For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Need Help Installing HD Textures

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Need Help Installing HD Textures

Post by Fred »

Good Day,

I'm trying to add the HD textures for Na Pali Haven (SkyTown): Redux, a single player map pack. It upgrades the map packs' custom textures to HD.
The map is launched by a .bat shortcut on the desktop. It's installed in UT99, for those not lfamiliar with this map.

The addon instructions are to "copy the folders in this addon to your Unreal Textures folder." That's all it says.
I need help, because I don't understand the instructions. Here is what the addon .zip file I downloaded and unzipped looks like, ready to install per the instructions:

Folder Here. HD- Texture- Addon- for- Na Pali-Haven-SkyTown-Redux
Folder Here. Textures
Folder Here. Hourlightedskaarjtex
Folder Here. lnfAdds
Folder Here. ReduxBonus
Folder Here. ReduxEnd
Folder Here. ReduxSpencer
Folder Here. SkyTownReduxx
Folder Here. XidiaMPack

That's the total in the download.

Textures is a sub folder, under the top folder (line) listed.
all the folder items listed under folder Textures are sub folders to Textures

My question is: what do I copy? There are 9 folders shown, with some sub folders not shown.

Do I copy the top folder to my Unreal Textures folder, which would include all the other folders, or what?

Do I copy each folder separately? Do I copy only the contents of the folders, that is, the files, or what?

I'm confused. Also, I have Unreal Gold installed and working.

Thanks much,

Fred

Edit: Some of the installation instructions over at Moddb are kind of brief, leaving them open to interpretation.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Re: Need Help Installing HD Textures

Post by Fred »

i finally decided to act on my own initiative. As specified by the instructions, I copied the downloaded Redux texture folders to the Unreal (I don't have Unreal, so copied to Unreal Gold) Textures folder. This instruction seemed odd to me, because the Redux game is installed in UT99, but instructions are to be followed, not?

I launched the Redux game, and I didn't see any HD textures. So, I removed the Redux textures from Unreal Gold, and I moved them to the UT99 Textures folder. I launched to game again, and this time i noticed HD textures, at least some of them seemed to be HD, maybe not all, but I'm not sure. It's sometime hard to tell.

Anyway, included in the Redux download is a Readme file. The Readme includes the following statement.:

"There is an issue with the renderer where loading a saved game results in the HD custom textures reverting back to low-res. Restarting the level does not have this problem. Currently there is no fix for this."

Well, I experienced this issue, when I loaded a previous save. Oh my, what now brown cow? I had forgotten about that issue statement. Oh, I finally recalled that I was supposed to restart the level. How do i do that? I didn't know what level i was on, much less knowing how to restart it.

I searched in the file structure on the hard drive, in the UT99 entries, but I couldn't find any Maps belonging to this game. Thus I'm stuck at this point and getting nowhere. I hate it when these things happen. I suppose one can call these type issues "bugs."

In addition, the issue also disabled my weapons. The one had equipped stopped working, and I couldn't load (equip) a different one, like get a previous one. As far as I'm concerned, this issue makes the game unplayable. Now what?

Thanks for listening.

Fred

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”