For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: [RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

Post by Hyper »

I'm glad this project is coming true and it looks great, but I have a major problem:

It does not work online and even offline it is disabled by default.
First of all, I already stated in several places that there is no online support with the official release.  However, Bleeder and Shivaxi have created a file that is supposed to fix this, but I have not tested it yet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu1dvki7uj17g ... FIX.u?dl=1

Second, I am going to need way more details about why it is not working for you offline.  What do you mean it is disabled by default?  Did you add the mutator?  Did you enable S3TC textures?  Did you follow all instructions in the readme file?  Are there any error messages?  Help me out here rather than scaring everybody with huge font and making them believe this is some terrible release.  All my beta testers found no problems offline.  You really need to take your time and look things over before you smear these massive warnings on the forums...
When I add the mutator manually every single time it works fine. New game does not add it on the classic menu system I currently use. So, yes, the mutator works but my "problem" is that it is a mutator with all limitations of it. In comparison: The S3TC Highres texures of the Unreal ReTexturing projects are enabled in any circumstance. I know, by the nature of Unreal you can't just replace the textures in UnrealI.u and UnrealShare.u without major issues but that is what is needed to get this project useful. So, I still hope that this will be done and that it gets integrated in Unreal 227j for example. Only then it will be enabled always without limited hacks like mutators or TexMod.

What is needed is a set-it-once-and-forget-it solution and a mutator will not bring that. Believe me, I love this project and I admire your work. But I know like no other that if something is not easy to use and working by default it will have hardly any practical users.
Last edited by Hyper on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

I'm glad this project is coming true and it looks great, but I have a major problem:

It does not work online and even offline it is disabled by default.
First of all, I already stated in several places that there is no online support with the official release.  However, Bleeder and Shivaxi have created a file that is supposed to fix this, but I have not tested it yet:

Second, I am going to need way more details about why it is not working for you offline.  What do you mean it is disabled by default?  Did you add the mutator?  Did you enable S3TC textures?  Did you follow all instructions in the readme file?  Are there any error messages?  Help me out here rather than scaring everybody with huge font and making them believe this is some terrible release.  All my beta testers found no problems offline.  You really need to take your time and look things over before you smear these massive warnings on the forums...
When I add the mutator manually every single time it works fine. New game does not add it on the classic menu system I currently use. So, yes, the mutator works but my "problem" is that it is a mutator with all limitations of it. In comparison: The S3TC Highres texures of the Unreal ReTexturing projects are enabled in any circumstance. I know, by the nature of Unreal you can't just replace the textures in UnrealI.u and UnrealShare.u without major issues but that is what is needed to get this project useful. So, I still hope that this will be done and that it gets integrated in Unreal 227j for example. Only then it will be enabled always without limited hacks like mutators or TexMod.

What is needed is a set-it-once-and-forget-it solution and a mutator will not bring that. Believe me, I love this project and I admire your work. But I know like no other that if something is not easy to use and working by default it will have hardly any practical users.
Seriously?  That is your complaint?  How difficult is it to add a mutator one time and check the box "always use this mutator configuration"?  I'm sorry for my rudeness here, but about 99% of ALL THE COMMENTS I received agreed that a mutator was a better method than replacing system files.  It was on purpose that I did not include UnrealShare or Unreali replacements (which would have been easier to do).  This mod contains a very convenient mutator that works for both UT99 and 227.  If I replaced system files, there would have to be separate releases.  Also, replacing system files would mess up future releases of the OldUnreal patches, due to the fact that 227 modifies/updates those very same system files.  That means this project would have to be re-released every time there was a new OldUnreal patch, which would guarantee compatibility issues in the future - especially if I disappear from the mod scene (which is very probable).

I can't believe your complaint is about having to add a mutator, when everyone else complained about DieHard's textures replacing system files (which breaks UnrealED as a consequence).  Normally I would not be annoyed over such a thing, except for the fact that you blasted this release in huge CAPS, making it seem half-assed, despite all the work that went in to the skinning, coding, and playtesting.  Heck, all the coding was done to avoid replacing system files in order to appease the fans.  :(

As for online support, I am going to leave it to the community, because I just don't have the patience or desire to test it out myself.  However, if the community agrees upon a certain online solution and fix, I will "officially" endorse it on the forums and the Moddb page.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

B of A
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

If the documentation I'm reading about spawnnotify is correct, this should work online with any further modification. MultiSkins, Mesh, Skin, Texture, etc are all replicated, and non default values would make it to the client via replication.

The only way this wouldn't be working is if SpawnNotify isn't actually being called server side. It also should probably not be called client side at all.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Looks great :D

By the way, most of those objects do not appear to have high-res skins. Is the mutator enabled for that screenshot?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

They seem to have the high res skins its just the rendering he's using I think or config.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

They seem to have the high res skins its just the rendering he's using I think or config.
Must be. They appear to be converted to 256 colors. dustinechoes849, what drivers are you using?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Seriously?  That is your complaint?
[...]
Yes, that was my complaint. But it is fine. it is your project and I read that your choices are well-thought over and therefore I respect them. You can't please everyone.
Last edited by Hyper on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Yes, that was my complaint. But it is fine. it is your project and I read that your choices are well-thought over and therefore I respect them. You can't please everyone.
Sorry for my somewhat rude posts.

A quick tip however, if you open Unreal.ini and change "LocalMap=Unreal.unr" to this:

LocalMap=unreal.unr?Mutator=HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut

It will enable the mutator automatically for the flyby intro, as well as any map you open by going to the console. That way, if you want to play a custom map, you can just simply open the console during the flyby, and type "open mapname". The mutator will be enabled.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Must be.  They appear to be converted to 256 colors.  dustinechoes849, what drivers are you using?
tried opengl, d3d9, and d3d8, all looked like that.
227i with almost untouched config
modern nvidia gpu, 1280x1024 monitor

Noticed it didn't look as good as the mod screenshots.
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Must be.  They appear to be converted to 256 colors.  dustinechoes849, what drivers are you using?
tried opengl, d3d9, and d3d8, all looked like that.
227i with almost untouched config
modern nvidia gpu, 1280x1024 monitor

Noticed it didn't look as good as the mod screenshots.
Can you post your Unreal.ini file? If you can't upload it somewhere, then I at least need all the settings under "[WinDrv.WindowsClient]", as well as everything under "[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]"

Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Works well for me! Tweaked out .ini, extreme end textures and it looks sweet! Thank you!
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I understand your point Hyper and I see things your way too. The problem is that LH is a fantastic textural artist but not really a coder. The way the mod is made isn't how I would do things and I'm currently in the process of rewriting it (with LH's permission).

I moved away from spawnnotify and instead split the textural replacements into two sections:
PostBeginPlay- for all the textures that will only be replaced once and don't need to be revisited. Things like trees, decorations, etc that remain static throughout the map's life.
Timer- All the actors that may come in and out of existence as the map is played. Gibs, projectiles, etc. are examples.

Also I'm adding the ability to turn off sections of the replacements if it causes lag. You'll be able to decide if you want to replace the gib textures or not, projectile textures or not, things like that that would cause lag pockets by having to replace a bunch in a really short time.

The upside to all this is that you'll have a package that can be placed on a server and everyone can enjoy it. Well, once the download the 500MB redirect package lol but that's just unavoidable and it's worth it with the final result.

I'll try to have this done by Christmas but I'm not doing the best lately. I get one or two days a week that I feel good enough to work on this so it's slow going but it is something I'm committed to doing for LH.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Thanks for the reply Gopostal; I do appreciate your continuing work.  However, Hyper is actually on a different page than us.  He mentioned online support, but that was not the focal point of his post, nor was it what irked me.  He wanted us to release this pack without a mutator at all, and instead replace system files (UnrealShare and UnrealI.u).  According to him, the mutator was the wrong solution and too difficult to use, even after all the coding we (mostly Yrex) did to create an extremely simple and easy-to-use mutator.  I was annoyed, because we did all that coding just to make the fans happy!  I heard no comments from anyone during the entire 9-month long process in which people preferred replacing system files over a mutator...  If I had heard such comments, I would have re-considered how to do the project.  Anyway, I will drop this subject now, because everyone else seems happy so far with the choice that was made.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Well, I made several attempts to propose the idea to get this integrated into future Unreal 227 builds and with that I meant replacing the low-res stock textures with these highres ones.

For now I changed my Unreal.ini to add the mutator to Unreal.unr and it works for offline use. But in reality, I only play online. Online a mutator will probably never work because allowing client-side mutators would be a big invitation to cheaters to create client-side mutators like radars.

Therefore I considered an update to the Unreal core files as only real viable solution. But again, that is just my opinion.
Last edited by Hyper on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Well, I made several attempts to propose the idea to get this integrated into future Unreal 227 builds and with that I meant replacing the low-res stock textures with these highres ones.
The problem I can see with that is the filesize increasing to over 500MB for a patch.  That might put some people off.  Also, the high-res skins would have to be mandatory, otherwise it would cause package mismatch errors for the people who disabled the skins versus the people who enabled them (different filesizes).  I don't know if that can be fixed with 227 via coding or not, but I don't think everyone would be happy with mandatory high-res skins (some systems might even struggle with them).
For now I changed my Unreal.ini to add the mutator to Unreal.unr and it works for offline use. But in reality, I only play online. Online a mutator will probably never work because allowing client-side mutators would be a big invitation to cheaters to create client-side mutators like radars.
Well, that is an entirely different story - because I never geared this pack toward online use anyway (like most of my projects).  I only got annoyed at you because you made it seem as if I failed with this release both offline and online, when this project was never meant for online use.  It was kind of an insult, seeing as how I spent so much time preparing this release for people to enjoy in SinglePlayer while allowing them to still play online without swapping files.

Also, I understand that a mutator might create new doors for cheaters, but wouldn't high-res skins on a server create an unrealistic demand for people who want to join?  They would have to download 500MB of skins from the server.  If Gopostal finds a solution to this, then that would be great - but I'm not even sure this pack will ever be suitable for online use!
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Don't get your feelings hurt brother. Anything you make for this game has to be done with the understanding that you did it because it was fun for you to make. Never expect anything will ever get used and that there will always be criticism of your work. It's just always that way. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. It doesn't mean the community is full of dicks, it just means that it's rare for someone to be anywhere near as invested as you are with what you are doing.

Also people have a specific set of needs and they filter everything through those needs. I understand Hyper's line of questions because I too have almost no interest in offline usage of anything. It all goes on my server and anytime I want to play I just hop on there and get my fill. If this wonderful texture pack never works online then it's usefulness to me drops significantly. Doesn't mean your work isn't stellar (it certainly is) it just means it isn't a tool that fits into my toolbox.

And let's not get things incredibly twisted up concerning cheating and this mod. It's not any more or less secure than anything else running as a server mutator. You can run this with no added risk than you already have. Personally I think altering existing system files is a terrible idea, this is tailor made for use as a standard texture swap mod. It just happens to be really big.

This is for sure going to be running on my server by New Years.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Don't get your feelings hurt brother. Anything you make for this game has to be done with the understanding that you did it because it was fun for you to make. Never expect anything will ever get used and that there will always be criticism of your work.
Constructive criticism I don't mind.  It is only when someone bashes something without any suggestions that I dislike.  Hyper's first post fits in this category.  If he had simply said something like, "Would it be possible for you to release an online version with replacement system files?", then I would have answered very respectfully.  Heck, I would even be considering it right now as we speak.  I have fulfilled many such requests in the past.  It was only his huge font and non-respectful manner of degrading the release that got me going.  But anyway, I forgive him, and apologize for any rudeness on my own behalf.

In general, I think I have proved that I take constructive criticism very well.  I don't think there was a single request in this thread that I did not pay attention to.  I did dozens of changes to the skins to make sure everyone was happy.  The entire mutator was coded in order to keep people happy (and I have to thank Yrex and everyone else for allowing this to be possible).   I actually would have just replaced system files if I were only making this for myself!

All I ask is that people make requests respectfully.  That is all.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw, it's a myth that a package will always cause mismatches. 227i has that removed already, but for classic versions there is something called package conform and any mod can use it, you just need to use it carefully. It will make the package compatible like happens with official patches etc.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Got it working on my PC! :D
(pretty sure)

4k version of screenshot:
https://mega.nz/#!31EjERxJ!Aa2KV2Yt3ygE ... WZDkulAtiw
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

(pretty sure)

Nice! Thanks for the screenshot.

What fixed it? I would really like to know in case someone else has problems. I can mention the solution on the Moddb page.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Messaged you LH about this but I'll add it here also: I'm pretty close to done with the online version of this mod. I'm at the server testing point so I'll be doing that Wednesday. If that goes as I think it will, I'll post it up to LH to test/release/change as he sees fit.

I didn't use spawnnotify for any of the checks. Instead I went with a first-pass then timer periodically looks for any current needed changes. Overall it's fast enough because I flag every actor that gets checked so it won't be rechecked. This makes the first pass check slow but after that each check runs much faster.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

(pretty sure)

Nice!  Thanks for the screenshot. 

What fixed it?  I would really like to know in case someone else has problems.  I can mention the solution on the Moddb page.
I...I don't know. It just randomly started working.

edit: btw, you should totally add the screenshot to the mod screenshots in the post :D
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Messaged you LH about this but I'll add it here also: I'm pretty close to done with the online version of this mod. I'm at the server testing point so I'll be doing that Wednesday. If that goes as I think it will, I'll post it up to LH to test/release/change as he sees fit.

I didn't use spawnnotify for any of the checks. Instead I went with a first-pass then timer periodically looks for any current needed changes. Overall it's fast enough because I flag every actor that gets checked so it won't be rechecked. This makes the first pass check slow but after that each check runs much faster.
Thank you for all your hard work!  Although I don't play online, I know there are a lot of people who will appreciate your work with a stable online version.  Looking forward to testing it. :)

I...I don't know. It just randomly started working.

edit: btw, you should totally add the screenshot to the mod screenshots in the post :D
Done.   ;)
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Well, I have to say that with these excellent skins, DieHard's HD textures and Shivaxi's HD weapons, Unreal is now all tarted up!

No big deal getting things working. I used the oldunreal UI to start a new game, enabled the mutator...done and dusted. Easy.

Again, it looks really sweet. Great work on the skins LH...much appreciated. I'll put up some screenshots soon.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”