For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

What is the Castle1 Dowload Over at Moddb Site?

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Fred
OldUnreal Member

What is the Castle1 Dowload Over at Moddb Site?

Post by Fred »

While I was downloading some HD textures for Unreal and for UT over at the Moddb website, I noticed a download for a file titled Castle1. I had no idea what that was, so I downloaded it. I unzipped the zip file and took a look at the contents.

I saw only many .dds files, images of textures, nothing else. There are no instructions included on how to install these files. I posted a question over at the Moddb website asking what this download does and how to install it. I have received no answer. Here is more information:

The file is located at the following website. Scroll down to the section titled HD Addons to see the file:

https://sites.google.com/view/unrealhdt ... d-textures

The information posted there is as follows:

"The Castle1 UTX was not included in the main HD pack. Although Castle1.utx shipped with Unreal, It was not used in the Unreal game, but it is used in a few custom maps. I recently made the textures HD. Also included is Castle1RyS which is based on the same textures. Both UTX and DDS versions are included in this pack."

Anyone know what this file does and how to install it?

Thanks,

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: What is the Castle1 Dowload Over at Moddb Site?

Post by Victor Delacroix »

You install it just as you install every other HD texture pack.

It's a Castle1/Castle1RyS.utx replacement for maps that use this.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hey, Victor, you're really on the ball, responding is such a timely manner. Good to see. That download is really big. Unzipped, it consists of 348 files totaling 1.64GB. What's confusing, only to me apparently, is that those 348 files consist of images, only (.dds files). I've not ever seen anything like that, not surprising for just a user, like me.

So, I just copy them to the Texture folder of Unreal Gold and UT and somehow images (pictures) get used automatically, as needed. Pure magic. Wow! I suppose I need to decide if I actually need or want to install these.

Any other comments?

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

WARNING: the dds files (that come in directories, directories must be in Textures folder) are specific sets of textures runnable ONLY under the DX11 renderer. All other renderers ignore their existence.

That means, you can potentially have just the low-res default texture packages as .utx files and the loose .dds files for the DX11 renderer.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, Victor, let's see whether I get it. I have DX11 renderer installed already (new build), and working. This means that if I install all 348 .dds files (there's not a single .utx among them), in the Unreal Gold and UT Textures folders, my system will make proper use of those .dds files. In other words, whenever a castle is displayed in-game, those .dds files will enhance the appearance of the castle, as intended. Is that correct?

I'm not clear on the meaning of the .dds directories must be in the Textures directories. Not just the .dds files should be in there?

Whew!

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Each texture package should have its folder equivalent. So if you want to replace Castle1.utx textures, there should be .dds files in Textures\Castle1 folder.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, Victor, I'll set it up the way you indicate. I didn't know that. I was tempted to just copy all the .dds files directly into each Texture folder, like I did all the other HD textures I downloaded recently. I ask these questions because I need to know stuff I don't know.

Thanks much,

Fred
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The package Castle1RyS has been originally renamed to preserve compatibility for UT, as that version of Castle1 has been cut short before release.
It was obviously used at one point in UT/Level Pack developement and Legend Entertainment shipped it with Return to Na Pali (UPak) when by accident a texture from this pack was used on a single map. Just to note, the original level pack had nothing to do with UPak apart from UPak recycling music and castle1. Just like crypt.utx in Unreal it suffered the fate of being cut, this same thing happened to UT while ShaneChurch (another level pack set) was used in the end, but was absent in UT beta due to the level pack being scrapped for good.

It was intended to be used in a RyS sequel that never came to be and I first released the package with my scorched castle map and also used it in the unreal psx rework. But its basically identical to the Gold/rtnp version.

The map that accidentaly used this package was CrashSite and it was the underside of that mine railway. Single generic texture from this pack, used by accident. Because of this mistake by Matthias Worch the whole package was released together too. If that didn't happen, we'd never have the full package because we didn't recover any betas with this package and unreal psx had a very low res version (with some extra textures that never got recovered full res).

The unreal psx package was called swamppsx.utx, because originally the set was called Swamp Castle.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”