For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

ahaigh's S3TC download page

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

ahaigh's S3TC download page

Post by ahaigh01 »

This thread is to post the download location of textures that I have made for the URP and the related S3TC textures for the UnrealShare meshes, mainly so that Diehard, Smirftsch or anyone else can get the finished textures. 

Some info on the different size textures:

The Rar file for each texture includes versions for ExtremeEnd, HighEnd, and LowEnd.  So far I have not created any textures at 4096x4096 because quite a few were done already, and the most recent I didn't have source material that was greater than 2048.  In in most cases the sizes will be as follows:

Original = 256, new texture created at 2048 or 4096
ExtremeEnd = 2048 or 4096
HighEnd =2048
LowEnd = 1024

Original = 128, new texture created at 2048
ExtremeEnd = 2048
HighEnd = 1024
LowEnd = 512

Original = 64, new texture created at 2048
ExtremeEnd = 1024
HighEnd = 512
LowEnd = 256
Then I also include a version at 2048 in a folder called SuperExtreme just in case it is useful for some reason in the future ;)

I usually include a .jpg of the texure as well in the .Rar

Any new textures I do will be added to this page.

Diehard, I hope this makes sense and that it fits the scheme of the 3 versions.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b4e2rie6gw582
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Re: ahaigh's S3TC download page

Post by ahaigh01 »

Just to keep things straight... So that when I add new ones it will be evident.

Uploaded Mar 1, 2011:

DDS Viewer WTV.rar
GenFX.Mask.g-patch.rar
GenFX.Mask.g_roots-1.rar
GenFX.Mask.moss2.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JBook1-4.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.Jhealth1.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JNaliFruit.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JPlant11.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JPlant21.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JPlant31.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JPlant41.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JPlant61.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree101.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree11.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree111.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree121.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree21.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree31.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree41.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree51.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree61.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree71.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JTree81.rar

Uploaded Mar 3, 2011:

GenFX.Mask.SeaWeed.rar
GenFX.Mask.seaweed2.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JLantern1.rar

Uploaded Mar 4, 2011:

GenFX.Mask.moss-hng.rar
GenFX.Mask.moss-hng2.rar

Uploaded Mar. 8, 2011

GenFX.Mask.vines.rar

Uploaded Mar. 9, 2011

GenFX.Mask.lilymix.rar

Uploaded Mar 10, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.JTree91.rar
NaliCast.Deco.bookcas1.rar
NaliCast.Deco.bookcas2.rar
GenFX.Mask.leaves.rar
GenFX.Mask.lilys.rar
GenFX.Mask.lilys2.rar

Uploaded Mar 11, 2011:

GenFX.Mask.cob-web2.rar

Uploaded Mar 12, 2011:

GenFX.Mask.cob-web3.rar

Uploaded Mar 16, 2011:

GenFX.Mask.cob-web4.rar

Uploaded Mar 29, 2011

UnrealShare.Skins.JBarrel1.rar

Uploaded Mar 30, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.JChest1.rar

Uploaded Mar 31, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.JFlashl1.rar

Uploaded Apr 1, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.JSign11.rar

Uploaded Apr. 3, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.Jband1.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JAmplifier1.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JBoulder1.rar

Uploaded Apr. 6, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.gina.rar
Female1Skins.gina.rar
UnrealI.Skins.JMoon3.rar
UnrealI.Skins.JFlag21.rar
UnrealI.Skins.JFlag31.rar
UnrealI.Skins.MoonTwo.rar

Uploaded Apr 10, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.JWoodenBox1.rar

Uploaded Apr 11, 2011:

UnrealShare.Skins.DPistol1.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.Jclip1.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.Jmisc1.rar
UnrealShare.Skins.JRabbit1.rar

Uploaded Apr 15, 2011:

GenFX.Mask.PLANTMSK.rar
GenFX.Mask.Plantms2.rar
GenFX.Mask.Plantms3.rar

Uploaded Apr 17, 2011:
GenFX.Mask.straw
GenFX.Mask.straw h.rar
Crypt.cRivtStl.rar

http://www.mediafire.com/?b4e2rie6gw582
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I already wanted to give you FTP access so you dont have to deal with all types of "vague" uploadsites. But i need to work out the details for a usable FTP.

As soon as i worked out a decent filestructure for your FTP ill sent you an PM with all the details. And i am way behind in everything, and i am also collecting all bugreports that i have gotten in the last year. Those too needs to be fixed as well as solving a few other problems.

With the release of those updates than the available textures you have for utx packages should also be included.

Diehard, I hope this makes sense and that it fits the scheme of the 3 versions.
There did slip a few errors in your calculations  ;) This page probably gives the best overview for all formats: [url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Projects/ConversionProject/Photoshop/TextureCalculations/TextureCalculations.htm]Texture Calculations[/url]

But its no biggy as long as all sizes needed are present, and they are from the looks of it :) I have not downloaded them yet, but will do when i am ready for it. Than ill have an actual good look at them.

The calculations i always present are not always obvious, and at such moments its not a bad idea to have a look at the charts. And i am not lying, i often use them myself as well, to find out what the correct formats are.....

And alot of thinking went in the correct sizes. The HighEnd textures are pretty much straight forward and are more easelly to calculate yourself. And they pretty much reflect the original sizes in larger format. LowEnd they sometimes are cut to odd sizes and you really have to look them up in the chart. But they really are cut where performance may cause a risk. The LowEnd packages can basically run on any type of videocard with no hasle.

The ExtremeEnd on the other hand pretty much dont have a calculation. They simply are added to the most redicouous sizes likelly possible :) I guess the only step further you could make is have all textures regardless 2 or 1024 pixel originally have them all 4096.

But as said, the HighEnd calculations are the most straight forward.

On the lower end you should never go lower than 256 pixels on S3TC. If you do than the compression damage done to them exceed to gain your would get. And this became very apearent when i made the radar animations. And in reality you shouldnt even go below 512, so if it wasnt for performance reasons, i would always stick with 512 and higher.

And than sometimes i deviate from the calculations, like the crates, they were added larger than the calculations. Simply because they represent Unreal that much, they needed to be high res regardless. They can be found in virtually any map, and if you see a screenshot from "whatever game" and a crate is visible, anyone that ever played Unreal, recognise, ooooh, this MUST be Unreal!
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Thanks Diehard for the info.  Hope you are doing ok.

The latest one I did is in 4096x4096.  The source photos were very high detail so it worked extremely well and the result is noticeably better than 2048 :) It is GenFX.Mask.vines.rar.

It wont be too much longer until I have the whole group of GenFX.Mask done.  If you feel like passing your work along to me on the straw texture I could take a shot at it.  And since you have done the rug-d texture already the group would be complete.

Last edited by ahaigh01 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

I'm updating my 2nd post whenever I add a new completed texture.

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later - I made a texture a few weeks back that was already done :-[  It's the bookcas1 + 2 from NaleCast - I was looking around in some map and saw that the bookcases were still low res - except it was the sBkShlvs from skycity.utx that I was looking at!  (A 3rd bookcase texture that is not done yet) So I was just going to not bring it up ::) but it looks like the ones that are  already high res are 1024x512 if I'm correct. So I uploaded my versions cuz they are 4096x2048 so they may be useful if ExtremeEnd versions do not exist.  My versions are somewhat different looking because they are based on photos from some real antique books that I got from my mothers house.
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

In addition to adding new textures I went back through them all and updated some in regards to the URP texture calculations guide. See my 2nd post for all that are done.
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

Of all the projects out there, I probably like the UTRP most. It's a pity that DieHard cannot work on this at the moment, but things seem to go on.

The files you uploaded - are you planning to pack them as a proper .utx in the end, i.e. without causing the skating player glitch and so on?
alone alive again
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Yes - the textures will be made into packages but it may be a little while.  The ones that existed within a .utx package will in the end be packaged and hosted by Diehard.  The textures that are in UnrealShare, UnrealI and eventually Upak are different and can't be made in the same way as .utx.  When 227g is settled down and I have done more skins I will talk to smirftsch about creating net compatible versions of UnrealShare and UnrealI that use dds textures.  Or it could be done with a mutator which BOZO has in development.  I don't know which way it will go in the end yet.

Also smirftsch isn't able to alter UT - only Unreal, so I guess a mutator is the only option for model skins in UT
Last edited by ahaigh01 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

I've read about the skin problem, which is a pity.

But I was wondering: the d3d10drv from kentie.net says, it can directly work with external dds files. Isn't it possible to replace the skins with this method?
alone alive again
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Good news. A fresh texture merger I wrote can successfully merge normal packages, and not just texture packages. Tomorrow I'll see about releasing some files if the GUIDs match correctly.

Last I tried I could not get the merger to work with UT. Again, I'll try that out tomorrow. {it's 10PM for me as of this post}
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Sounds interesting, i also have a few textures infiltration265 lying around also added to a .u file.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

http://www.klankaos.com/UnrealShareExtremeEnd.7z

227h version only

has all UnrealShare modifications in the OP

TheIronKnuckle
OldUnreal Member

Post by TheIronKnuckle »

Casey, that's a dead link now. I'm intrigued by this and would like to try it out
Hermskii
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hermskii »

Is this a S3TC team effort? I did not know DIEHARD ever really worked with other people on this. Anyone here know where a single collection of all of these latest "DIEHARD APPROVED S3TC TEXTURES" can be found. Will all of the one lisited above be in said colection?
~Peace~

Hermskii
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

A few people in the past have contributed to the project(limited).

If it concerns textures that not have been done, and provided it matches the demands as far as accuracy(read also mood, atmosphere and color) than it will be added to the files. I am also the only one that can process the utx packages so there is no way around that.

And they will be included in the updates, in the updates where i post on the forums it is also mentioned who did what(or particially). It can also be found in the txt copyright files from the package involved, as in that case i do not own the copyright.

On the webpages that host the files there is no mention from it, not from me, not from anyone else, so its only the txt files and the mention on the forums.

Hmm, for some reason I don’t seem to get a notification mail from this forum. Ill check that.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

Is there a UT version of Casey's file above?  I was just thinking the other day how low-quality the barrels and crates look compared to the S3TC textures, and I have to admit that they look incredible in the new ExtremeEnd UnrealShare.u file above.  Pretty please, can someone tell me how to use them in UT? :D
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

The texture merger I made, for some reason, crashes when I try to use it in UT.

IT works fine in unrealgold/227i, but the critical function (I think an editor import factory) crashes. I haven't looked at it in years though...
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

The only way I know of adding these textures to UT is to convert the .dds files in photoshop to .bmp files, then use a program called "bright" to convert that to 256 color pcx files. I can then import them in to UED. They lose a little bit of quality during the conversion process, however... If there is a better way, I would like to know.

DDS files cannot be used by UT, right?
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

You can import 24-bpp BMP into Unreal and the import generator creates a DXT-1 texture object... DXT-1 is S3TC.

Only use Bright if you want to stay true to Unreal's limits and don't want to crash people running Glide renderer.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

You can import 24-bpp BMP into Unreal and the import generator creates a DXT-1 texture object... DXT-1 is S3TC.

Only use Bright if you want to stay true to Unreal's limits and don't want to crash people running Glide renderer.
What is the import generator?
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Um, it's a native object that handles bitmap file conversion to Unreal's internal texture class?

I can't really tell you exactly what it "is", I was just saying that when it's invoked with a 24-bit BMP file as the import target, it automatically creates a DXT-1 (S3TC) format Texture object for you to use.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Um, it's a native object that handles bitmap file conversion to Unreal's internal texture class?

I can't really tell you exactly what it "is", I was just saying that when it's invoked with a 24-bit BMP file as the import target, it automatically creates a DXT-1 (S3TC) format Texture object for you to use.
I guess I phrased my question wrong.  I thought you were implying that there was some external program that imports textures (an import generator), but I misread your post.  I guess my real question is how I import 24-bit bmp files in to Unreal, as you said I could do.  I am familiar with UED2.0, and I know it cannot import BMP files at all (UnrealED 1 can).  Besides, it only works with 256 colors.

I guess what I need is a tutorial or something along those lines that tells me how to get these .dds files in to UnrealShare.u.  I can use photoshop to convert the .dds files to 24-bit bmp, but then what? Do I use UCC?
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Unreal does not operate on 256 colours alone. You need to specify "all types" or manually type in the import command into the unreal log window in the editor. I've imported 24-bit BMP's into Unreal all the time, and Unreal warns that it created a DXT1, the warning is there because not all graphics cards at the time even knew what that format even is internally. (This obviously isn't a problem today)

I've never ran into any issues importing .BMP into Unreal, you can even export .BMP if you type the export filename as .bmp instead of .pcx.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

So how do I import them?  What is the command in Unreal? That's what I'm asking here. ;)
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

I don't remember it off hand, and none of my Unreal related stuff is on this system and currently stuck on drives I can't mount externally yet.

If you import a texture the command will show up in the log. (It should, but I'm speaking from UnrealED 1.0 experience)

Sorry for confusing you that much, but I still think in the import dialog there should be a option to view "All files" not just "PCX" and you should beable at that point to import a .BMP (It needs to be 24-bit, with no colourspace information)

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”