For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal 2 Crashes On Windows 10

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Unreal 2 Crashes On Windows 10

Post by Fred »

Hi,

I upgraded an old Windows 7 system to Win10, 32bit Home.  The Win7 computer had Unreal 2 installed and it worked perfectly with the same hardware.  The Win10 upgrade removed Unreal 2.

I reinstalled Unreal 2 in Win10.  I have installed the game in several other Win10 computers, and the game works in Win10, with only some minor tweaks.

However, in this latest upgrade, the game crashes after the introductory videos.  It crashes when loading the first map, the one after traveling to his home ship after meeting with his commander.  It's the map where he would receive a briefing from Ida.  It works until that point.

Here is the crash message text I copied:

Assertion failed: InPos
Last edited by Fred on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal 2 Crashes On Windows 10

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

...And nothing of value was lost.

but it looks like an object might be broken in the AtlantisM package
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

KAOS,

AtlantlisM.usx is one of the static meshes in Unreal2. It's installed right where it's supposed to be, so it's not like it's missing or something. Something else is causing the problem, and for that item to appear in the error message.

I may just have to uninstall the game using the utility in Control Panel, and then reinstall the whole ball of wax. These problems oftentimes defy analyses because of their mysterious nature. Sometimes one has to bite the bullet and get to work. I hate it when that happens.

Fred
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

That message means nothing to me.  Here are my system specs:

Processor:  Intel Core Duo, E-8500, 3.1 GHz
RAM:  4 GB DDR2 800, dual channel
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, 1 GB VRAM, DDR5 (latest drivers-Crimson 15.2, 32 bit installed).

Those specs ran Unreal 2 perfectly in Windows 7, and I have run Unreal 2 with lesser specs, including in Win10 on other computers.
This kind of problem is never a sign of inadequate specs.

You could try opening the map in UnrealEd and see if there's an error message there. Otherwise, yes, do a fresh install and perhaps it will fix it.

Just like Casey, I wouldn't work too much to make U2 work, it's not really memorable anyway. :P
You must construct additional pylons.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

OK, I sucked it up and reinstalled the game. The Unreal2 install CD has an uninstall option I used to get rid of it. I then ran CCleaner to remove any reference to the game in the Registry. There's no easy way out.

The reinstall completed properly, and the game now works as intended. The game is memorable enough. I think some downplay it because it's not a sequel to the original Unreal. Apart from that fact, it's a fine work.

I'll now continue my play through. I'm Daulton, and I'm from the Red planet and I'm here to help. :o

Fred
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

John dalton is a redguard.

Also, glad(?) to see it was just a broken file.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Yup, I'm very annoyed by this.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”