For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal 2 Alpha

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Unreal 2 Alpha

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fnmab2jbwq2b9np/Unreal_II_%28Alpha%29.rar

Not much to see here, but it looks like a pretty closeish build to UT.

First I've heard of it, apparently it has been in a collection on assembler games for quite some time.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal 2 Alpha

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I'm downloading to see if it's the same build that's been out there for quite some time (not specific to assembler games). It might seem close to UT, but it's very unique on its own and has some unused content. Also non Golem meshes do crash the game when they animate, making it difficult sometimes, especially with a lot of weapons done there, but only some have been golem converted at that stage and everything relies on level scripts.

I also was never ever able to run all the maps on this build, as the only alpha/beta of any Unreal game that's out there. It seems to have a choice for particular systems and right now I can only play atlantis and the water dam map.

This was e3 alpha(assuming it's the same build) and it had a lot of content stripped out still..

What would be really great would be actually to get an earlier build than this which was more finished and had the other skaarj in it still too and the non-golem meshes didn't crash in-game. Screenshots from those times were rare though but I've seen a couple in hidden places.

Just like with Unreal Alphas/betas, the quality/stage of completion varied from time to time to major milestones etc when everything had to be rewritten/redone.

That means not necesarily earlier or newer build would be better.

EDIT: Yes, it says it's version 697 which is the only alpha/beta leak of Unreal 2 out there, for many years since the initial leak in 2001. Has been re-packed a couple of times too..
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

The "E3" maps in there don't really have anything special at all. They look unfinished, so if anything, this is a build before they actually showed anything at E3.

Also, the 3 weapons I was able to use (pistol, sniper rifle and flamethrower) appear to work.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The "E3" maps in there don't really have anything special at all. They look unfinished, so if anything, this is a build before they actually showed anything at E3.

Also, the 3 weapons I was able to use (pistol, sniper rifle and flamethrower) appear to work.
They actually showed those bits at E3, kinda like a cinematic etc, others couildn't really play around with them so it was safe play for the devs.

I assume you don't know the "E3" Unreal PSX maps either (there were a couple of them, e1l1,e1l2,e3l4, all special versions of those levels), they've been really meant to show what was safe to show at the time and what worked well and they were especially optimized to run on the psx hardware (which build is lost forever).

All the weapons actually work, for example if you set the other weapon meshes to not be there or to the golem meshes, they will function just fine, but otherwise they either don't play their animation or crash the game altogether when it comes to meshnotify functions for example. In the editor it's a different story of course and I can also open all the maps in the editor, just not to walk in the game using those maps.

Also notable that the grapple in this version actually does honor the fakebackdrop surface flag and will not stick to these surfaces, meaning you can't just grab the sky like you can in the release unreal 2 with it.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”