For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Enhanced Monster Skins

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Re: Enhanced Monster Skins

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

The Skaarj are pretty good so far, just i see a disturbing lack of nippular appendages! What were you thinking, Unreal can't survive another nipple famine like we had in 2002! :P
Never fear! I can do a special "Nipple-friendly" release, complete with lots of nipples. Heck, even the Flies and Tentacles will have nipples in this version!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

I never realized just how similar the Skaarj Assassin and Skaarj Lord skins were until now.  It only took me 20 minutes to create the Skaarj Lord skin based on the Skaarj Assassin skin.  Mostly recoloring, and only a few different parts (mostly on the back).

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SkaarjLord.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

[quote]UT99 is my engine of choice, so I will create all the skins for UT99 first before making them work in 227.  I may need help with 227 later, but for now, I just want to finish all the skins.[/quote]
UT99 and U226 supporting DXT1. DXT1 may have one invisible color like masked textures. DXT1 can create through Paint.NET, then import the resulting dds-file into utx by means of U227 editor.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

UT99 is my engine of choice, so I will create all the skins for UT99 first before making them work in 227.  I may need help with 227 later, but for now, I just want to finish all the skins.
UT99 and U226 supporting DXT1. DXT1 may have one invisible color like masked textures. DXT1 can create through Paint.NET, then import the resulting dds-file into utx by means of U227 editor.
The question is, how can I edit UT99's UnrealShare.u and UnrealI.u packages using the 227 editor? The monster skins are contained in these packages.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

The question is, how can I edit UT99's UnrealShare and UnrealI packages using the 227 editor?
Nohow. It is necessary to create a separate packet for textures.
Last edited by sn260591 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

The question is, how can I edit UT99's UnrealShare and UnrealI packages using the 227 editor?
Nohow. It is necessary to create a separate packet for textures.
But then I have to edit ALL ScriptedPawns to point to the new textures. That won't work. The skins have to be replaced in UnrealShare.u and UnrealI.u
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Maybe create a mutator that replaces the textures?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I've made a texture merger that will merge new textures into existing packages, but the tool doesn't work for UT99, only U1/227. I don't actually know why. It just arbitrarily fails where U1 just works normally.

Obviously, it breaks any anticheat and you will get autokicked for modified packages.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Is there a reason why Ravens GUI is no use here ?
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/User:Rave ... DMerge_DXT
Higor made UCC2
eGo made UCC helper.

Between all these massive brains can we not have a UCC tool that does all we need ?
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Obviously, it breaks any anticheat and you will get autokicked for modified packages.
This is actually something I don't care about all that much, since I plan to include a batch file that swaps the original UnrealShare.u and UnrealI files with the new ones.  People should only use this pack in SP mode, and use the original files for multiplayer to prevent package mismatches.   I can't think of a better way to do it.  However, I guess your merger doesn't work in UT99 anyway, eh?  Is there any other way I can get masked textures in the game using 24-bit BMP files?
Is there a reason why Ravens GUI is no use here ?
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/User:Rave ... DMerge_DXT
Higor made UCC2
eGo made UCC helper.

Between all these massive brains can we not have a UCC tool that does all we need ?
So, can I use this program to import DXT files in to UnrealShare.u, UnrealI.u, etc?  I might need someone to explain how it works. I've never used mergers before in UT for textures.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

I've made a texture merger that will merge new textures into existing packages, but the tool doesn't work for UT99, only U1/227. I don't actually know why. It just arbitrarily fails where U1 just works normally.
At least my way is working.
Example: [url]http://www.mediafire.com/download/4j5740sev4y6uk8/at_map.zip[/url]
NOTE: UseS3TC must be set to true. Also, this package may do ut99 editor unstable but works fine in the game.
Last edited by sn260591 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

whoa, I never even heard of "ucc mergedxt", I thought Epic just did some conform magic on the UT99 GOTY S3TC textures

I guess I reinvented it when I made the one for U1..

I'll have to find out what it does.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

OK, so epic's version takes two packages and merges them into a new one. The tool I made takes textures externally, processes them as if you imported them into unrealed(where it breaks in UT99) and replaces the textures in the src package with them.

That's why epics works and mine doesn't, just a totally different approach. That said, it does tell me something interesting about how packages really work...
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Maybe create a mutator that replaces the textures?
I don't have enough knowledge for this.  I want to focus on skinning, rather than creating a mutator.  If someone else wants to whip up a mutator that does this, it might be a good idea to avoid package mismatches (and it would allow me to focus on skinning, since I am not very good at scripting).

I'm still not sure how Raven's texture merger works.  How can I merge the textures in to UnrealShare.u, etc.? I'm guessing I first have to convert my files to DXT.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Ah, poo I wasn't thinking about them being embedded.
That would require a mutator or a tweaked int with a preloader .u file.

At least Casey has something new to digest.
It does not surprise me that the merge command is not well known in the Unreal or UT scene.
Many wheels have been reinvented over the years :D

I have only prepared DXT/DDS files in UEd2.1 and 3, and with the GIMP plugin.
Merging them is something I have not yet tried, as I also learned about it late.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Is anyone interested in working on some ehanced/high res skins for some of the smaller objects in Unreal, like the gibs?  I plan to do all of the Unreal monsters, as well as the beta skins found in RTNP:UE, but it would be nice to release a completed pack that pretty much has ALL of the skins updated.  There are just so many smaller objects that need to be worked on, and it is kind of overwhelming for me to do them all.  Some of them, including all the trees, plants, barrels, and crates, have already been done by ahaigh.  What I really need is someone who would like to work on the effects and smaller objets, and possibly the Unreal weapons and Ammo (some of the pickups have already been done by ahaigh as well).

Here is what ahaigh has done:
https://www.mediafire.com/?b4e2rie6gw582

Even if someone offers to complete a few of just the smallest objects, it would help me out.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Here is a first version of the Skaarj Trooper skin. I still have to fix those stupid hands though. Argh... It almost takes as long to complete those hands as it does the rest of the entire skin.

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SKTrooper.jpg
[/img]

Original:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SKTrooperOld.jpg[/img]
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

*sigh*. Here is the Skaarj Trooper with fixed hands. Only took me 4 hours this time... ::)

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SkaarjTHands.jpg[/img]
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

If someone else wants to whip up a mutator that does this, it might be a good idea to avoid package mismatches (and it would allow me to focus on skinning, since I am not very good at scripting).
I already have a working prototype of a mutator, it is possible to try to use it.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Just out of curiosity how will you make it work sn? Are you going to use SpawnNotify?
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

I am going to implement it as follows:

Code: Select all

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant)
{
      if (Other.IsA('IceSkaarj'))
            IceSkaarj(Other).Skin = texture(DynamicLoadObject("HDSkins_tex.IceSkaarjHD", Class'Texture'));

else if (Other.IsA('Pupae'))
            Pupae(Other).MultiSkins[1] = texture(DynamicLoadObject("HDSkins_tex.PupaeHD", Class'Texture'));

else if (Other.IsA('Krall'))
            Krall(Other).Skin = texture(DynamicLoadObject("HDSkins_tex.KrallHD", Class'Texture'));

return true;
}
Last edited by sn260591 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

{
            IceSkaarj(Other).Skin = texture(DynamicLoadObject("HDSkins_tex.IceSkaarjHD", Class'Texture'));

Pupae(Other).MultiSkins[1] = texture(DynamicLoadObject("HDSkins_tex.PupaeHD", Class'Texture'));

Krall(Other).Skin = texture(DynamicLoadObject("HDSkins_tex.KrallHD", Class'Texture'));

return true;
}
I'm not much of a coder, but even I understand that code!  I used similar code for the Limbo mutator.

Here is the Skaarj Gunner:

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SkTrooper2.jpg[/img]

Old:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/sktrooper2ol.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

{

return true;
}
If just the exact class match is required or desired, doing switches based on Class.Name also do work.

switch ( Other.Class.Name )
{
  case 'IceSkaarj': /* ^.^ */ break;
}
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Thanks for the advice, han :)
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Are you making this mutator for 227 or UT99?  Or will it be both?

Also, I did some minor changes to the Skaarj Gunner.

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SkTrooper2New.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”