For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Playing Unreal 2 SP maps through DM/XMP

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Seth
OldUnreal Member

Playing Unreal 2 SP maps through DM/XMP

Post by Seth »

Is there anyway to play Unreal 2 sp maps through the hidden deathmatch mode and or XMP Community edition?
Last edited by Seth on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodshot
OldUnreal Member

Re: Playing Unreal 2 SP maps through DM/XMP

Post by Bloodshot »

Yes, there should be a checkbox that says "list all maps" or something if you use the mod menu and you can launch the sp maps with the names PA_, like PA_sanctuary and so forth.

AI scripting works, but a lot of scripting doesn't, so you won't hear voices, doors won't open, some levels won't change, etc.

It's a shame too, I'm sure if the game had a more active community there could have been a pretty good co-op mod for it.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Interesting... I thought XMP wouldn't allow SP maps due to dependency changes..

hmm...
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

It doesn't. There are too many differences between Unreal 2 and XMP.

Co-op would either require Unreal 2 to have working netcode, or something like the splitscreen in the Xbox version. The code for getting two players to join the same game and rendering their HUDs and weapons separately isn't in any of the Xbox version *.u files (as far as I know), so that probably wouldn't work too well either.  :(
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

As far as I know, U2's engine is capable of netcode, but no classes use it by default.

the tl;dr is that some classes by default require an engine.u modification to run and it just doesn't work even after that. Some .dll hackage would be required.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”