For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal 2 multiplayer

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Unreal 2 multiplayer

Post by makemeunreal »

Last night I ventured deep into the realms of Unreal 2 multiplayer. Succesfully made a Deathmatch map which works. It wasn't that hard tho.
(Define the Defeault Gametype and then modify the ini(minplayers))
The next step would be the starting of a server.
Tried to run U2 with the command -server, which made the exe to work like one, it went down to the tray, but stopped working a few secs later.
But, is there any chance to get it working? I've got a few ideas about that, but I'm just not experienced enough to do anything with it.
-We could use XMP's coding, or portions of it. Or use it as an example
-Use other UEngine games coding as an example (which games use the same UEngine build ofc)
-Use the Xbox files somehow

Btw, U2 log.

Code: Select all

0.00      info      Log_Standard      ngLog
0.00      info      Log_Version      1.2
0.00      info      Log_Info_URL      http://www.netgamesusa.com/ngLog/
0.00      info      Game_Name      Unreal
0.00      info      Game_Version      2001
0.00      info      Game_Creator      Epic MegaGames, Inc.
0.00      info      Game_Creator_URL      http://www.epicgames.com/
0.00      info      Game_Decoder_Ring_URL      http://unreal.epicgames.com/Unreal_Log_Decoder_Ring.html
0.00      info      Absolute_Time      2016.05.18.23.15.41.363.+2.0
0.00      info      Server_ServerName      Another Unreal2 Server
0.00      info      Server_AdminName      
0.00      info      Server_AdminEmail      
0.00      info      Server_Region      0
0.00      info      Server_MOTDLine1      
0.00      info      Server_MOTDLine2      
0.00      info      Server_MOTDLine3      
0.00      info      Server_MOTDLine4      
0.00      info      Server_IP      
0.00      info      Server_Port      7777
0.00      map      Name      Autoplay.un2
0.00      map      Title      Untitled
0.00      map      Author      
0.00      map      IdealPlayerCount      0
0.00      map      LevelEnterText      
0.00      player      Connect      Player      0      False
0.00      player      Ping      0      0
3.99      game_start
30.00      player      Ping      0      0
41.86      suicide      0      None      U2.DamageTypeElectrical      None
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal 2 multiplayer

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I went into those reaches once...and never returned again. As for u2 deathmatch there were even few custom maps made around but its really just for playing with bots and you don't even get the suit with shields unless the map is properly set up (something to watch for)...

makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

But, is it impossible to host a server?
The dlls, the editor... coopstuff everywhere
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

A dedicated server at least.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

And, what about this?
http://web.archive.org/web/20040220064921/http://www.planetnapali.com/
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes it's too bad it died and was discontinued, like a lot more. It certainly is possible and those guys proved it, well perhaps someone can find out who this Imperator guy is and if there's a contact for him around.

EDIT: Searching for Imperator turned up this:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1242464067

With SkaarjSlayer having in his sig "I am imperator", well that's not what I've been looking for.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, we should ask him then!
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Actually beeing able to run a dedicated server and join it doesn't imply that you get very far. In Undying this is fairly easy to do, but the game keeps crashing due to other issues.

Though Unreal 2 is most certainly less problematic for Coop, as it contains not so much UI code and is not that complex as Deus Ex, chances are that most parts of Unreal 2 code are actually written for singleplayer. And multiplayer code is not singleplayer + network, but needs to be written for network straight ahead, so this MIGHT involve a lot of work.

However, I would expect that one would run at some point into troubles were unreal script code alone is not sufficient (either with a SP or XMP based approach) and one would need to use C++ code to solve these. On one hand, UE2 is most certainly like Unreal 1 in the regard that you can probably fairly easy nearly all components of the Engine/Game, it is most certainly a lot more work involved in making custom headers for this game then it is for UE1 games. However, one can assume that the Core package is probably mostly the same, while for the Engine package the heavily modified xkanim Engine package source could prove invaluable.

My assumption would be that it is possible to create a coop mod, but that it would probably require a lot of work and a lot of harder technical issues to solve.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

You may be right. First of all, we should get a hand on Planet NaPali's stuff.
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

Having tried bringing all of the code from the Xbox version of Unreal 2 over to the PC version, I can safely say that method is a dead end. The code for the splitscreen itself isn't in the UScript, only things like the revival system and other various class adjustments are.

XMP and Unreal 2 are based on different versions of the engine, so there's nothing that would really apply to it. Same with other games.

There are two solutions I can think of, both of which are bad:

1. Create a new class that can be spawned and then controlled by the player character with custom keybinds. I imagine this would be difficult to control (if it would be responsive at all). Drawing a portal from the new class' view would be taxing on low-end computers, and I don't even know if it would be possible to give it a HUD.

2. Take all of the Unreal 2 assets and convert them to either XMP (which has a different version of Legend's emitter system, plus the HUD) or UT2004 (which has mods that are good for making single player campaigns thanks to AI support and stuff). This would be incredibly time consuming and difficult for both games. For XMP, the whole AI system would need to be converted from UT2004 and/or one of those mods (I actually got the invasion manta working at one point). For UT2004, all of the particle effects and HUD would need to be remade. For both games, all of the static meshes, textures, models, maps, and AI behavior would need to be converted or remade to fit Unreal 2's. The weapon models would be the real challenge, since a lot of them are made out of static meshes, which would need to be repositioned exactly (I get the feeling that UTPT messes with the scale or something, and UE Viewer doesn't work with Unreal 2's static meshes).

Both of these methods would be a lot more trouble than they're worth. I don't know enough about native coding to know if there would be a solution there.
Last edited by AlCapowned on Thu May 19, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

So, there's no way to extract any hud-generation-and-play-together data from the xbox version...
That was the best bet tho.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Do you guys know anybody who worked on the Planet NaPali project?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

2. Take all of the Unreal 2 assets and convert them to either XMP (which has a different version of Legend's emitter system, plus the HUD) or UT2004 (which has mods that are good for making single player campaigns thanks to AI support and stuff). This would be incredibly time consuming and difficult for both games. For XMP, the whole AI system would need to be converted from UT2004 and/or one of those mods (I actually got the invasion manta working at one point)..
You ported the manta to u2xmp? Do you still have that? It would be interesting for me to see that.
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/download/vs67xycj7spy88c/TestMod.zip[/url]

It has a bunch of other crap in there (the whole thing is a mess), but you can just take that out. Last I remember the manta worked, but I might have made changes and messed it up for all I know.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

EDIT2: Ignore the following, I got at least the manta etc to compile, it works fine.

EDIT: I realizer what you meant by taking it out, you mean compiling classes like manta separately..

I just compiled it(or not because of the outright error), got these kind of errors though:

Code: Select all

Error: C:\U2XMP\TestMod\Classes\TestFlamethrower.uc(83) : Error, Can't find ParticleSalamander 'LaserRifleFX_newtest.ParticleSalamander1'

Warning: C:\U2XMP\TestMod\Classes\Monster.uc(158) : Warning, Ammo_SpawnProjectile: Missing return value

Warning: Failed to load '..\System\ParticleRes\DispersionFX.u': Can't find file '..\System\ParticleRes\DispersionFX.u'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\System\ParticleRes\DispersionFX.u'
Log: Parsing projectileDispersion2Alt
Log: Parsing projectileDispersionAlt
Warning: Failed to load '..\System\ParticleRes\DispersionFX.u': Can't find file '..\System\ParticleRes\DispersionFX.u'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\System\ParticleRes\DispersionFX.u'
Log: Parsing U2Projectile
Warning: Failed to load '..\Sounds\U2WeaponsA.uax': Can't find file '..\Sounds\U2WeaponsA.uax'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\Sounds\U2WeaponsA.uax'
Log: Parsing projectileLaserBeam
Warning: Failed to load '..\Particles\LaserRifleFX_newtest.u': Can't find file '..\Particles\LaserRifleFX_newtest.u'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\Particles\LaserRifleFX_newtest.u'
Log: Parsing projectileTakkra
Warning: Failed to load '..\Particles\takkraFX.u': Can't find file '..\Particles\takkraFX.u'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\Particles\takkraFX.u'
Warning: Failed to load '..\Animations\TakkraM.ukx': Can't find file '..\Animations\TakkraM.ukx'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\Animations\TakkraM.ukx'
Log: Parsing projectileLeech
Warning: Failed to load '..\Animations\LeechGunK.ukx': Can't find file '..\Animations\LeechGunK.ukx'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\Animations\LeechGunK.ukx'
Warning: Failed to load '..\Particles\LeechFX.u': Can't find file '..\Particles\LeechFX.u'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file '..\Particles\LeechFX.u'

Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sat May 21, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

That whole package was going to be a test for porting a bunch of Unreal 2's stuff to XMP. I wanted to add a bunch of weapons, a marshal class that would be super slow but have access to all of them, AI, Skaarj classes, etc.

Looking at it again, I'm pretty sure XMP has an older version of Unreal 2's particle system, because effects like the laser rifle's primary act completely differently, and others like the dispersion pistol blast don't work at all. XMP's particle system probably wouldn't make converting the weapons any easier like I said before.
Last edited by AlCapowned on Sun May 22, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Having different projectiles would be the least. :S

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”