For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[RELEASED] UT99 and Unreal HD Skins V3 [UT] [227]

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

[RELEASED] UT99 and Unreal HD Skins V3 [UT] [227]

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

Developer: Lightning Hunter

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Synopsis:
An Unreal227/UT99 High-resolution skins mutator.

Features:
This mutator replaces those old, blurry Unreal/UT99/RTNP skins with detailed, high-res versions. The primary goal of this project was to keep the skins looking as faithful as possible, while removing the obvious outdated "pixelation" of the original skins.  In order to achieve this, each skin has been manually reworked. There has been no simple filters or cheesy sharpening techniques used during the skinning process. Each skin has been manually air-brushed and blended. Hundreds of layers were created to apply overlay detail textures, better looking shadows, better highlights, and more.  The end result is faithful skins that look almost the same from a distance, but far more detailed up-close. In the case of bigger meshes like the Titan, detail is evident even when viewed from a distance.  The skins have all been done in either 1k, 2k, or 4k, depending on the size of the model.

With the new Version 3 release, ALL skins of Unreal Tournament, Unreal, and RTNP are included! In addition to this, many custom Skins from popular single player maps are also included! If that wasn't enough, the longstanding FOV issue of the weapons in widescreen is FIXED. No more ginormous Redeemer! Some of the previous HD Unreal skins have also been updated for this release, and an optional "random HD armor" mod is included for UT99.

Supported Custom Maps/Packs for HD content:

7 Bullets
Xidia Gold
Operation Na Pali
Project Zephon
Strange World
Déjà Vu – Gryphon Revisited
Interloper (only one Skaarj skin currently)

VIDEO:

See the readme file for more credits and installation insructions!   I also recommend getting the new HD4K Extreme Resolution textures by Ahaigh01, which look great when combined with these Skins.

[url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/high-resolution-unreal-skins]DOWNLOAD[/url]
[url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/high-resolution-unreal-skins][img][/img][/url]

ALSO TRY THIS:  [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/rtnp-the-ultimate-edition]Return To Na Pali: Ultimate Edition v1.1 HD[/url]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: [RELEASED] UT99 and Unreal HD Skins V3 [UT] [227]

Post by Kajgue »

Looks great!

"Strange World"

When you say that it gives me a feeling I'm going to see a HD David Munnich concealed within a secret! ;D
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

Very nice! :)

Only thing I noticed: I user XOpenGL and Precaching on Linux v469a with a Radeon RX 460.
Without these new textures, the precaching time is around 2 seconds.
With the new textures, the precaching time goes to over a minute.
alone alive again
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

I have updated the mod to version 3.1. Everyone should visit the Moddb page and grab the new version. This version includes fixes to the weapon positions, a new mod window to enable/disable the weapon position fix, MipMaps for the custom skins (so they don't look grainy from a distance), and tweaks to the Shock rifle and Super Shock Rifle.
Looks great!

"Strange World"

When you say that it gives me a feeling I'm going to see a HD David Munnich concealed within a secret!  ;D
Lol, I think there is a DavidM skin that comes with ONP.  I should make an HD version of it just for kicks and giggles.   ;D
Very nice! :)

Only thing I noticed: I user XOpenGL and Precaching on Linux v469a with a Radeon RX 460.
Without these new textures, the precaching time is around 2 seconds.
With the new textures, the precaching time goes to over a minute.
I haven't tested XOpenGL or Linux (or a Radeon card), so I can't tell you for sure why that is happening.  Try turning off precache and see if it helps.  Precache works better with DX11, but maybe it is better to have it off with XOpenGL.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I'll be brutally blunt. Apologies if I may offend someone, this is certainly not my intention. I aim for constructive feedback.

And the constructive feedback is that, to me, this mutator is absolutely useless. 227i and 227j 46. Regular textures, HD textures UTXed and HD textures separate, D3D9 and D3D11 renderers, precaching on or off, result is the same. The performance of the game without the mutator on a six-year-old hardware (WITH 4K TEXTURES EVEN) is flawless. With the mutator added, it hard-locks the game on the first level I load, custom or stock, all the same.

I don't know what causes this. No mods, as I have just one big custom campaign installed (Unreal PSX) at the moment, on this particular installation. Nothing comes to mind. The hard lockup requiring me to log off the system in order to forcefully close Unreal, is caused by this mutator specifically, in v3.0 LQ and 3.1 HQ.

So I have a request.

For those that share a similar issue - if you have custom skins HDified, please do donate them to Ahaigh's project as UTXes or loose DDSes. If there are any textures within .u files, or myleveled ones, that this mutator replaces, I'll just have to deal with them being low res originals but for those that come from UTXes, you can make a significant change so please, do consider doing that, as UTXes, even 4K, cause no burden over here.

I'll be grateful.
Last edited by Victor Delacroix on Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

What about ver 2.1 of the mutator? See if that works. It would probably help Lightning Hunter if the issue turns out to be a bug in v3. Most of the new additions in ver 3 pertain to UT99 anyhow. BTW he is releasing external DDS versions of the skins soon.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

BTW he is releasing external DDS versions of the skins soon.
Then if you could kindly just UTX those that matter (those that replace skins from external UTXes or sth), then I'll be fine. I'm honestly not interested in another hard lockup, if this continues, I'll eventually lose data. I'm just not interested. It isn't even his fault, but those individuals' that add textures into .u packages or mylevel them. I've been mentioning this to people in passing for years, on how wrong this is.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Why are some of the ExtremeEnd S3TC texture files by Diehard (URP) considerably larger in file size than the "Unreal227 HD High Resolution Edition 3.0" pack by AHaigh01? Will I lose out on detail when I switch from the DieHard version of the URP to the AHaigh01 ones?
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Hi,

I did reduce the size in some textures in the High Resolution 3.0 version, but only where I felt it could not be noticed. When I do a 3.1 update to the pack it will qualify as Extreme End. In the mean time there is the Extreme End 4K version that is only DDS DX11 presently. Also Diehards old releases are missing around half the textures. That was why I wanted to complete the project that had stalled out.

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”