For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Location of Unreal Tournament Saves

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Location of Unreal Tournament Saves

Post by Fred »

Hi All,

Recently, I played the entire map pack Deja Vu Gryphon Revisited installed on Unreal Tournament (UT) 99. It's updated by 469b patch. Also, I upgraded the game with the HD Texture Addon for Deja Vu Gryphon Revisited. I'm using D3D11.

The game worked well, except for two incidents. On those incidents, when I tried loading the saves, they wouldn't load. In both incidents, I checked the Log file which showed the game tried to load the My Level textures, and couldn't find them.

To progress the game, I reverted to loading prior saves, which worked both times, using the proper HD textures. I had to thus replay some game content that I had already played. After those two incidents, I finished the game without further problems. Further saves loaded the proper HD textures as they should have.

What I would like to know is whether it's possible to delete old saves in UT. The limited slots available for saves in the game means that one has to over write prior saves, sometimes many times. This practice seems like not a good idea. To me, It seems that this practice can cause corruption in the save files, not?

Anyway, is it possible to delete old saves in UT? I have no idea where the save files are located. I looked.

Thanks, Fred
medor
OldUnreal Member

Re: Location of Unreal Tournament Saves

Post by medor »

Before make new setting you can copy the entire folder "UnrealTournament" and put it rename it where you want .... you have 2 UT
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hi, Medor, I'll keep your idea of copying UT in mind, if I ever need 2 UTs. However, do you know where the UT Save files are located? I was hoping that someone would enlighten me about that question.

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

There should be a Save folder in your Unreal Tournament install where the savefiles are located. However, be aware that they are identified in the .ini files and one cannot exist without the other, essentially. So, void savefiles and you'll have slots described with mapname and date, but unable to be loaded coz you voided the savefile itself. Remove the entry from .ini and you'll have an unidentified savefile.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:52 pm There should be a Save folder in your Unreal Tournament install where the savefiles are located. However, be aware that they are identified in the .ini files and one cannot exist without the other, essentially. So, void savefiles and you'll have slots described with mapname and date, but unable to be loaded coz you voided the savefile itself. Remove the entry from .ini and you'll have an unidentified savefile.
You can still load them manually though. Either by renaming the usa to unr temporarily and placing it in Maps, or by using a command that internally unreal uses.

I believe it was open ?load=slotnumber

But I might have the syntax wrong as its been a while since I used it.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Leo & Victor,

Good to hear from you guys. I know you all know your stuff. It looks like messing with Save files in UT is something I should stay away from. From what you all say, messing with this can cause more issues than I'm capable of dealing with. I know some things, but I don't know hardly anything about Save files in UT. Looks like I can live with this limitation.

In the more modern games I have on my computer, the Save files are located in C:\Documents\My Games. You can go there and remove any and all Save files you don't want or need. One can thus have clean and lean Save files, which makes for fewer problems that cluttered and overwritten Save files can sometimes cause.

Time to get with the program.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Fred wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:17 pm Leo & Victor,

Good to hear from you guys. I know you all know your stuff. It looks like messing with Save files in UT is something I should stay away from. From what you all say, messing with this can cause more issues than I'm capable of dealing with. I know some things, but I don't know hardly anything about Save files in UT. Looks like I can live with this limitation.

In the more modern games I have on my computer, the Save files are located in C:\Documents\My Games. You can go there and remove any and all Save files you don't want or need. One can thus have clean and lean Save files, which makes for fewer problems that cluttered and overwritten Save files can sometimes cause.

Time to get with the program.

Fred
I don't really see that much of a problem except that if its not in the configuration file, the names of the savegames, you will be only able to load blanks either via the command I mentioned or if it appears in the plain unreal save game menu as untitled slots. Or you fill the strings in, but that is only complicated.
But that's not really what you wanted to know, you wanted to know if you can delete the saves. Nothing should get corrupted only there will be invalid entries, like you will see load game menu with list of saves but of course they won't load.

Long story short: If you copy them over to a fresh install you will not be able to see them in load menu but it is still possible to load them manually.
However since you are not doing that, you want to simply delete them, meaning you will see entries in the list but without them being possible to load since the actual saves are gone. But you can delete them still, or delete them and erase the entries in the ini as well to stop the confusion.

sorry if this got needlessly complex i got interrupted by a phone call.
The saves are simply where you installed your UT. Wherever it is there's the Saves directory like Delacroix already said.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, guys, I get it: Don't mess with the Save files in UT, like can be done in more modern games. The Save directory in my old and original UT installation shows only 10 save files (old computer). The Save directory in my recent UT installation (different computer), with the latest updates (469b patch, HD testures, and anything else I could find), shows 63 save files. There is a big dirrerence, it seems, in how saves are handled now, as was done previously.

I'll just leave it at that and make do.

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

No I don't think there is a difference. Just mods like oldskool allow for more save slots and slots specific to the pack, however the functionality was there and you could still save via command on a new slot if you liked. Its just oldskool turns it into interface, because otherwise only those very familiar with unreal functions are able to get around it.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”