For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal 2 Jump Stopped Working

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Unreal 2 Jump Stopped Working

Post by Fred »

Hey,

My son called me yesterday for advice saying the space bar jump function stopped working. He's in the map called Hell, where the problem first occurred. The jump function worked up to that point.

He loaded a save where the jump worked, and the jump function works prior to loading Hell. He checked the Options and the Space bar is set to jump. Also, the Advance Properties has the Space bar set to jump, as does the .ini file. I had him check all of them to make sure.

He's using Windows 10 with 16GB RAM, and a Radion R9-380 video card with latest drivers on a new computer, Intel i7 processor.

Other then the jump function not working only in Hell, the game is working properly. Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this issue and how to rectify it?

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal 2 Jump Stopped Working

Post by Fred »

Looks like this jump problem is a mystery, judging from the lack of responses. I searched the Internet looking for clues, or just any information, that could shed some light on this issue. Nothing! I did find some posts where people had jump problems in Unreal Editor, but nothing from folks just playing the game as users.

I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe it will correct itself. I've had mysterious problems appear and then disappear to never be seen again. We'll see.

Fred
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Try a reinstall? Make sure U2.ini isn't read only when changing stuff in there too
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

I'll certainly consider advising son to perform a reinstall. I'll want him to try another go at playing the game to see whether the problem persists. He has a job taking president, and these things take time to work through. Yeah, the .ini file isn't set to read only.

Fred
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

As soon as I got Win10 my Unreal2 stopped working, along with ut2004.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Try compatibility with Win7 on your main exe... or change the renderer if you can. Like, to OpenGL maybe. Old D3D apps often error out due to "device lost" on 10 unless treated with compat or switched to something else.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Sometimes a key can get assigned to more than one function.

He should go into setup and make sure the spacebar is only on jump.

I use the spacebar for alt-fire and A for jumping.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

I think I managed to fix the jump and some other problems that son had while playing Unreal 2 in Windows 10. I had him set the compatibility mode to Windows 8, and the game works better with that setting. At least, so far.

I have no idea why the game would work better with that Windows 8 mode, but what the heck. I like it when it works. When I first installed Win10, the free upgrade install process removed Unreal 2, saying it was not compatible with Win10. Even so, I reinstalled it. It seems to work well with the compatibility mode set to Win8.

Fred

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”