For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How to make door unlock and then work as bump Triggered?

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Abominog
OldUnreal Member

How to make door unlock and then work as bump Triggered?

Post by Abominog »

This applies to Unreal 2 and Unrealed 3.0:
Anyone know how to do this? I mean I can make doors all day that are technically unlocked by a Trigger, but don't know how to make it where its used normal after that (as in bump triggered). This is what I've got:
1. A door I don't want anyone to be able to go through until a few other areas are explored. Within one of those other areas is a switch (Trigger) which makes the before mentioned door usable (or "unlocked" if you will).
2. Now this is always easy to do, i've made tons of these, problem is they usually close and you need to hit that switch again, or the other way I've done them is that they generally stay open and never shut. But to make them where they shut again and be able thereafter to just bump trigger them throws me. I've racked my brain for 2 days of this now. Maybe I'm over thinking and I've know how in the past? [shrug]
Any help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Abominog on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: How to make door unlock and then work as bump Triggered?

Post by gopostal »

An invisible mover that prevents you from touching the door until you move it? That would be the easiest way.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Trigger the trigger.

Don't make the door activated by bumping, it's unreliable and may cause problems depending on the door's shape. Put a trigger in front of the door to activate it. This is how doors work in stock Unreal maps.

Once your door is operated by a trigger, set it to bInitiallyActive to false and set its InitialState to OtherTriggerToTurnOn. Then put another trigger elsewhere to trigger the door's trigger.

That way the second Trigger simply makes the door's trigger active. Since the door is dependent on the first trigger to open, your system will work as intended.

If you want the door's trigger to be deactivatable again, set it to OtherTriggerToggles.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
Abominog
OldUnreal Member

Post by Abominog »

An invisible mover that prevents you from touching the door until you move it? That would be the easiest way.
haha. That is true. I did not think of that. That's pretty good. I'm going to keep both of these in mind.
Abominog
OldUnreal Member

Post by Abominog »

Trigger the trigger.

Don't make the door activated by bumping, it's unreliable and may cause problems depending on the door's shape. Put a trigger in front of the door to activate it. This is how doors work in stock Unreal maps.
Yes u are right. I goofed, I didn't mean bump open, I meant with a trigger placed in front of the door and set to TriggerOpenTimed. That's the way I usually make them. Yeah, multi-part doors don't always work properly with BumpOpenTimed unless your lucky enough to hit all pieces at relatively the same time. :P
I kind of want to go the trigger route because you learn so much by it. I kind of wondered if it might be a trigger + trigger thing but wasn't sure and still wouldn't have known how to do it.
Thank you, thank you very much. I will check this out. If it works I'll write this down to keep as tutorial.
Abominog
OldUnreal Member

Post by Abominog »

Trigger the trigger.
Once your door is operated by a trigger, set it to bInitiallyActive to false and set its InitialState to OtherTriggerToTurnOn. Then put another trigger elsewhere to trigger the door's trigger.
That way the second Trigger simply makes the door's trigger active. Since the door is dependent on the first trigger to open, your system will work as intended.
If you want the door's trigger to be deactivatable again, set it to OtherTriggerToggles.
Yes, that works. That's exactly how I wanted it to act. I got it set up and its perfect. Thanks again. I wrote the instructions down.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

No problem.

In cases where this solution cannot be used (I have a hard time imagining a situation where it wouldn't work as intended), there is the diry solution: make the door's trigger attached to an invisible mover deep in the ground/wall/ceiling and make the other trigger activate the invisible mover to that it moves the door's trigger in the correct position. Quick and dirty way to fix things.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Another thing that came to mind when talking about bump open timed is that the unlock could happen for a button that opens the door, and not the door itself. In fact, that would have a better messaging than just making the door usable - a red button that beeps when you press it could become blue and operable, so anyone can tell at a glance if it's open or not (albeit I'm not sure if the stock U2 buttons support triggering them on and off... It would be trivial do in UnrealScript, though).
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm not sure if the stock U2 buttons support triggering them on and off...
If U2 buttons are not triggerable then that's the good time to use the dirty "attached to a mover" trick described above ;)

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”