open Door to Next Level in Nali Chronicles

Post by Fred »

Hi,

In Nali Chronicles, level 15 map named NCLevel015.unr, I can't get the door open that leads to the next level, map NCLevel016.

The level 15 map is the one that takes the player to Demon City, a fun and action-packed place where one can engage hostiles. It's the place shown below. I'm having trouble with knowing how to get an image uploaded.:

Imagefile.php

At the end, after taking care of some hostiles at the top of the tower you see in the background, the player exits the tower and opens a door to the next level.

I am unable to get that door to open. I must have done something wrong, but I can't figure out what that error could be. I've played that level over several times attempting to find out what could make that door open. Can't figure it out.

OK, anyone , give me a clue,

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unable to Open Door to Next Level in Nali Chronicles

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It never opens as such iirc. I wish I had noticed this earlier because I could have checked it in my limited time today on the windows laptop. I get only small chances of opportunity now.

But basically some event has to happen there for you to proceed. The door itself doesn't open you just get transported or cutscene might play or something or using certain item.

I don't recall exactly now...but its just a teleporter in the end. Just explore the map around again try to see if there's anything you missed.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You basically get close to that door and taken to the next level but it might not be enabled until you do everything in the level. You were in the hangar area right?

with the shuttle that you have to press panel to move so you get into the ducts
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hi Leo,

Good to hear from you again. Whatever it is that gets me to the next level doesn't happen. The trip wire that enables the transition must be obscure, because I've looked around, but I can't find it. I've also concluded that I likely missed something, but what? Look around some more? Oh my.

Fred

Edit: yeah, I've been through the ducts, and everything else, including pressing the panel in the hanger, and all. Maybe my vision needs correction, I don't know.
Last edited by Fred on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Strange. Next time I boot the laptop and make space for it again (it requires additional components to run as its in a bad shape) I will inspect the map myself and see what exactly enables it. I wish there was a walkthrough around I could point you to. But there isn't apparently even unrealsp wiki doesn't have a page on this level (they do have on other levels though).
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, Leo, good to hear that you are interested in this issue. Good luck to ya.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I forgot to ask but you ran it on the community patch 469b now? I don't know if that could be an issue again (like the saves in legacy).
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo, no, I ran it on UT version 436. I have several computers, not all are upgraded to 469b. I'm sort of a computer nut, from a user point of view.

Fred
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

The rabbit should have spoken to you and told you what to do, however said rabbit is known to sometimes decide to stop talking for some reason so if that's the case in your playthrough:

You need to go up the tower in the background of that screenshot and use the Divine Communication spell to speak with the Elder, then the path will open up for you.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Ah see? You had to use item, in this case a spell. Thx for helping him steadz.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Stead-z,

Well, cut off my pants and call me shorty. It didn't occur to me to use a spell. How is one to know that? Oh, well, live and learn. I'll remember that tip the next time I play this map pack.

Thanks much,

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

the rabbit is supposed to tell you but sometimes that convo doesn't trigger apparently
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

The trick with the rabbit is always to stop whatever you're doing when he starts speaking as it seems triggering other stuff at the same time messes with his ability to speak in the future (and you miss out on a lot of good story bits if this happens!) I remember I had it happen to me on my first playthrough and was surprised to see a video playthrough where the rabbit was giving the player hints throughout the course of the game (there's another level a couple after this one where what the rabbit tells you is vital to getting out of the starting area lol)
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Well, that explains it. The rabbit stopped talking to me early on. I'll play this map pack again soon and make sure I take care of the rabbit. He talks kind of funny anyway. I mean, he's somewhat hard to understand. Maybe it's his expertise with the language. Rabbit language doesn't translate well to English.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

lol that's a really good explanation Fred. rabbit language doesn't translate well into english.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo,

I started a new playthrough of Nali Chronicles the other day. When I got to the point where I met the rabbit, I noticed an on-screen message that I placed it in my pack pack. It never talked to me again after that. I have no idea why.

Anyway, everything went well, and when I reached the top of the tower in Demon City, Stead_Z's tip to use a teleportation spell to move on the next level worked like a charm. That is, everything worked well until I finished the level in Prophet's Palace. At the end of that level, again I had no idea how to get the next level. The game didn't move me along, like sometimes is the case. Teleportation didn't do anything.

I'm confident that I finished everything in Prophet's Palace, but maybe not because I couldn't move on. There must be something I don't understand. The following picture is the location where I believe the teleportation takes place, I say this because of the two arches you see in the picture. I'll upload an image, hope it works.:

1aPalice.jpg

Maybe someone can again provide a tip to help me move on to the next level. Are you listening Stead_Z? Hope this works.

Thaks much,

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo, Stead_Z & All,

I found a YouTube video on Prophet's Palace that answered all my questions. I was casting a transportation spell at the location shown in the picture, above post. I should have cast the spell at a previous location, the one soon after exiting the location below the surface, the one after the long walkway out in the either. Those that have played this game know where that is. Hard to explain.

I returned to my game and cast the spell at that location and I was teleported properly just like the game was designed to do. All is well again.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yea this map is one of the most confusing ones tbh. Most players get lost here. I do remember it well though because at coop we played it a lot in 2020. In coop the spells are skipped (and normally nali chronicles is not even played in coop) and triggers placed instead.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hey Leo,

Talk about players getting lost in some level in Nali Chronicles, I found it hard to deal with so many spells and other options that enhance game play. Remembering what they all do and what keys to press is challenging. Consequently, I didn't use many spells. I didn't care to deal with the challenges.

Even so, I did use some. My favorite spell is the one that casts a small green lake that's infested with a large squid. A hostile will step into the lake and get stuck and then devoured by the squid. I often used this spell, mostly when I was low on health and couldn't survive much combat. Place the lake where you know the opposition will likely step into it. Then, step back safely out of the way and watch his demise. Fun!

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes when I played it for the first time I found it also a bit overdone too. I wouldn't have minded if they ever released the maps they cut out (past the nali sky island there is a skip, there were maps meant to be played there).
You get knocked unconscious instead is how they solved it. There might have been some problem with those levels and they had to separate into releases so they did that instead...

I don't know what it was but iirc they incorporated some other pack's content into this, maybe those levels were part of it also. I can't find it in my memory and its way gone from the internet, I vaguely remember the discussion on the old unrealsp, as in unrealsp had multiple iteration of the forums over the years.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo & All,

I like Nali Chronicles a lot. I would like to know why the rabbit stops talking to me, and to others maybe. As far as I know, the rabbit is supposed to be responsible for providing the information needed for player to move to the next level in certain locations. If player can't get to the next level, then he get stuck where he is. Not nice!

For anyone having this problem of not knowing how to get to the next level, here is what I learned from my experience, in case anyone finds this information useful.:

Player must use the Telepathic Contact spell after completing gameplay in the following locations, to move to the next level:

⦁ Demon City: top of the tower (after dispensing with the hostiles there).
⦁ Moonspire: rooftop (after dispensing with the hostiles there).
⦁ The Prophet's Palace: on the walkway along the ether, after exiting the room below the surface.

Other levels move the player automatically to the next map. Player may have to look for it though. To move to the final map, from the preceding map, The Temple of Gazra (Revisited), player must use a lift located alongside the platform where he first arrived. This is an example of having to look for it.

I played this playthrough on one of my computers that has the latest high resolution graphics that require Direct3D11 Renderer to work. The game ran properly at all times. The only problem I had was the rabbit stopped talking early on. And the new HD graphics? Oh, they look wonderful!

Fred

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”