For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Setting up an HD Coop server in Unreal Gold

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Chewbatrij
OldUnreal Member

Setting up an HD Coop server in Unreal Gold

Post by Chewbatrij »

Hey guys,

I have used the Search field and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to hosting servers. I'm not even quite sure how to port forward. Luckily my group is going to play on the same network, so that won't even be necessary.  ;)  Connecting works fine so far.

Anyway, I'm trying to set up a dedicated jCoopZ1 server with the GOG version of Unreal Gold and the [url=http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html]227i patch[/url] installed.
But I'd like for the game to look as shiny as possible for all of us. I installed the [url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Downloads/Textures/LowEnd/LowEnd.htm]S3TC textures[/url] for everybody and they show up fine ingame.
But for whatever reason [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/high-resolution-unreal-skins]HD skins[/url] and [url=http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal/downloads/unreal-hd-weapons]HD weapons[/url] only show up in Singleplayer, but not whenever I create a server.
Everyone has the same files, so the mutators shouldn't even have to download at all.

I added both mutators to my ServerPackages inside the Unreal.ini, but still no luck.  :-/

Could anyone help a noob out? :-[
I'd appreciate it very very much![reason]Clarification[/reason]
Last edited by Chewbatrij on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: Setting up an HD Coop server in Unreal Gold

Post by Kajgue »

Hey welcome to OldUnreal :)

Are you using HDWeapons in conjunction with HDSkins? HDSkins have their own high res weapon skins (I think), and I remember reading before that using Shivaxis HD weapons in conjunction with Lightning Hunters HDskins sortof results in confusion when the game wants to use which set of skins for the same items.

If that's not the cause, I hope somebody else can help out D: (there are alot of guys on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to this).

Hope that works out anyway, good luck :)
Last edited by Kajgue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Chewbatrij
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chewbatrij »

Thank you!

Well, if I can't have both, I think my priority would be to get the weapons working before the HD skins.
Because for me personally the effect is more visible during gameplay.

I really enjoy the enhanced feedback, Shivaxis' guns provide. Especially when the room is filled with smoke after heavy Eightball bombardment.  :D

So yeah, if anybody could help me out here, I'd be super-grateful!
Last edited by Chewbatrij on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Hit me up and you can download my server via FTP. It's a different setup than you are wanting to use (I use JGrass and a ton of custom content) but it would give you a template for what a running server should look like. It's currently running a bunch of Christmas stuff but it's easy to change things out.

It's not precisely what you want but it would give you a server that works *right now* and allow you to adjust as you feel like it.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

I tried it and it works fine for me.

I addad all packages to the serverpackage list ( Jcoop and HDWeps )
Then I selected the gamemode Jcoop, added the HDWeps mutator and started the dedicated server.

When I join the server as client I can see the HDweps and their effects.

Last edited by Krull0r on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbatrij
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chewbatrij »

[smiley=huh.gif] Wut? Then what in the world am I doing wrong?

Code: Select all

ServerPackages=Female1skins
ServerPackages=Female2skins
ServerPackages=Male1skins
ServerPackages=Male2skins
ServerPackages=Male3skins
ServerPackages=SkTrooperskins
ServerPackages=jCoopZ1
ServerPackages=UnrealIntegrity
ServerPackages=HDWeps
ServerPackages=HDSkinsMut
This is part of my Unreal.ini and whenever I start a dedicated server and join in as a player afterwards it doesn't work.
Sure, if I start a regular multiplayer game, where I am playing while hosting simultaneously, it shows up fine on my machine. Not the case with another player though.

Am I using the correct configuration file?

I also tried adding

Code: Select all

Vortex2.unr?Game=JCoopZ1.JCoopZGame?Difficulty=3?Mutator=HDSkinsMut,HDWeps -server
to my Unreal desktop shortcut.
The part that works is the difficulty setting. Other than that, no mutators show up ingame.

Oh, and I'm on Windows 10 if it's somehow significant.

EDIT:
Okay, I'm trying to isolate the problem now.

HDWeapons mutator seems to work on my machine, when I start my dedicated server through the ingame menu.

HDSkins alone gives me the following error message:

EDIT2:

IT FINALLY WORKS!

I think, my problem was that I was trying to do too many things at once.

I started the server via ingame-menus instead of the desktop shortcut. Which reset my difficulty to normal, but at least the weapons are working in Multiplayer now!

Now I just have to find a way to set the game to hard (which doesn't seem to work via ingame menu, so I probably will have to find a console command to do that every time I start up the server).

Should I worry about the game crashing with the Razorjack? Because I shot a couple of enemies in NyLeve with it and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so far.

EDIT3:
The game is too easy now.
I need to get HD weapons working in combination with Difficulty 3, which I can't seem to access through the menus. At least it doesn't feel like it.
There has to be a way to get the difficulty from my desktop shortcut with the active mutator from ingame menu working together...
Last edited by Chewbatrij on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

what difficulty is shown in your server log on startup?

you can change the difficulty that way ingame:

switchcooplevel Vortex2?Difficulty=3
Chewbatrij
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chewbatrij »

It stays at

JCoopZ: Difficulty 1

independently of what I select in the menu.

And entering

switchcooplevel Vortex2?Difficulty=3

doesn't seem to change the difficulty level.
Should the map get reloaded? Because it doesn't, even though I'm admin and can summon weapons etc.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

Okay I see I never used jcoop before:)

jCoop is a own gametype you have to set an admin password for this gametype.

Type preferences in your ingame console, than the advanced option will open.

Go to GameTypes / Advanced Coop Play Jcoopz1 / Game Control

There you can set up a game password and in PrimaryAdmin you can set a admin password.
When this is done start the server.

Join the server as client and type Adminlogin adminpassword

This will activate the admin control and you can switch between the levels and change the difficulty with

switchcooplevel map?difficulty=0 - 5
Chewbatrij
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chewbatrij »

YES!

I didn't set up an admin password expecting to have admin access without having to enter one ingame.
But I guess, I could only spawn weapons instead of having all admin privileges or something.

Game password seems to set up a server password instead of an admin one.

Instead I had to set up an admin password in here:

After getting admin privileges ingame, the command

switchcooplevel NyLeve?Difficulty=5

worked like a charm!  ;D

Thank you so much, Krull0r and gopostal!
Now I can finally play the game in coop as intended!
Last edited by Chewbatrij on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

If you ever want to copy my server for maps, setup, etc. just catch me in my TS and I'm happy to work out the FTP issues we are having or answer anything you might need. The time difference is a pain, I know but let me know a GMT time and I'll try to be there if I'm not working.

Glad to see a new server admin on board.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Chewbatrij
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chewbatrij »

Thank you kindly!
Everything works now.
We'll be recording a coop LP. As soon as it's online, I'll post the link in here.
It's going to be in german though. :P

One thing I just found out was that JCoopZ1 is missing from the Advanced Options Gametypes menu as long as you have the game set to another language.

My Unreal.ini was set to
language=det
since again, I'm playing the game in german.

But this menu only appeared when I set the language to its original
language=eng

With the german language setting it only showed the default game types that came with the game itself.
Weird, but at least it does explain why I couldn't find the options I was reading about in other tutorials.

Maybe this information might help somebody out, who is having the same problem as I did.

EDIT:
HERE's the first part. It's all in german though.

I couldn't have done it without you!
Last edited by Chewbatrij on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”