For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UT 369b Crashes on level

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

prime
OldUnreal Member

UT 369b Crashes on level

Post by prime »

Hi all,

Whenerver I play MH-DarkWhite on Rubie's monster hunt with NW3 it crashes without fail.

My UT is the original GOTY edition (from CD), then upgraded with the latest 3.69b update. Pretty much the only thing I've chenged is copied my User.ini from my old install and added my favorites to UnrealTournament.ini.

I've uploaded my log file to http://penguin.stats.warwick.ac.uk/~stsxab/UT/UnrealTournament-2021-05-13.log

When it crahes the game freezes and it crashes back to the desktop.

Machine is Windows 10 20H2, AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, 32GB RAM, and Nvidia GTX 1660 Super.

I'm running with the XOpenGL driver.

Any clues as to what the problem is?

Cheers.

Phill.
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Re: UT 369b Crashes on level

Post by Eternity »

The log is stripped in the end, we can not see at what point does it crash and what might be the reason that causes the crash.
But i would suppose, it is highly likely this problem is related to that particular server, and not to v469b, because in other v469b servers both of these maps - MH-DarkWhite and MH-Backhome2007, and the NWIII Modifiers work with no any issues. Besides, the log has a lot of script warning spam, which indicates there's something not alright with the mods used on the server side.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Eternity wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:45 pm The log is stripped in the end, we can not see at what point does it crash and what might be the reason that causes the crash.
But i would suppose, it is highly likely this problem is related to that particular server, and not to v469b, because in other v469b servers both of these maps - MH-DarkWhite and MH-Backhome2007, and the NWIII Modifiers work with no any issues. Besides, the log has a lot of script warning spam, which indicates there's something not alright with the mods used on the server side.

There are no modified mods loaded on my servers , strange = only This player so far I know did have this issues , I did tested this and several other maps with 436,451, 469a and b versions with DX9,DX11,opengl and xopengl and did not found something weird , only on some particular maps that use stuff that has undefined scripts we get scriptwarnings (this is an old pain that exist from start in 1998 )....
If we would have to remove all maps that does report scriptwarnings then we better stop every server that is online, I find this bluntly saying that it is a server problem , not that I feel me wrong about your reply , but like this it's easy talk!
Nowadays players like it to be fancy on a server , but everyone forget this game engine was not made to load all this stuff and it will never run without a crash for whatever reason it does crash.

Greets,

Rubie
I have no signature :)
prime
OldUnreal Member

Post by prime »

Eternity wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:45 pm The log is stripped in the end, we can not see at what point does it crash and what might be the reason that causes the crash.
That's all there is, I guess the file doesn't get flushed to disk when UT crashes. UT locks hard (freezes) and dumps me back to the desktop.
Odd thing is that most of the other maps on that server work fine and it pretty much always crashes in the same place :( But It's not the server crashing because if I restart UT and go back into the game it continues running, from the place I crashed out, which seems to sugges to me that it's not the server.

It does seem to be when I have a couple of the cybot vortexes on screen.

Cheers.

Phill.
prime
OldUnreal Member

Post by prime »

Ahhh, this might cast some light on it, decided to check the windows logs......
Faulting application name: UnrealTournament.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60439a34
Faulting module name: fmod.dll, version: 0.2.1.8, time stamp: 0x5ff2f80a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000b0ee9
Faulting process ID: 0x4af0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d74b2157aac353
Faulting application path: G:\games\UnrealTournamentOnline\System\UnrealTournament.exe
Faulting module path: G:\games\UnrealTournamentOnline\System\fmod.dll
Report ID: d4d33614-594d-4b23-a2b0-b126746b4f0c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
So looks like the fault may be in fmod.dll then.

Cheers.

Phill.
prime
OldUnreal Member

Post by prime »

Hi all,

I think I solved the problem, switched audio driver to Open AL and the crash no longer happens on MH-DarkWhite, will try MH-ProxyMoon later which was the other level that was regually crashing.

Cheers.

Phill.
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

We have inspected this issue...
Results:
1. It is unrelated to any specific server setup.
2. It is unrelated to that specific mod of the map (crash also happens in the original "MH-DarkWhite" map version).

This crash happens only if client uses the Cluster audio driver.
This crash happens only in a few maps.
It has random nature, does not happen in any exact place of the map, also it may happen and may not.
Exact cases when it definitely happens if unclear yet.
Every time when it happened - there were too much of sounds being played, otherwise it didn't happen.
Clients notice that crash happens with higher probability if 'NWCybotLauncherVIII.Cybot' subclasses are being used, e.g. 'CybDrone' or 'CybVortex'.

It might be related to this issue: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/139

Info about this crash from the windows log:
Event name: APPCRASH
Application name: UnrealTournament.exe
Application version: 0.0.0.0
Application time stamp: 60439a34
Unit name: fmod.dll
Unit version: 0.2.1.8
Unit time stamp: 5ff2f80a
Exception code: c0000005
Exception offset: 000b0ee9
OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

---

Some info related to that server... (it has nothing to do with the Cluster audio driver issue)
It uses the mod "TheOneModifierV1.u" which is a third-party addon to NWIII ("NWModifiersVIII") mod.
The script warning spam in log on the client side is caused by the bug in the "TheOneModifierV1.TheOne.Tick()" function in the line #86, where "MSphere" variable is accessed on the client side.

"MSphere.LightHue = Rand(255);"

Since that variable is not a replicated variable it always has 'None' value on the client side.
Developer of this mod should add the 'None' check prior to accessing that variable (same way as it is done in the original mod in 'NWModifiersVIII.MHPickups' superclass "Tick()" function) and to recompile the package.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”