For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Saves Failing to Load

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Saves Failing to Load

Post by Fred »

Hello,

An early save in the first level of the custom map pack "Legacy," failed to load when I got killed early on. I checked the Log, and the following 3 lines at the end of the Log look like what caused the problem.:

Log: Failed import: Font Font Editor.DynamicFont0 (File../System/Editor.U)
Warning: Failed to load "..\Save\Save 141.USA" : Can't Find Font in File "Font Editor Dynamic Font0"..
Warning: Failed to Load "Level None.MyLevel" : Can't find font in file "Font Editor Dynamic Font0"..

It looks like the game is trying to load MyLevel data (my interpretation). However, I'm using HD 4K extreme edition textures in UT for D3D11 renderer, which I'm also using. I also have UT updated to 469b patch.

I restarted Legacy twice to check whether the problem would reappear, and it did. The other custom maps are working satisfactorily in UT, so far.

Anyone have some advice on what I can do to make Legacy start working properly?

Thanks much,

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Re: Saves Failing to Load

Post by Fred »

I fixed it. Eventually, it occurred to me that maybe all I have to do is to reinstall the game from the UMOD file I have saved on a CD disc. I reinstalled Legacy and now the save files load as one would expect. All is well. Easy fix that took a long time for me to try. Brains don't always work as they should. Ha.

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Well, I spoke to soon. After reinstalling the game (Legacy), the first 2-3 saves reloaded when needed. However, some saves later wouldn't load. I get the same 3 lines in the Log as those posted on my original comments above. That is, the game can't find the information to reload the saves. Thus, I can't play the game.

It seems to me that this problem as to do with the HD 4K extreme edition textures in UT for D3D11 renderer that I'm using, but I can't actually prove it. I have played Legacy prior to installing those textures, and I had no issues like this, so that's why I'm saying it looks like it's those textures that are causing the problem. Correlation is proof of causation, right?

Maybe someone knows more about this than I do. If so, kindly enlighten me.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Its some incompatibility with editor.u so I'm not sure the textures are to blame. It might be something they missed with that patch or you might have accidentaly resaved the editor file. But if you don't use unrealed that shouldn't happen. However I had with the previous patch editor problems like when saving something it tried to resave everything it loaded.
I think it should be reported to the 469 team.

Legacy is one of those packs that use less-used features of the engine anyways. That might be why it can be a problem that slipped past the 469 team.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hi Leo,

Maybe things aren't as dismal as I had thought on my last post. Though some saves loaded just fine, and some others didn't, I kept playing anyway. As I progressed, the saves seemed to be working better. I'm just going to keep playing to see whether the problem fixes itself. Maybe this situation isn't as dismal as I had believed. We'll see. Keeping fingers crossed. I'll post back later when i get further along in the game.

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo,

Regarding your comment about reporting this "save" problem to the 469 team, I have no idea on how to do that. Maybe the team reads these posts and can decide for themselves whether to look into this, I don't know.

I had a similar problem when playing Deja Vu-Gryphon Revisited. Some saves would not load. I posted about that on this forum. Based on these instances, maybe the 469 team can take a look to whether some action is needed. Beats me.

Fred

Edit: OK, there is definitely something going on here. Also, why are some of the HD textures in the game "Redux" reverting to MyLevel textures, as the game progresses? Yeah, maybe take a look, 469 team.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Its unlikely that they will take a look themselves, but 469 has a forum section here. I'll tell someone to take a look or try at least.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, Leo, thanks for at least trying. These problems are not easy to sort.

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo,

I have additional information. I have another computer on which I also have Legacy installed. This other computer also has the same HD textures and D3D11 renderer installed as that of the computer with "saves" not loading.

The additional information is that I started playing Legacy on this other computer and I had no problems with saves. They loaded just like they should. So, is it possible that the "save" problem exists only on my one computer, and not on the other? It sure is looking that way.

Just to let you know the latest information regarding this "save" issue I'm having with Legacy on just one computer.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That's weird really. Well I sent out multiple messages (I also sent you one private message as well, earlier on), so hopefuly someone will take a look.

It might be really that the editor.u file was somehow altered in between those saves or something. Try compare the files between the computers if they look identical (file size and all),
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hey Leo,

As you requested, below are listed the information for the two Editor.u file comparisons:

Computer with the problem: 8/15/2021, 125 KB
Computer with no problem: 8/17/2021, 125 KB

I hope this means something that's useful. The dates are recent, maybe that's when I installed 469b, but not sure. Maybe I should reinstall 469b in the problem computer?

I read your private message.

Fred

P.S. I've never used Unread Editor, don't know how. Maybe someone else has some additional information to assist progress here. Thanks for asking for help from others.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

But I saw you used unrealed in a past topic about illhaven when someone guided you to move playerstart (joystick icon), but that was like a decade ago. It was about illhaven_1 before the problem was fixed with 227. Either way on the surface those files look identical, but can you check in their properties what the actual byte size is? Down to every byte I mean. But if you're sure you didn't run the editor then I suppose its no use theorizing about it. Then I don't see how the file could have been changed/altered. Without me having the ability to test anything now I can't help much but to try to summon someone else's attention.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

You posted, "But I saw you used unrealed in a past topic about illhaven when someone guided you to move playerstart (joystick icon), but that was like a decade ago. It was about illhaven_1 before the problem was fixed with 227."

Haa, Leo, you have a good memory. I forgot about that, but yes, indeed, I used the editor back then, but only because someone told me how to go about doing what I did. I wouldn't have known how without that guidance. Good find.

Maybe there is something amiss in the current Editor.u file, but I have no knowledge about how to go about investigating that idea. It's interesting that the Log shows something about not finding "0" in Editor.u, and thus not being able to load a save (see my first post, above).

I hope someone has an idea about how to approach solving all the points discussed here.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Its Font0 specifically. But I don't know why the specific saves need that. That still hasn't been answered. Maybe the file Save141.usa could be helpful to someone if you posted the save file itself.

Fonts were always problematic I mean they changed the font designation within Unreal it used to be just a texture type back in the very old versions even. That broke some custom mod compatibility already. Fonts are delicate business within Unreal.

I suppose that 141 save file was saved using the older version? Something might have changed with the fonts with 469 that normally wouldn't break.

The problem with legacy might also be because it uses the hub system, it saves a special save that is kept outside of the normal saves that you see in the menu. This is actually how most fps games with hub system works, but with Unreal it was dropped due to networking issues and legacy is one of the few existing mods that used it. Its possible that legacy is even using an older hub save which conflicts with the current version you're running. As I said legacy is a bit of a unique mod.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo, I found the Save141.usa in the UT Save folder. One can't post a file here, I suppose for security reasons. Anyway, I don't know how one can open and read a .usa file. Also, maybe I could post the Save141.usa file on some image hosting website. I'm not sure how to do that, because it's a .usa file type, not an image. Those sites only host images, not?

Looks like I need some help here. Any suggestions?

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

I converted the Save141.usa file on the Internet using Google, here:

Save141.usa contains the following texts
upstreamPaths PointRegion bScriptInitialized OldLocation PrunedPaths VisNoReachPaths visitedWeight nextNavigationPoint
previousPath bestPathWeight ColLocation LightRadius LightSaturation
AmbientSound
InitialState
Instigator InventorySpot
NextAlarmObject NetUpdateFrequency MultiSkins bCollideWorld markedItem bAlwaysRelevant 2DLoftSIDE LatentFloat
RealPosition ReturnGroup
MoverEncroachType
PickupMessageClass TriggerToggle AmbientGlow
AnimSequence
RealRotation OpenedSound OldAnimRate
OpeningSound
TriggerActor bJustTeleported
HeadRegion FootRegion LightBrightness
SightCounter SelectionMesh BaseEyeHeight MinHitWall
OldOwnerLocation AvgPhysicsTime bCollideActors
bCanOpenDoors bCanDoSpecial bTriggerOnceOnly VoicePitch DesiredRotation CombatStyle
RangedProjectile
ViewRotation ClosedSound bPlayerOnly MoveAmbientSound MaxDesiredSpeed bIgnoreFriends HearingThreshold
ClosingSound PeripheralVision
RemoteRole
bCarriedItem
bOnlyTriggerable
bOnlyOwnerSee
bDifficulty3
SimInterpolate SkaarjWarrior
CollisionRadius TriggerActor2
bDifficulty2
SimOldRotYaw bBroadcast
TimerCounter
bDifficulty0
somemessage LeTriShotA
SavedTrigger PlayerStart SimOldRotPitch DisplayMessage AmmoAmount CollisionHeight MedWoodBox PrevKeyNum bDynamicLightMover AttitudeToPlayer ReTriggerDelay TriggerType PlayerPath
InitialBrightness SoundPitch bAnimFinished TriggerOpenTimed ShortMessages
bBlockActors bBlockPlayers OtherTriggerToggles bHateWhenTriggered
TriggerTurnsOn lechaingunA ChangeTime
MaxDesireability FireOffset
TranslatorEvent PlayerViewOffset AutoSwitchPriority NaliCarcass TriggerTime bEndOfPath bReducedHeight bTimerLoop SimOldRotRoll
ClientUpdate GameReplicationInfo endsuspense
LevelEnterText
NumPlayers
coresoundoff
SkaarjBerserker
RateModifier bInitiallyActive Translator
noise1time
Announcers coreintback AdjustedAim StandingCount SongSection
RespawnTime noise1loudness noise1spot ReducedDamageType
DamagePerSec
noise2spot ReceivedSecretChecksum VisibleGroups ServerMoveVersion ClientMovementVersion ServerMovementVersion LastPainSound EngineRevision
FlakAmmoLEDTex
bInitiallyOn FlakCannon MasterLEholder CriticalMessage CurrentPickup NewVersion
SearchLight
bloadingsave
bCanHaveMultipleCopies
OrderObject bReadyToAttack
NewMessage SpawnNotify
SelectedItem FaceAreaOffset PlayerReplicationInfo Teleporter OwnerLocation
StillStart bCurrentInGameScaling bCacheSetup CachedFonts CurrentInGameScalingFactor
MyDamageType NextAnnouncerSoundIndex SkyZoneInfo PlayerZone
TriggerAlarm TalkTexture SoundVolume
NetPriority PickupMessage ExplosionChain PickupSound PickupViewMesh LastSeeingPos LastSeenPos SoundRadius bFixedRotationDir MoveTarget Destination
DesiredSpeed OriginalNum
SmallWoodBox ZoneTerminalVelocity
bShowMessage ClassProximityType TriggerToggled
PlayerOwner bSpecialLit
ZoneGroundFriction bAnimNotify NextMutator bChairSlump
noise2time PlaySoundEffect DamageMutator BaseMutator
MaleOneCarcass OtherTriggerTurnsOff bJustLanded
LeRailRifle
NavigationPointList NumToCount bCoopStart
TexUPanSpeed Transition ProjectileSpeed AltProjectileSpeed bNoCheating ZoneGravity bJustFired ScoringType LastPlaySound
TransientSoundRadius MouseZeroTime
bJustAltFired
Acceleration
PlayerName shaketimer
DesiredFlashFog DesiredFlashScale
ZoneVelocity noise2loudness AnimMinRate
bGravityZone
AmbientBrightness FogDistance TimeSeconds bBegunPlay bInterpolating
VolumeRadius
ComputerName EngineVersion MinNetVersion boomtrigger DefaultGameType AmbientSound26 AmbientSound27
AlarmPoint28 ExplosionChain10
AlarmPoint27
AlarmPoint16
SkaarjWarrior17 SkaarjWarrior3 SkaarjWarrior2 SkaarjWarrior1
MedWoodBox3 MedWoodBox1 MedWoodBox2 SkaarjBerserker2 LePartclspin0 LeDeathTrigger0 Devilfish0
AlarmPoint70
AlarmPoint71
AlarmPoint72
PlayerStart3
PlayerStart4
PlayerStart5 SkaarjWarrior14
LeChaingunA1
LeChaingunA0 SkaarjWarrior16
ExplosionChain12 SkaarjWarrior12 ExplosionChain11
AlarmPoint35 TriggeredAmbientSound0 SkaarjWarrior7 SkaarjWarrior13 SkaarjWarrior11 SkaarjWarrior10
LeChaingunA2 ExplosionChain8
LeRailRifle0 LeTeleporter0
AlarmPoint23
AlarmPoint22
AlarmPoint21
AlarmPoint20
AlarmPoint19
AlarmPoint18
AlarmPoint17
AlarmPoint60
AlarmPoint61
AlarmPoint62
AlarmPoint63
AlarmPoint64
AlarmPoint65
AlarmPoint66
AlarmPoint67 AlarmPoint4 ExplosionChain7 ExplosionChain4 ExplosionChain6
AlarmPoint68 ExplosionChain5
AlarmPoint69 Teleporter3 MedWoodBox4 MaleOneCarcass0 Teleporter5 Teleporter4 InterpolationPoint6 InterpolationPoint5 AlarmPoint9 AlarmPoint8
AlarmPoint10
AlarmPoint34
AlarmPoint33
AlarmPoint32
AlarmPoint30
AlarmPoint29
AlarmPoint26
AlarmPoint25
AlarmPoint24 AmbientSound23 AmbientSound20 Translator3 Devilfish2 SmallWoodBox0 DeadChairMale0 PathNode140
NaliCarcass2
AmbientSound17 AmbientSound18 PathNode141
AlarmPoint11
AlarmPoint13 SkaarjWarrior0 ExplosionChain9 PathNode62 PathNode81 PathNode82 PathNode70 PathNode71 PathNode57 PathNode58 PathNode59 AlarmPoint3 AlarmPoint7 PathNode60
You see the first 11 KB above and the last 18 KB below. The remaining 2 MB (98%) of the file are not displayed.
Class=Botpack.TMale2 Name=TMale20
Weapon=Rifle1
SelectedItem=Translator0
Health=99
Inventory=Rifle1
Class=UnrealI.Rifle Name=Rifle1
AmmoType=RifleAmmo0
AutoSwitchPriority=12
Inventory=Translator0
Class=UnrealShare.Translator Name=Translator0
Inventory=Courtyard0
Class=UnrealI.RifleAmmo Name=RifleAmmo0
AmmoAmount=880
MaxAmmo=999
Inventory=FlakBox0
Class=KDungeon.Courtyard Name=Courtyard0
Inventory=RifleAmmo0
Class=UnrealI.FlakBox Name=FlakBox0
Inventory=SearchLight0
Class=UnrealI.SearchLight Name=SearchLight0
Inventory=FlakCannon0
Class=UnrealI.FlakCannon Name=FlakCannon0
AmmoType=FlakBox0
AutoSwitchPriority=7
Inventory=MasterLEholder0
Class=legacy.MasterLEholder Name=MasterLEholder0
mysave=1
myslot=1
Titans=2
killtotal=2
Score=1080
Inventory=Flare0
Class=UnrealShare.Flare Name=Flare0
NumCopies=1
Inventory=LeTriShotA0
Class=legacy.LeTriShotA Name=LeTriShotA0
AmmoAmount=25
Inventory=lefragA0
Class=legacy.lefragA Name=lefragA0
Show all readable texts in this file...
Show all bytes of this binary file...
Save141.usa is a RUN, UTX​, UASSET​, UNR​ or UMX​ file. You could rename the file extension from USA to RUN, UTX, UASSET, UNR or UMX and then doubleclick it (or click here to learn more about that file type). ⓘ
File info
File name: Save141.usa
File type: binary file
File size: 2 MB
File date: 11/10/2021, 11:58:08 AM
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I meant like zip it up, then you should be able to attach the file here, as attachment. If you put it in a new zip file.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Here it is, a 7z file of the Save141, hope this works as you specified. If not let me know:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Fred wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:04 pm Here it is, a 7z file of the Save141, hope this works as you specified. If not let me know:
thanks, it should be fine but in practice we need to wait for someone to load this/try on his end. I would have if I had right now a laptop in operation or something but as I indicated I can't now. Hopefuly someone will notice soon.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, Leo, keeping fingers crossed. I hope to get this problem fixed, and to get this Legacy game working.

Thanks, buddy

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Fred wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:03 pm OK, Leo, keeping fingers crossed. I hope to get this problem fixed, and to get this Legacy game working.

Thanks, buddy

Fred
I just downloaded the 7z file but it doesn't seem to have the save file and it is too small anyways for it to have it, 32 bytes is too small.

Don't know what you did but you didn't do it right it seems.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Here it is again, this time correct??
141.7z
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It contains Document.rtf, but that seems to be the string conversion you did. I meant the actual .usa file, not the document. The string conversion might be helpful to see some specific variables, but still.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Gosh, Leo, I may have a dense skull. Anyway, here is the actual .usa Save file:
Save141.7z
I'll get it right sooner or later.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

okay that looks correct. I hope the other people will download this as well, I mean i noticed the previous file has been downloaded multiple times already (it shows the counter). And that we'll get some concrete answers as to why it happened/happens.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”